It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:54 pm

Blending metallic colours advice?

Questions & Tips on painting, converting and photographing models
  • Author

Neiloid

Blending metallic colours advice?

PostSat Sep 16, 2017 6:06 pm

Well it is long overdue that I finally get some colour onto my Scourge fleet, but I am not sure how to go about it and would appreciate some input form the regulars here.

I am planning to go for blending several colours while maintaining a metallic effect, similar to the scheme in the rule book. Trouble is that inks are quite dark and I want to end up with strong colours without going too dark. Mixing a silvery metallic with various inks, then airbrushing seems the obvious way to achieve the desired effect, but it also sounds like the particles in the metallic could clog the airbrush, or the mixture could separate out and give uneven results.
Is this approach viable?
If not, then are there any recommendations on alternative approaches?

Phototoxin

Re: Blending metallic colours advice?

PostSat Sep 16, 2017 9:29 pm

Put silver in first then glaze the inks over the metallic basecoat
If you play DzC on the south coast of the UK, join the South Coast Dropzone Commander Facebook group for the latest info on local events, news, to meet other local players and hear about tournaments!

L. Sabia Byrne

PostSun Sep 17, 2017 2:42 am

Try painting Non Metallic Metal. It will take a bit more work BUT it will firstly look beautiful and secondly you won't suffer any regrets so about mixing metallic and non metallic pigments. :D
You're going to need a MUCH bigger gun my friend!

http://brushesandbayonets.blogspot.co.uk/
http://www.solarismedia.tv

Phototoxin

PostTue Sep 19, 2017 9:45 pm

Also if you run something like vallejo model air colour metallics - they are made for airbrush so the pigment is finer and doesn't clog up as much as regular paint.

Provided you can thin it, it can be airbrushed!
If you play DzC on the south coast of the UK, join the South Coast Dropzone Commander Facebook group for the latest info on local events, news, to meet other local players and hear about tournaments!

Klarg1

PostTue Sep 26, 2017 1:41 pm

Phototoxin wrote:Put silver in first then glaze the inks over the metallic basecoat

I'm with phytotoxin. glaze some thin inks over a bright, bright silver. The brighter your base coat, the brighter the end result will be. (I also recommend thinning your inks and taking it slow to see how dark they become.)

There are metallics even brighter than silver. Vallejo makes one, but the name escapes me. Scale75 "Speed Metal" or Reaper "Pearl White" are also, essentially, shiny white paint. If you want to go crazy, you can start by blending those with more normal silver/steel colors to establish light/dark, and then go crazy with the inks for color.
Forsan et haec olim pinxisse iuvabit

I maintain a Miniatures Blog, full of detailed WIPs and random miniatures-ramblings.You can read it here: http://blindmetalminis.blogspot.com

Abrusio

PostWed Sep 27, 2017 6:46 am

I think the brightest metallic color from vallejo is metal color "white aluminium" (or "aluminium"). They also have a special black gloss primer to enhance the metallics even more, and a special varnish. The bottles are more expensive than regular paint (here it is 5-8€ depending of the store) but according to at least one pro painter, it's the best acrylic metal in the business, and I agree.

http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/en_US/metal-color/family/33

EvilMonkeyLord

PostTue Oct 10, 2017 2:23 pm

I did the same as other already mentioned:
1) I started with silver (shiny) base coat (in my case, I painted it over black sparyed undercoat)
2) I washed the metal with a black wash, this will give it a natural shade, and will cause the other colour washes in the recesses not to become very
3) i applied several (2 or 3) layers of coloured washes, whilst applying a bit of blending when I applied the last layer

I used Purple and Green washes, where I blended the purple into the green when the green was still wet. The outer edges wher purple and the inside green. I applied the last layer of purple from the outside to the inside for a ' smooth' effect.
You can reach this effect of multiple steps quite quickly, as applying washes on DFC ships is simple and fast; You can do multiple ships at once.

midas

PostFri Dec 01, 2017 12:11 am

you want to blend silvery matallics with each other, like bright silver with dark silver?
or different metalic colors with each other, like red metallic with blue metallic?

generally speaking, if you try the first, you end up with "highlighting metals". the second is likely to produce weird results which depend on the specific brand and type of color you use.

i think, what you are trying to achieve, is done better by basecoating in silver, darkening with ink (sepia, smoke or black) and applying colored inks (or translucent washes). blending the washes produces predictable traditional results, like purple if you use red and blue, contrary to colored metallics.
the DFC scourge studio paintjob is done this way.
http://mageknightkevin.blogspot.de/2017 ... fleet.html
http://mageknightkevin.blogspot.de/2017 ... ickar.html

Return to Painting and Modelling