It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:37 am

Is there a discernible difference with DZC Premium Starters?

Questions & Tips on painting, converting and photographing models
  • Author

juz

Is there a discernible difference with DZC Premium Starters?

PostMon Sep 18, 2017 4:07 am

Hey all,
Just wondering if anyone had any close up shots of the difference between a premium starter set and a regular starter set in DZC? Yet to play DZC but tempted to grab a few before 2nd Edition hits and would like to know if there's a noticeable difference in some or all factions regular plastic versus resins once painted. :D

apart from this awesome page :)

http://natfka.blogspot.com.au/2013/09/d ... resin.html

Many thanks
J

Abrusio

Re: Is there a discernible difference with DZC Premium Start

PostMon Sep 18, 2017 6:54 am

I don't have every resin versions of the plastic vehicles but I have most of them. Here is what I can say :

The differences between the plastic and resin vehicles are mostly negligible except if you are very nit-picky. Main differences are for the UCM Condor, clear canopy for the plastic one, solid canopy for the resin one (if you paint the canopy it is almost the same). Resin bears come in two halves that requires some filling or it will leave a very ugly gap. Other factions vehicles are mostly similar between resin and plastic, except details on the resin are a little more pronounced, but it's really minor.

On the other hand, the plastic infantry is really bad (PHR are the worst, UCM are really bad, Shaltari are very weird, only scourge is ok). The metal ones from the "premium starter" are good for all factions.

My advice : You may want to buy a plastic starter set, toss the plastic infantry in the garbage can (or put it in the bitz box) and grab an infantry blister. If you are buying Scourge, you can keep the infantry. It should remain way cheaper than the resin starter set.

juz

PostMon Sep 18, 2017 11:25 am

thank you for your reply...
yeah I'm not too picky, but I can appreciate good resin , especially when I'm feeling cashed up and the wife isnt looking.
Yeah ..just saw the images of the infantry and I can see what you mean...

Mike Mee

PostMon Sep 18, 2017 2:51 pm

IMO

Plastic Starter Pros:- Easy to assemble - cheap - UCM Bear is by far better than the resin one - Clear canopy is cool - More durable
Plastic Starter Cons:- Don't hold as much detail - Plastic infantry are rubbish - Condors may need straightening - Only starter models are plastic....

Resin Pros:- Much better details - Metal infantry
Resin Cros:- Way more expensive entry - Can be a pain to clean up - Resin Bear is the worst - models may need straightening ;)

Well that's what I can think off the top of my head anyway. Pretty much what Abrusio said ;-)

Mike Mee

PostMon Sep 18, 2017 2:52 pm

Abrusio wrote:My advice : You may want to buy a plastic starter set, toss the plastic infantry in the garbage can (or put it in the bitz box) and grab an infantry blister. If you are buying Scourge, you can keep the infantry. It should remain way cheaper than the resin starter set.

+1

Suzume

PostMon Sep 18, 2017 6:29 pm

Mike Mee wrote:
Abrusio wrote:My advice : You may want to buy a plastic starter set, toss the plastic infantry in the garbage can (or put it in the bitz box) and grab an infantry blister. If you are buying Scourge, you can keep the infantry. It should remain way cheaper than the resin starter set.

+1

+2
15-4-3
Nova Open 2015 DZC: 3rd
Huzzah Hobbies, Jan 2016 DZC: 2nd
Huzzah Hobbies, May 2016 DZC: 3rd
Nova Open 2016 DZC: 3rd
Origins 2017: DZC: 2nd
Origins 2017: DFC: 3rd
Huzzah Hobbies, July 2017 DZC: 2nd

I like type 1s and bronze medals.

Return to Painting and Modelling