It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:05 pm

Army Painter Color Primers

Questions & Tips on painting, converting and photographing models
  • Author

Nobody

Army Painter Color Primers

PostWed Oct 11, 2017 4:47 am

Question on these: I've seen in a few places where people will say that they just spray on the color primer, and then just pick out details/highlight/shade. I think it's even suggested for one version of the UCM color scheme on the assembly instructions.

I'll admit I'm not used to the idea of bare primer (even if it's a different color) so I wanted to confirm if this is something that's done (and not frowned upon) as it'd make my dropfleet painting a whole lot easier.

LiamK

Re: Army Painter Color Primers

PostWed Oct 11, 2017 7:58 am

We use army painter spray cans and quite often just spray straight onto the plastic or resin (washing resin is personal preference but it always helps).

In the tutorial below Dave demonstrates a very easy UCM scheme for Dropzone Commander, however the same techniques can easily be applied to Dropfleet Models.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rq4Boo4xog

Step 1: Spray your base colour
Step 2: Wash/Ink with a black ink/oil
Step 3: Drybrush with a slightly lighter colour than your base coat.
Optional Step 4: Drybrush again with a lighter colour then your previous drybrush layer.
Step 5: Pick out the metallic areas: Gun Barrels etc
Step 6: Wash/Ink the Metallic areas with a dark colour like black or dark brown depending on the look you want to achieve.
Step 7: Pick out the details: Lights, Cockpits, Tracks etc.

I use the above method myself for my UCM

ZombiePirate

PostWed Oct 11, 2017 8:59 am

I use Army Painter coloured primers for a lot of my stuff now, they make things a whole lot easier. I did my entire Scourge Dropzone army using the Chainmail spray with a couple of washes and some detailing. Not going to win any painting prizes because I just wanted them done quick, but they look perfectly fine on the table top. I'm currently painting a 2k Dark Angels army and have used the Skeleton Bone and Angels Green sprays and it's saved me a bucket load of time as I'm not having to paint in the base colours of the regular Marines and then the Deathwing. Especially when it comes to the vehicles having the base colour laid down in primer means I can just get on with shades, highlights and detailing. I'd never go back to non-coloured primers if there was a uniform colour scheme for the army that I was painting.

Mike Mee

PostWed Oct 11, 2017 4:56 pm

Just don't break down if army painter ruins your models 8-)

Nobody

PostWed Oct 11, 2017 10:45 pm

Thanks guys! Yeah I have a bit of a block when it comes to that style thanks to years of "no bare primer" for tournaments in other systems.

Mike Mee wrote:Just don't break down if army painter ruins your models 8-)

I've used the color primer before (Just basecoating over it with slightly different colors) and I've not run into this.

juz

PostThu Oct 12, 2017 1:37 am

warm coloured primer cans in warm to hot water first, shaking up well too and there'll be no issue with close ,quick passes.
Since doing this I've had zero issues with Army painter primer.

Platemetal primer and a wash or two with dark tone (NOT DIP!) will do wonders for a base coat. in fact after this Ucm just need a few panels of white and you are done to TableTop standard. :)

Petrov

PostFri Oct 13, 2017 9:01 pm

i would use tamiya primer from an airbrush.
Spray cans can be very difficult to control, it is like priming from the fire hose, too many details that can be covered up.
Some people can control them well enough I am not one of them.
Since I gloss coat stuff for washes I try to keep the primer and paint thing to avoid obscuring details

Return to Painting and Modelling