It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:51 pm

Meet La Resistance - Update: Thunderstorm and new Army Shots

Questions & Tips on painting, converting and photographing models
  • Author

killionaire

Meet La Resistance - Update: Thunderstorm and new Army Shots

PostSun Nov 16, 2014 12:20 am

Hey everyone,

I played DZC way back a bit after release with some of a friend's models, and found it fun, but it didn't really stick at the time. Recently, I've rediscovered the game in particular with the gorgeousness of the Resistance. So, I took on the starter set plus a few blisters on a few random evenings, and I'm pleased with the result.

The models are so well detailed and a pleasure to paint. There's very little repetition, and a lot of character in them. I think I'll post this to the November contest as well.

La Resistance: Approximately 1500 points, with UCM Forward special forces elements.

Lifthawk Dropships 'Big Sky' and 'Gas Guzzler', sadly awaiting a bit of time when I can give them proper 1940s Nose Art, and the main armor group. The Zhukov's guns are glowing a bit, as to reflect their poorer shielding and bulkier capacitors for such early tech.

'Road Warriors' Technicals gang. At least one of them used to be a taxi.

Love those Rag-tag resistance fighters. They've taken to spraypainting large red 'V's on rubble in their city, and have a complete lack of uniform gear. Also, the three Flak Trucks behind, clearly once a large bus, a semi trailer and a flatbed truck.

Cyclone Squadron 'Swamp Tigers' provide heavy AT support with their distinctive (mostly scratched) swamp camo.

UCM's MF-B 'November 7' squad, optimized for close range engagements directly deployed from dropship.

Pathfinder Archangel-S with extended sensors and maneuvering stabilizers.
Last edited by killionaire on Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:53 am, edited 3 times in total.

Daniel36

Hawk Talon

Re: Meet La Resistance

PostSun Nov 16, 2014 11:24 am

Absolutely stunning job! Those are going to look amazing on the table! Congrats on a job well done.
Officially Holland's #4 Dropzone Commander Player!
Now with added Moderator Powers!

Delta

PostSun Nov 16, 2014 6:32 pm

I love the way you painted these. Especially the pre war military models. I think the green is the best looking color for them. Really nicely done. What kind of techniques did you use? Did you use an airbrush?
If my avatar seems oddly familiar it is because it is from Advance Wars.

feindusmaximus

Hawk Talon

PostMon Nov 17, 2014 2:55 am

Nice job

killionaire

PostMon Nov 17, 2014 5:03 am

Delta wrote:I love the way you painted these. Especially the pre war military models. I think the green is the best looking color for them. Really nicely done. What kind of techniques did you use? Did you use an airbrush?

Thanks!

It's actually a very simple technique. As an example for the pre-war green models, I basically took a green military color (Reaper Master Series Olive Drab), made a 60/40 mix in a wet pallette with Thinner Medium, and gave a white primer'ed vehicle a wash. It settles in, and the natural tones of the paint create diversity in the color.

the rest are similar mixtures of other colors (greys to thin out slightly, browns and ambers), then I hit it with a simple wash of GW pre-made 'Earthshade' wash. Then, lightly pick out details like lights and dots.

Afterwards, I edge little details that'd catch the shape of the edges with P3 Paint Menoth White Highlight (which honestly is the most useful paint in the world), and that's it.

Any particular batch of vehicles can get done in a day. I finished the Cyclones all in about 3 hours. I really do highly recommend wash-over-white, then wash-down painting. It's an easy technique that's fast.

Darios

Hawk Talon

PostMon Nov 17, 2014 8:36 pm

awesome... Oo

dazlamb

PostWed Dec 31, 2014 5:48 pm

Great stuff and it's given me some inspiration for me to do my lifthawks. Really like the way the army looks like it all belong together without being too uniform.

Mike Mee

PostThu Jan 01, 2015 5:45 pm

Very nice dude, are you planning on expanding on the army?

killionaire

PostFri Jan 09, 2015 9:58 pm

Planning on it. I've had a hard time finding some other releases, but I got battle busses and the Hellhog to do. And a Drill. Still haven't seen an intact blister of Freeriders though.

Also, thanks Hawk for replacement parts. :) Got 'em!

Dalzzor

PostWed Jan 14, 2015 7:33 pm

They look absolutely amazing resistance have been such a good addition to the DZC universe
Next

Return to Painting and Modelling