It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:44 pm

Meet La Resistance - Update: Thunderstorm and new Army Shots

Questions & Tips on painting, converting and photographing models
  • Author

SwordOfJustice

Hawk Talon

Re: Meet La Resistance - Update: Freeriders, Drill and Bus

PostSun Mar 29, 2015 6:48 am

Is it possible for models to be too good? 11 out of 10? Those are just perfect! Seriously.
We have evolved beyond mere flesh and bone. We are the Post Human Republic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBC9LIUpKeo

SwordOfJustice

Hawk Talon

PostMon Mar 30, 2015 9:30 am

Seriously, Killionaire, that is stunning. I'd love to know how you did that last batch you've just posted. I intend to pick up a Resistance army later this year.

That metal on the drill is simply perfect. It looks worn and dusty. You have paint drips on the graffiti. Even the rubble looks perfect with a mix of grey and brown, it looks like rubbled earth and rock.

The bus yellow is spot on. It's faded just right. Some of the metal plates look rusted with being over the top and other plates look fresh. The other bus has perfectly faded paint on it.

I'd love to know what colours and techniques you used to achieve all of that.

The basing on the Free Riders is also superb, top notch.
We have evolved beyond mere flesh and bone. We are the Post Human Republic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBC9LIUpKeo

onine

Re: Meet La Resistance

PostMon Mar 30, 2015 9:39 am

killionaire wrote:

It actually looks dusty! How the heck did ya do that!?

Are those freeriders popping wheelies conversions too? Nice touch man!

LocalHoRst

PostMon Mar 30, 2015 11:07 am

Absolute brilliant. I'd like to see a tutorial here :D
Like the previous posters, I' was asking myself how did you create this dusty worn metal look. It's really great.
My personal painting blog: http://www.local-horst.com
My Google+ Community for Dropzone Commander: https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/117639337020334364837

killionaire

PostTue Mar 31, 2015 1:58 am

I'll make a tutorial next time, I've got some random other stuff on my paint table that could work for that.

Honestly, the technique I use is very simple and doesn't take much effort. I think most people who have even a moderate level of experience could do it well.

Drill example: I primed+painted that guy up the night before the Endgame tournament, as it was going to be my first use of the Drill in deploying Freeriders. I don't use an airbrush, or pigments, or any modelmaker tricks. Just some paints, white primer, thinner medium / flow improver, and some GW Wash.

But in basic steps:

1. Prime white always, with Duplicolor White Sandable Automotive Primer (accept no alternatives! Several hobby primers are just this stuff rebranded. Many pro painters use it and it's great). Also, use a brush with a very sharp point. I recommend Windsor Newton Series 7: One brush so far has lasted me ~5 years.
2. Ran over three primary colors: 'Light metal', 'Dark Metal' and 'Tan Metal'). Picked a light grey (GW Administratum Grey), a medium/dark grey (Privateer Ironhull Grey) and a Tank (Bleached Bone), and used those for 90 percent of the model to provide a base.
3. (Here's where shading happens), Made washes out of some muddy colors. Any muddy colors will do. Combined 80% 'Thinner Medium' with a drop of Flow Improver, with the paint then slathered it willy-nilly over the surfaces. Let it dry, which creates color shading on it's own. You'll get used to knowing when to use a paint-less brush to 'pick up' some blobs of extra paint from the surface.
4. Wash it again with a different muddy color, or GW's pre-made 'Agrax Earthshade' wash.
5. Wash other things other colors. Like the rust/mud on the drill bit was an orange-brown wash.
6. Drybrush a stone grey over the broken rubble, and another grey over the tank treads.
7. Pick out details, add freehand, clean up whatever made a mess from washing.

All in all, probably about 2 hours, most of it was spent doing other stuff as paint had to dry.

---

As for the 'rusted plates', I actually make them all sorts of various light-ish colors. Tans, light oranges, browns, greys, olives... then wash them with GW Earthshade (giving them all a brownish hue), then touch them up with quick slashes of an off-white vanilla , to create the scratches. Rusty-ish spots are made by a wet, diluted wash of a brown or orange, which leaves everything looking not-too-uniform.

That's one nice thing about 'scrap' vehicles: If you miss with your brush, it's ok! It looks fine anyway :)

killionaire

Re: Meet La Resistance - Update: (Sorta Tutorial)

PostWed Apr 15, 2015 9:01 am

Hey all.

Not explicitly DZC related as a Tutorial (else I'll put it in the Tutorial section), but I made a quick demo on an Infinity model of the techniques I used for the DZC models. In this case, it's the android Joan of Arc 1.0, from Infinity:

http://infinitytheforums.com/forum/inde ... 0-minutes/

Image to Image

When I next do some Dropzone models, I'll make a specific one for those. But a lot of these techniques are directly applicable for your Dropzone guys, especially the wash-and-darken principle for deeper but still vivid colors.

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostTue Apr 21, 2015 5:47 am

That's the best looking Drill I've seen yet!

Also, it never occurred to me to orient the Freeriders that way. That's the second time I've seen that technique tonight! I'm going to have to break out the UnCure and pop my (thankfully unpainted) Freeriders off their bases and reposition them. The stripe running down the road really gives them a sense of speed!
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

killionaire

Re: Meet La Resistance - Update: Flame Trucks and Tutorial L

PostThu Apr 30, 2015 7:32 am

Hey guys,
I just added a tutorial here on this link for my paint technique:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6568

But here's the flame trucks that came out of it :)

I do hope to get good use out of these guys. Get to burning those jellyfish freaks!

Mike Mee

PostThu Apr 30, 2015 2:01 pm

Your Flame Wagons are looking cool dude :D

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostFri May 01, 2015 6:42 am

Very nice! Very realistic, authentic look you've got going there. Will have to check out your technique when I get around to working on my Wagons, Technicals, Battle Buses and Freeriders. You've got the look I imagined for them... Saving and starring the email notification for this post!... :D
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com
PreviousNext

Return to Painting and Modelling