It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:19 am

CotWs Dropfleet Commander Showcase

Questions & Tips on painting, converting and photographing models
  • Author

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

Re: CotWs Dropfleet Commander Showcase

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 6:10 pm

Finally have some new stuff to post here! I finished my Scourge Nickar Corvettes (the official ones this time). I'm in a new place now and don't have a great place to take pictures so they are a little washed out. I'll see if they look better in the FLGS next time I play. The darker blue ones in the back are more true to what they actually look like in person. Have to say while I still am not a fan of the sculpt it does look much nicer in person and painted than they do in just pictures.

Up next is these guys. Busy work bench as I'm doing the whole batch at once. I find when I Nuln Oil wash things sometimes the effect is different so I want that step done at the same time. Not sure if I'm just not shaking the wash up enough or my water ratios are different. Also have 8 more UCM Frigates with the primer drying on them to add to this bunch. I originally planned on making them snap fit (many are) but have so many frigates after the KS and trading that it really isn't needed anymore :lol: . Think at the end I will have 3 Lima, 4 Jakarta, 6 Toulon, 4 Taipei and 11 New Orleans plus 6 Santiago and 6 Normandy class corvettes.

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostSat Apr 29, 2017 6:40 am

Nice! Those UCM frigates are quite striking.

With Nuln Oil, I always mix mine about 1.5:1 to 2:1 with Lahman Medium (Nuln:Medium). It's much better than using water! You also do need to shake the Nuln Oil up quite vigorously, and it can go bad if it's too old -- my first UCM tanks got ruined by a bad batch of Nuln Oil, had to re-spray them (I base coat most of my stuff with Army Painter colored spray paint -- I don't bother with primer and then a base color, the AP sprays work fine as both...)

Hope that helps!
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

PostSun Apr 30, 2017 5:47 pm

Thanks for the tip!

Here is a better more natural shot of the Nickar:

LiamK

PostTue May 02, 2017 11:08 am

Liking the Colour scheme, very natural looking!

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

PostFri May 19, 2017 7:06 pm

Thanks Liam!

Got some more work done on my UCM this week! Just in time for tonights game I have 7 New Orleans all ready to go. I have also finished all 12 of my corvettes both Santiago and Normandy class but seem to have deleted the pic after posting it on FB.

Hopefully I remember to take some more pictures tonight at the local FLGS as I finally have a game arranged this month! Better lighting there too so these guys will look a lot better as well. Now on to the next batch of 7...

LiamK

PostMon May 22, 2017 9:15 am

Make sure you submit these to the painting competition :) I am going to get Dave to sit down and hand pick the winner and runner up this month!

Mike Mee

PostMon May 22, 2017 10:14 am

Hawk Liam wrote:Make sure you submit these to the painting competition :) I am going to get Dave to sit down and hand pick the winner and runner up this month!

Is this the point where you start accepting bribes ;)

LiamK

PostMon May 22, 2017 12:32 pm

Mike Mee wrote:
Hawk Liam wrote:Make sure you submit these to the painting competition :) I am going to get Dave to sit down and hand pick the winner and runner up this month!

Is this the point where you start accepting bribes ;)

I'll take a bribe, cannot promise it means you win though :P

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

PostWed May 31, 2017 8:26 pm

Sent in my Scourge for painting comp. Will have more UCM pics up this week as I am now down to my last 4 frigates and will have a nice group shot of them on my new orbital mat as well!

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

PostFri Jun 09, 2017 3:14 am

Have some more interesting shots to show off today! Finished all my frigates and corvettes. Got my new gaming mat as well! Sadly I didn't bring enough bases to the FLGS where the lighting is better but at least you get to see all my frigates done in one place! Next I will probably do an Avlaon 8-)

PreviousNext

Return to Painting and Modelling