UCM engine glow

Questions & Tips on painting, converting and photographing models
  • Author

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

Re: UCM engine glow

PostMon Mar 20, 2017 6:46 pm

Seret wrote:
Kelbesq wrote:The cruisers in game are ~1km long and presumably extremely massive, so I get that turning instantly might not be practical.

If you can push a vehicle that size to escape velocity, the energy required to rotate is absolutely trivial.

You do understand that these ships are built in space docks orbiting the gas giant Niccolum, right? Other than the Strike Carriers which can get into atmosphere, they don't need to achieve escape velocity. Also, there's the anti-grav tech...
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

Seret

PostMon Mar 20, 2017 7:22 pm

Cheers for the recommendations, but yeah they do seem to be at the simulation end of the wargaming spectrum, which isn't really for me.

My issue isn't the level of detail, DFC actually has quite a lot of detail. It's the fundamental assumptions the rules are based on. FWIW one of my favourite space ship games right now is Freejumper, which is a lot simpler than DFC. There are some things DFC does very well (setting it in orbit to make sense of the 2D tabletop is great) but there are also some things that are as dumb as a bag of rocks. Bottom line though is I backed it, and I'm interested in it as a campaign game linked to ground combat but I'm definitely still looking for someone to do big space battles right..
Last edited by Seret on Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seret

PostMon Mar 20, 2017 7:44 pm

J.D. Welch wrote:You do understand that these ships are built in space docks orbiting the gas giant Niccolum, right? Other than the Strike Carriers which can get into atmosphere, they don't need to achieve escape velocity. Also, there's the anti-grav tech...

They still have enough Δv to transfer between wherever the foldspace nodes are and orbit, which implies large changes in velocity. Also, the things fight with directed energy weapons. They've got ridiculous amounts of energy. Rotating is easy peasy in space.

The designers didn't limit the ships' ability to rotate based on a solid engineering principle, they did it because they were operating within the mindset of "must move like a boat". Generally in most sci-fi the big ships move like boats, and the little ones move like aircraft.
Previous

Return to Painting and Modelling