It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:41 am

Bloodstone-class Shaltari battlecruiser proxy

Questions & Tips on painting, converting and photographing models
  • Author

starbreaker

Bloodstone-class Shaltari battlecruiser proxy

PostSat Feb 18, 2017 10:47 pm

Kitbashing an Adamant/Ruby-class proxy, since the former are stupidly rare and expensive and the latter aren't coming soon enough:

The core hull is built out of four light cruiser hull spares, the rest is pretty much standard subassemblies. Think it works quite nicely for the job.

Scale shots with a couple of Opals:

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

Re: Bloodstone-class Shaltari battlecruiser proxy

PostMon Feb 20, 2017 4:07 am

Clever. Well done!

Too bad the general release Battlecruisers aren't going to be out for a while... :(
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

starbreaker

PostMon Feb 20, 2017 7:47 pm

J.D. Welch wrote:Clever. Well done!

Thanks, pretty happy with it. The look's certainly Shaltari enough.

Too bad the general release Battlecruisers aren't going to be out for a while... :(

Hence the kitbash. I'm certainly not paying for a Kickstarter version, even if the kitbash effectively eats the key parts (ie the outrigger wings) of two cruisers. Still likely to be less expensive than the official minis if the battleships are any indication. The spares will go towards building a drifting hulk or 3D debris anyway, so not a great loss.

Probably should've magnetized or pinned the weapon mounts so I could do both battlecruisers but this was a proof of concept build and I didn't want to get fancy. There's probably a more part-efficient way to use leftovers for these, will continue to experiment.

Looking at doing kitbashes for the other races' battlecruisers as well. Whether I get to them before the release of the "real" figures...well, better hurry up, Hawk. :)

Bengt

PostTue Feb 21, 2017 7:17 am

starbreaker wrote:Hence the kitbash. I'm certainly not paying for a Kickstarter version, even if the kitbash effectively eats the key parts (ie the outrigger wings) of two cruisers.

The kickstarter version does that as well (you get a resin hull and two cruiser sprues) so you are not losing anything there.

BobtheInquisitor

PostThu Feb 23, 2017 6:20 am

That is a great conversion! It really makes me want to get to work on my Shaltari. Thank you for sharing it.

Would you also be able to make a light cruiser proxy from the remaining top fins and a cruiser hull or troop saucer? Might stretch that gaming dollar...

starbreaker

PostThu Feb 23, 2017 10:52 pm

BobtheInquisitor wrote:That is a great conversion! It really makes me want to get to work on my Shaltari. Thank you for sharing it.

Would you also be able to make a light cruiser proxy from the remaining top fins and a cruiser hull or troop saucer? Might stretch that gaming dollar...

Oh, you could probably throw something together, although you'll always wind up short the big outrigger pieces that the guns usually attach too. Finding something to do with all your leftover Emerald saucers seems like it should be top priority, especially if you can use up a bunch of extra weapon parts too.

L. Sabia Byrne

PostSun Feb 26, 2017 10:03 pm

Nice!

Veeeeeeeeery nice work! :ugeek:
You're going to need a MUCH bigger gun my friend!

http://brushesandbayonets.blogspot.co.uk/
http://www.solarismedia.tv

starbreaker

PostSun Mar 05, 2017 3:32 pm

A few more images alongside a magnetized battleship for a better sense of size:

Return to Painting and Modelling