It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:15 pm

Decals for dropfleet?

Questions & Tips on painting, converting and photographing models
  • Author

TheSaxFactor

Decals for dropfleet?

PostThu Mar 02, 2017 10:40 pm

Hey everyone

Was thinking it'd be nice to have some decals (aka water-slide transfers) to add a little more detail to my fleet. Just things like numbers, squadron markings, etc. Problem is, all the decals I have left over from 40k are far too large, and it's impossible to tell the size of most decals sold online (they tell you the scale they're intended for, but not the physical size).

Has anyone else tried this and/or has any recommendations as a starting point?

ElectricPaladin

Re: Decals for dropfleet?

PostThu Mar 02, 2017 10:43 pm

Fighting Piranha Graphics will do waterslide transfers to your specifications, but they take a VERY long time.
Space Hedgehog

Klarg1

PostThu Mar 02, 2017 11:35 pm

You can get decal paper, if you have access to a decent printer.

I printed some mid-grade UCM decals for myself, but have not gotten them into use just yet. (The catch is that decal sheets can be pretty expensive, so you want to use the whole sheet, and you can fit a lot onto a standard sheet of printer paper.)
Forsan et haec olim pinxisse iuvabit

I maintain a Miniatures Blog, full of detailed WIPs and random miniatures-ramblings.You can read it here: http://blindmetalminis.blogspot.com

ElectricPaladin

PostThu Mar 02, 2017 11:42 pm

Klarg1 wrote:You can get decal paper, if you have access to a decent printer.

I printed some mid-grade UCM decals for myself, but have not gotten them into use just yet. (The catch is that decal sheets can be pretty expensive, so you want to use the whole sheet, and you can fit a lot onto a standard sheet of printer paper.)

I'm going to counter and say that when I printed my own decals, they were not very high quality, and I had to go over them with paint. While they were an excellent guide for freehanding, that might not work as well for something so damn small as squad numbers on a space ship.
Space Hedgehog

Pirannha

PostSat Mar 04, 2017 1:25 am

ElectricPaladin wrote:Fighting Piranha Graphics will do waterslide transfers to your specifications, but they take a VERY long time.

Thanks for the plug EP. I haven't looked to much at Dropfleet since I don't have any models but I am working on some stuff for Dropzone. Nothing official of course, but if Dave wants to talk ideas I'm all ears.

Return to Painting and Modelling