It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:37 am

UCM (Christoph Schult style!)

Questions & Tips on painting, converting and photographing models
  • Author

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

Re: UCM (Christoph Schult style!)

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 5:34 am

Attackmack wrote:On another note, is there a good way to darken the tone of a highlight, or reduce highlighting overall? Adide from completely repainting that is.

A decent coat of matte varnish will dull down the colors. Not too much, but a few light coats of a good spray varnish. I use Krylon Matte Finish, I get it at Wal-Mart. It's inexpensive and easy to find. Just don't overdo it, and don't varnish when it's very humid, or your whole model will frost up! (Any spray varnish will do that...)

If you don't want to go that route, then a thinned application of the right color wash will darken it up a bit, too, but still keep the tone you want. I thin my Citadel washes with Lahman Medium, which works nicely. Thin (light), thinned-out coats, a little at a time, until you've got it where you want it.

Hope that helps...
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

minamoto

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 12:10 pm

Attackmack wrote:On another note, is there a good way to darken the tone of a highlight, or reduce highlighting overall? Adide from completely repainting that is.

There's a fiddly way in doing this, choose a "medium-highlight-colour" in between your highlight- and base-colour and draw a line over the highlight you want to undo. So you can slightly tone down your first highlight. But that's rather lots of work to do. Unlike washing this gives you more control and the colour change can be more subtle. If you want to generally tone down the colour you can do as J.D.W suggested and use thinned washes.

J.D. Welch wrote:If you don't want to go that route, then a thinned application of the right color wash will darken it up a bit, too, but still keep the tone you want. I thin my Citadel washes with Lahman Medium, which works nicely. Thin (light), thinned-out coats, a little at a time, until you've got it where you want it.
https://gunsandwaffles.net/ - hobby source, forum and a gentlemen`s club

Attackmack

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 7:30 pm

Thanks for the tips guys. I got some highlighting to sort out on the ships before moving on, most of it I'm okay with but some turned out very crude and strong.

Gonna try mixing a "medium" shade and paint over and see how it turns out.
Previous

Return to Painting and Modelling