It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 6:50 pm

UCM (Christoph Schult style!)

Questions & Tips on painting, converting and photographing models
  • Author

Attackmack

UCM (Christoph Schult style!)

PostSat Mar 25, 2017 7:57 pm

Through The Hot LZ podcast and blog I learned about the great tutorial by Christoph Schult!
So as a beginner to painting, and airbrushing especially, I was inspired enought to finally start painting my DFC minis!
These are work in progress and only just been washed so engines, details and some more lighting is to be added but so far so good :)

Last edited by Attackmack on Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Attackmack

Re: UCM (Christopher Schult style!)

PostSat Mar 25, 2017 7:58 pm

Anyway to resize the images in the post?? :oops:

Brunius

PostSun Mar 26, 2017 11:48 am

Nope. In the past I've uploaded smaller pictures as thumbnails, then had them link through to bigger pictures, but the only way is to resize before uploading - there's no way to dynamically resize them in the forum software.

Bistromatic

Hawk Talon

PostSun Mar 26, 2017 1:09 pm

I'm flattered :D

Good work so far, i'm definitely looking forward to seeing them finished. What are your plans for the engine glow? For my personal taste the scheme works because of the teal/orange contrast, for orange stripes maybe a blue engine glow could work?

Also it looks like i'll have to write in, my first name is Christoph without the er ;)

Edit: the image seems to be on imgur, so if you put an l (small L just to be sure) right in front of the .jpg in the url you'll get a large size thumbnail which is usually a good size for forums posts.

Attackmack

PostSun Mar 26, 2017 2:10 pm

Bistromatic wrote:I'm flattered :D

Good work so far, i'm definitely looking forward to seeing them finished. What are your plans for the engine glow? For my personal taste the scheme works because of the teal/orange contrast, for orange stripes maybe a blue engine glow could work?

Also it looks like i'll have to write in, my first name is Christoph without the er ;)

Edit: the image seems to be on imgur, so if you put an l (small L just to be sure) right in front of the .jpg in the url you'll get a large size thumbnail which is usually a good size for forums posts.

Perfect, thanks for the imgur tip, mr Christoph :)
Im gonna get all my ships up to this point until I continue with more details as im likely gonna have to do some trial and error to get it right! I actually put two ships aside for this purpose previously on which ive tried different techniques and schemes, those are ruined now so ive replaced them with two new cruisers!
But its likely ill just do a slight airbrush effect as lighting from the engines. Blue is the plan to not interfere too much woith the orange striping but nothing is decided yet :)

And thank you for your tutorial, it was easy to follow and lets a beginner like me get a decent result so I very much appreciate you sharing your method!

Attackmack

Re: UCM (Christoph Schult style!)

PostSun Mar 26, 2017 8:54 pm

Ive been wondering if i should make the highlighting go from the bottom instead of the top to portray the light reflecting off the planet. Im afraid it might look weird though or remove details from the models, the top is after all where the models will usually be viewed.

I might try on one

Attackmack

PostMon Mar 27, 2017 4:16 pm

Been having some difficulties with consistency as im all over the place with the preshading and highlighting.
The shade helps tone things down into a somewhat resonable consistency but I need to get better at "feeling" how much is enough to not overdo things.

But all my current UCM cruiser hulls are now up to this point and ready for details and finishing up some bad spots! So next up is getting the frigates to the same and then ill go from there!

Thinking of ordering some custom stands from litko, probably just regular square ones with arc lines etched to them and possibly some dice holders.

Akdakkar

Hawk Talon

PostTue Mar 28, 2017 5:40 am

It looks really great.

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostTue Mar 28, 2017 6:08 am

That color scheme looks hauntingly familiar... Can't quite put my finger on it...

;)

Very nice.
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

Attackmack

PostTue Mar 28, 2017 8:03 am

Akdakkar wrote:It looks really great.

Thank you!

J.D. Welch wrote:That color scheme looks hauntingly familiar... Can't quite put my finger on it...

;)

Very nice.

At first I thought you were refering to starwars and the paintjobs on some of the rebel ships!
Then I saw your profile and the penny dropped ;)

On another note, is there a good way to darken the tone of a highlight, or reduce highlighting overall? Adide from completely repainting that is.
Next

Return to Painting and Modelling