It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:44 pm

How to paint black

Questions & Tips on painting, converting and photographing models
  • Author

shel5210

Hawk Talon

How to paint black

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 3:40 am

I am trying to paint my ucm fleet/zone force in a marine force black scheme. Everything I've tried so far was given me a very grey finish. What is the best way to quickly get a good black,on small scale models? Normally on 28mm I'd do an edge highlights, but the ships have so much detail that would be impossible to do that on them

Abrusio

Re: How to paint black

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 6:32 am

First, what black paint are you using ? Citadel GW black is known to be quite bad at being black. I use vallejo black, but there are some good blacks in other ranges as well.

Shading black is tricky, if you shade it like any other color you end up with a grey finish like you say. I've read that one way to do it quickly would be to just use a gloss black and pick only a few select edges to highlight.

If you already painted a model and it looks grey, you can give it a couple wash with nuln oil or another black wash to darken it, then repaint some of the edges again to recreate more contrast.

I saw a good tutorial on how to do it (but it looked quite time consuming), I'll try to get my hand on it again.

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 2:49 pm

Nuln Oil is how I do it. I typically primer black and then drybrush a medium gray over everything. Wash it with Nuln to dull it back down and then go very light with another grey drybrush coat picking out only what you want to stand out.

Not the most complicated or extensive advice I know but it works for my tabletop quality stuff.

Mike Mee

PostMon Apr 24, 2017 5:09 pm

Spray black, line highlight grey, jobs a good'un 8-)

Return to Painting and Modelling