It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:43 pm

Plans for the Future

Questions & Tips on painting, converting and photographing models
  • Author

Alan Davion

Plans for the Future

PostFri May 12, 2017 5:59 pm

So I just received my two Saratoga class light cruisers a couple hours ago, which also happen to be the first real purchase I've made for this game (and probably my only purchase for the foreseeable future), and I have to say I'm amazed at how well detailed they are.

That being said, while I don't have a space setup yet for building or painting models yet, it never hurts to start planning for the future, and with that in mind, I've got a question with regards to painting, or at least preparation for painting.

Is there any line art of the various ships in the game? Specifically the UCM ships?

My painting skills are for lack of a better term, non-existent, and I plan on starting my painting training on models for a couple other table top games that can be painted in more simple patterns, and the Dropfleet ships would, at least to me, appear to require more thought put into planning the patterns.

So for instance, say I wanted to paint a pattern similar to the Normany SR2 in Systems Alliance colors...

On a UCM Seattle class Carrier...

I'd need an image of the Seattle class that's similar to this...

Hence my question about the existence of line art for the UCM line up of ships.

DrunkCorsair

Re: Plans for the Future

PostSat May 13, 2017 2:52 pm

Well if you just start painting miniatures i would avoid something like the Normandy pattern you showed in the pictures.
Black and white are not realy forgiving as main colors to get them right.

But if i would go for that color sheme, i would build up the white panels, then going for the black and the adding the blue stripes.

I was thinking to use Mass Effect as a source of inspiration too but my preference is MA 2 Normandy sheme with orange.
No Boom today
Maybe Boom tomorrrow.
There is always Boom tomorrow.

Alan Davion

PostSat May 13, 2017 4:04 pm

DrunkCorsair wrote:Well if you just start painting miniatures i would avoid something like the Normandy pattern you showed in the pictures.
Black and white are not realy forgiving as main colors to get them right.

But if i would go for that color sheme, i would build up the white panels, then going for the black and the adding the blue stripes.

I was thinking to use Mass Effect as a source of inspiration too but my preference is MA 2 Normandy sheme with orange.

Well that's part of why I'm asking about blank line art for the ships.

I'm pretty sure that directly copying the Normandy pattern onto the UCM ships isn't going to fly, so I was going to try out different patterns by printing out the pictures of the UCM ships and taking colored pencils to them, trying out different colors in different places.

About the only part of the Normandy pattern I think that will actually would directly copy over is probably the black on the engines.

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

PostSat May 13, 2017 4:20 pm

I dont think that kind of art exists for Dropfleet. The ships are designed in some CAD program and those renders are what you saw when you ordered your Saratogas. The New Orleans bluprint in the rulebook will be the closest I guess.

Maybe see if you can find render shots from the Kickstarter. I cant remember if UCM were shown or not since they were the first models done.

Alan Davion

PostSat May 13, 2017 6:42 pm

Cry of the Wind wrote:I dont think that kind of art exists for Dropfleet. The ships are designed in some CAD program and those renders are what you saw when you ordered your Saratogas. The New Orleans bluprint in the rulebook will be the closest I guess.

Maybe see if you can find render shots from the Kickstarter. I cant remember if UCM were shown or not since they were the first models done.

You would appear to be correct.

There were no renders for the UCM ships aside from the Saratoga when it was shown on the Kickstarter and on the store itself.

And there doesn't appear to be any artwork to be found on places like Deviantart or similar sites.

It would seem I'd have to have such artwork commissioned and I don't have the cash even for something like that.

Bistromatic

Hawk Talon

PostSun May 14, 2017 8:04 am

Photos of unpainted ships are a serviceable base for paint scheme mock-ups if you know your way around photoshop.

Here's an example i did for my own fleet:

If you want to have a look at how i set up the layers, here's the .psd:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4vAKPXX17ZbNUJrMFU3c0NIbUU/view (~340mb)
it's mostly putting each colour over the entire ship and then using masks to control where it's visible

You can see the end result over here: http://www.hawkforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=9867#p88109

Alan Davion

PostSun May 14, 2017 9:17 am

Bistromatic wrote:Photos of unpainted ships are a serviceable base for paint scheme mock-ups if you know your way around photoshop.

Yeah, my computer art skills are even worse off than my hand art skills. So that's unfortunately a non-starter. :shock:

Alan Davion

PostMon May 15, 2017 8:09 pm

Well, just for the sake of experimentation, I went and printed out the 3d render of the Santiago Corvette...

Unfortunately, it came out a lot darker than I'd hoped it would, so I can't just print these 3d renders out and use them.

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

PostTue May 16, 2017 6:15 pm

Did you play with the printer settings at all? You could probably make it very light that way. Maybe too much but then go over the lines with a pen before the pencil crayons come out!

Alan Davion

PostTue May 16, 2017 9:38 pm

Cry of the Wind wrote:Did you play with the printer settings at all? You could probably make it very light that way. Maybe too much but then go over the lines with a pen before the pencil crayons come out!

I didn't, but I'm not really familiar enough with the printer and its settings to attempt mucking around with it.

I did, however, think that if I can gather up enough of the UCM ship 3d renders, I could just print those out, take tracing paper or something to them, trace them out and scan them back into the computer.

Naturally I'd prefer a more orthographic/blueprint style image, but since that kind of image doesn't exist, this seems like the next best idea for the moment.
Next

Return to Painting and Modelling