It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:20 pm

Thoughts on UCM AA

Help your brothers take back the Cradle Worlds!
  • Author

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

Re: Thoughts on UCM AA

PostMon Dec 19, 2016 2:28 pm

Cant go too offtopic in your own thread haha.

I never put Wolverines in Ravens. They are fast enough that they can get most places they need to be on their own. Lots of targets will be coming to you after all.

I fire the Kodiak hitting 5+ fairly often with decent success. Most enemies will spread out so you will hit something with a bad scatter often enough and its still basically a 4+ to hit the original target like you say. Now not rolling a 1 to hit is by far the hardest part of owning a Kodiak...

WizardLizard

PostTue Dec 20, 2016 8:30 pm

You will need scouts if you take Longbows (and you should take Longbows). I find that Wolverines do a reasonable job of scouting though as well as providing some light AA.

As for AA I use Rapiers and Flak teams. Rapiers are extremely proficient at killing light and medium dropships and are reasonably difficult to kill while Flak teams are great at projecting a decent threat bubble as well as finding objectives/scoring.

Wolverines are handy to have although its rare that they will actually kill anything, they have the speed to make surgical strikes on exposed light dropships so they are a good distraction, plus scouting.

A lot of people swear by the Ferrum but I have had very little success with it.

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

PostWed Dec 21, 2016 6:04 pm

I thought I needed scouts and Rapiers always but have found I can get by without most of the time. I've run a few lists without them and didn't run into many problems. Longbows shoot buildings or smoke as often as the enemy directly for me and even then hitting on 4's isn't the end of the world since they are not my AT unit. Kodiak as well normally shooting buildings or with a small blast only gonna hit one tank anyway so a scatter isn't too big a deal. I've found multiple Archangels to be excellent for AA purposes but of course your mileage may vary.

CheeseCake1128

PostMon Jan 09, 2017 12:10 am

I've been thinking about it a little over Christmas and I like the idea of having Flak Teams and Rapiers as sort of defensive AA to protect other units, and having Falcon B's and Archangels as offensive AA to hunt down enemy aircraft. However, I feel that Falcon B's make Wolverine's a little redundant in that they have the same weapons as them. I suppose Wolverine's are still more shots for the points and B's have a better accuracy, but that's only if the Wolverine's don't have a dropship, so the Falcons end up far more maneuverable. Do many people play UCM without scouts at all and do they think it hurts their lists or not?

Also over Christmas I received a blister of Falcon A's (before they were dual blisters with Falcon B's I'd assume) so I'm interested to know if anyone would have the missiles from the Falcon B spare. I can trade them for the Falcon A Gatling Cannons or just simply pay a little for them. If anyone can help or guide me to someone else who can it'd be greatly appreciated. :)

- Cheesecake1128
- CheeseCake1128

Octavian Lars

PostThu Jan 12, 2017 1:29 pm

That definitely seems to fit from a doctrinal point of view, taking the combat forces (Sabres, legionnaires) as the priority for any combat group, all other units exist to make their mission possible and easier
eg:
rapiers and flak: keep pace with armour/infantry and maintain an AA bubble
gladius/scimitar: provide a breakthrough unit/heavy firepower/bullet magnets
praetorians: clear buildings ahead of the grunts
and so on so forth
Brigadier-General of the 4th Legion of Titania
Also, no1 at DzC in elgin academy and my house

Echo24

PostThu Feb 02, 2017 12:33 am

On the Praetorian Snipers,

I run them more often than not as I'm not fond of the Wolverine models. Haven't used the Infiltrate aspect that much but they're a good unit in their own right because they seem to get underestimated a lot. If you can get them into a tall building on one side then you're laughing. And with the E+2 countermeasures make them hard to get out of the building by any means other than CQB. They'll reliably knock out a light dropship or two if it gets too close too.
Canterbury's resident UCM player

CheeseCake1128

PostThu Feb 02, 2017 5:44 am

I've gotta admit, I really do love the sniper models and the concept. I personally quite like the Wolverines as well though so I think they'll be my first choice, but I think I more than likely get some snipers at some point. If I'm honest though, I plan to use Flak Teams as well so I'm unsure about how much they'll be required as AA, so I'm more interested in their anti-infanty role? My main opponent regularly plays with 4 bases of destroyers which I can't move with demo (as they're only put in medium buildings or bigger) or CQB so could snipers be a solution? :)
- CheeseCake1128

Bengt

PostThu Feb 02, 2017 7:14 am

Echo24 wrote:On the Praetorian Snipers,

I run them more often than not as I'm not fond of the Wolverine models. Haven't used the Infiltrate aspect that much but they're a good unit in their own right because they seem to get underestimated a lot. If you can get them into a tall building on one side then you're laughing. And with the E+2 countermeasures make them hard to get out of the building by any means other than CQB. They'll reliably knock out a light dropship or two if it gets too close too.

Well Flame weapons also ignore E countermeasures.

Nobody

PostThu Feb 02, 2017 1:13 pm

CheeseCake1128 wrote:I've gotta admit, I really do love the sniper models and the concept. I personally quite like the Wolverines as well though so I think they'll be my first choice, but I think I more than likely get some snipers at some point. If I'm honest though, I plan to use Flak Teams as well so I'm unsure about how much they'll be required as AA, so I'm more interested in their anti-infanty role? My main opponent regularly plays with 4 bases of destroyers which I can't move with demo (as they're only put in medium buildings or bigger) or CQB so could snipers be a solution? :)

With the current rules, no. You'd need them come to the walls facing your snipers.

There is a ton of demo available to UCM though, I've brought down (regular) medium buildings on one turn before with a dedicated demo battlegroup. The only other option is to kill their dropship before they can disembark.

CheeseCake1128

PostThu Feb 02, 2017 5:51 pm

Yeah I've read that 6 Katanas and an Eagle work well for demo (doing in average exactly 20 dp to a regular building) but I've yet to get the Katanas. I'll be picking 6 up in a weeks time though so should be able to start the battlefield redevelopment soon! :P It's a shame about the snipers though, it's a really cool idea but they seem to be lacking direction a bit in regards of their battlefield role. Still, I think I'll get a few to use in friendly games anyway just for fun. :)
- CheeseCake1128
PreviousNext

Return to UCM - Army Lists and Tactics