It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:03 am

Dropzone/Battletech

Discuss topics not related to the DZC universe
  • Author

Nobody

Re: Dropzone/Battletech

PostFri May 19, 2017 1:06 am

panzer415 wrote:
Nobody wrote:I figured it was just to reference the sad state of the technology used for targeting computers (especially 3025 tech). But in all honesty, even accounting for that, there's very little that'd correspond to active countermeasures in DZC, Something like an Arrow IV wouldn't get nearly the range that it does in Battletech.

I thought the Phantom Mech ability was quietly killed off after 2nd ed Mechwarrior? From what I've read the current crop of designers have declared no magic or psychic powers were involved, and have chalked it up to unreliable narrators.

(Probably helps that in canon there were only 3 Mechwarriors who ever showed that ability, and two of them died early on).

I mentioned the phantom mech skill mainly to point out they have computer targeting assist, and will overide mark one eyeballs.
The early edition blurb certaintly was vague on the point, In theory you are correct with respect the state of Technology, and in the 'Warrior' series of books, it does mention that many of the newly produced mechs were not as technically good as the inherited mechs dating back to the Star League.
But for that matter it does not actually say exactly what the active counter measures are in Dropzone, they are there, but sort of glosses over what they are, which is how it was intially mentioned in BT.
Really how they match up will depend on the ground scale used, and then coverting each to it.
in basic BT using each hex at 30 (not sure if yard or metres) puts a large laser effective range at 3025 at 450 yards/metres. This is based on the ability to target a moving mech, longer ranges being avail to better gunners.
LRMs go out to 600 yards.
Yup short,
But does it give a ground scale for dz?
Are we assuming longer ranges?
plus above in most of the Urban environments we play in DZ, would be more than adequate, look at effective ranges in WW2 in Europe, if fact most modern combat rifles are only sited to 400 yards, as that was all was believed was needed in continental europe, and in fact caused them to bring out Marksmens rifles in Afghanistan.

I believe the standard assumption at this point is that it's a point defense system or reactive armor. There was a thread a couple of years ago where the various options were discussed.

The theory does explain why Active Countermeasures have no effect on energy weapons (the Scimitar's infinite range laser for example).

re: Phantom Mech: Ah, I misunderstood you, I've only dabbled in the Battletech community but my understanding was that it was a...contentious ability.

re: Range: This is where it'd get sticky. Could probably transfer over ranges directly for uncountered range, it'd be the "what is the R(C) of LRMs?" question that'd cause the most trouble I think.

panzer415

PostFri May 19, 2017 10:15 am

'I believe the standard assumption at this point is that it's a point defense system or reactive armor. There was a thread a couple of years ago where the various options were discussed.

The theory does explain why Active Countermeasures have no effect on energy weapons (the Scimitar's infinite range laser for example).

Aaah' got what you mean now.
In above you are correct then, That BT don't have them unless specially equipped.
The BT countermeasures in the vague blurb was always about electronic counter measures to effect targeting rather than stopping it once its on the way.
Then you could possibly say that Mechs may (emphasis on may)have active Countermeasures aganst UCM & PHR if operating systems have remained constant within the two Universe's, but would have no effect on Scourge and Shaltari.

Likewise the active countermeasures in DZ would not limit the mechs in BT's ability to target DA vehicles at longer ranges with energy wpns such as Lasers (as per your example) and PPC's, but would effect LRMS (probably not SRMs) MRMS , Autocannons and Gauss Rifles.

Think getting something to work with here.

panzer415

PostFri May 19, 2017 10:25 am

Of course the New Alpha strike rules for BT, make it easier as Damage changes depending on the range band based on the wpns the mech carries.
in this case and easy rule would be targeting DZ vehicles drop value by 1 at range bands other than short (unless mech has the no ammo explosion rule for energy only mechs)

WargameHub

Hawk Talon

PostWed Nov 22, 2017 1:31 pm

Historical: War of 3039 talks about the countermeasures a little, specifically in the Listen/Kill missiles.
Previous

Return to Off Topic