It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:58 pm

Higher Flying Bases

Discuss topics not related to the DZC universe
  • Author

Andalite

Higher Flying Bases

PostThu Jul 24, 2014 1:05 am

Does anyone know of a source for transparent flying bases which would hold my assorted aircraft the rules-presumed 6'' above the board? If so, do they have issues with tipping?

Failing that, are there any to pander to my Go To The Deck-spamming, at 2''?

(My ideal is probably a 6'' base with a line on the post at the 2'' mark, but that could be easily added post-market, as it were.)
Looking for inspiration on how to paint your force? Check out my Pinterest board of DzC paint schemes!

Know a great scheme which needs to be seen by the world? Shoot me a PM!

Looking for battle in or near Kansas City? Bring it on!

Slade

Re: Higher Flying Bases

PostThu Jul 24, 2014 1:12 am

Mean like those?

I simply bought celar acrylic rods from my local hobby shop and trimmed to proper length. ;)

Slightly more tippy but not terribly so. I can load up all my dropships with walkers etc and they are still stable.

time wizard

PostThu Jul 24, 2014 1:20 am

Just use the bases that were supplied with the models. All you need is lengths of 1/8" or 3.18mm acrylic rod. You can then cut this to 6" and put the 2" marker on it.

Just with a quick search I found this place, http://www.tapplastics.com/product/plastics/plastic_rods_tubes_shapes/acrylic_rods/147 that has 10 6' (yup, six feet) lengths of 1/8 inch diameter acrylic rods for a mere $8.50! cutting it to 6" pieces would give you 12 from each rod for a total of 120 6" long acrylic rods!
"I have found again and again that in encounter actions, the day goes to the side that is the first to plaster its opponent with fire." - Erwin Rommel

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." - Napoleon Bonaparte

Andalite

PostThu Jul 24, 2014 4:53 pm

Thanks for the tips!
Looking for inspiration on how to paint your force? Check out my Pinterest board of DzC paint schemes!

Know a great scheme which needs to be seen by the world? Shoot me a PM!

Looking for battle in or near Kansas City? Bring it on!

humblefire

PostFri Jul 25, 2014 8:57 am

I've been thinking about sacrificing the clear acrylic for 3mm brass or aluminium tubing:

http://www.albionalloys.co.uk/metal-for-model-makers

Should aid stability. Any thoughts?

NeonWolf

PostFri Jul 25, 2014 6:31 pm

A buddy of mine picked up some 1/8" brass rod that is just a hair to big for the widgets and bases, but we're going to see if those will work for the 6" stands and possibly just cut down the acrylics that came with the models for the 2" stands.

Skipper

PostTue Jul 14, 2015 3:24 am

I bought some large fender washers, 2" #8 machine screws and nuts, and #8 12" threaded rods which I cut to 6" lengths.

1) Glue a #8 nut to the bottom of the model where the widget fits.
2) Glue the 2" machine screw to a fender washer for NOE (to the deck flight)
3) Glue a #8 nut to a fender washer and screw in the 6" rod for full height flight stands.

Rotate out the two stands types as necessary to represent flying height. I'f I have a chance later (Tomorrow or Wednesday), I'll post some pictures.

So far I'm very happy with the results.

Skipper

Return to Off Topic