It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 4:23 am

Dropzone/Battletech

Discuss topics not related to the DZC universe
  • Author

panzer415

Dropzone/Battletech

PostWed May 10, 2017 1:29 pm

About a couple of weeks ago a playing Dropfleet, a player suddenly exclaimed 'The Sourge are the Gloops', having read some of the background from the dropfleet rule book

Let me explain I had ran a campaign for Battletech, and had developed an alien race who were controlling an enemy mech force, who were parasites controlling mechs, very much like the way Scouge operate vehicles and ships.

The original idea was for it to link back to a 'War of the World' tyupe game with Tripods verses Mechs.

But it is an idea, specially now BT have brought out Alpha strike, , with a little tinkering they could be converted to DZ and:

A Jump drive error cause a Battletech Regiment etc to arrive in DZ (from any era , Clan would be interesting)
or vise versa a Scourge force arrives within the BC Universe, , that would be an interesting invasion given Terras defences at certain times in the Universe.

Ljevid

Hawk Talon

Re: Dropzone/Battletech

PostFri May 12, 2017 1:51 pm

Would be interesting to see how a Battletech regiment fares against the DzC factions.
How are the size differences between BT and DzC?
I think DzC is 1:500 and BT somewhere around 1: 600 / 700?
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man ON fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life...

dread2005

Hawk Talon

PostFri May 12, 2017 2:08 pm

hm DZC is 1:160 (N scale) ! BT is about 1:285
Quote: " nothing is ever easy " by zedicus zul zorrander

Dropfleet ADMIRAL may Mankind conquer the universe
UCM ~2500 Points, PHR ~2000 Points

Dropzone GENERAL revenge of Mankind
PHR 2000 Points, UCM 3500 Points

dread2005

Hawk Talon

PostFri May 12, 2017 2:10 pm

this source gives good advices:

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.p ... #msg820690

The IWM minis are much bigger than 1/285.
The average standing mech looks to be about 2" high, and are listed as 10 or 12 meters high. This would translate to 1/195 to about 1/230 depending on what minis (new or old scale) and whether you take 5 meters or 6 meter to be 1 level.

In the end, Z scale would probably be the best (1/220) but N scale (1/160) would work too
Quote: " nothing is ever easy " by zedicus zul zorrander

Dropfleet ADMIRAL may Mankind conquer the universe
UCM ~2500 Points, PHR ~2000 Points

Dropzone GENERAL revenge of Mankind
PHR 2000 Points, UCM 3500 Points

Nobody

PostSat May 13, 2017 4:27 am

Hmm, I think Battletech units mostly lack Countermeasures (the occasional anti-missile system and maybe Guardian ECMs). So range would be an issue. On the other hand, they have a high amount of energy weapons, so depending on the makeup of the Battletech force that may not a massive factor.

panzer415

PostWed May 17, 2017 3:23 pm

Nobody wrote:Hmm, I think Battletech units mostly lack Countermeasures (the occasional anti-missile system and maybe Guardian ECMs). So range would be an issue. On the other hand, they have a high amount of energy weapons, so depending on the makeup of the Battletech force that may not a massive factor.

They actually do have countermeasures, Its sort of been forgotten over the years, but was actually mentioned in the initial releases of the game, to explain why ranges in BT were actually less than current modern equivalents.
If I remember it stated weapons had far greater ranges but electronic targeting would not lock on targets ovet those ranges.

They later brought in as an option Extreme ranges for higher gunnery skills.
Morgan Kells' Ghost mech skill was an telepathic type skill which basically blinded all electronic targeting , effectively making him invisible to most mech targeting, but it could be countered by pilots who switched the computer of did it by seats of the pants.

panzer415

PostWed May 17, 2017 3:27 pm

As for scales I would use a bit of handwavium on that one, The Battlemech minatures are supposed to be around 1/285th, but seemed to be increasing in size, if you have any of the later releases of things like Mad Cats etc, they seem to get bigger each time they release it.. One of their newer 4 leggers I had to stick 5 x hex bases together to get it to fit.

panzer415

PostWed May 17, 2017 3:39 pm

In space the DF fleets would be more manoeuvrable and probably faster, BT ships , what few they have don't have anti grav,
Not sure how they compare in size either, though may be if equivalent size much more heavily armed and their laser tech/energy wpns especially the Clans is more advanced.
Mechs are much faster than their PHR eqivelents but would not have access to Dropships so would have problems their.
Another question is how well mech armour can stand up to DZ weaponary and visa versa.
I guess that would be down to players to decide.
It makes for good conversations down the pub.

Nobody

PostThu May 18, 2017 4:13 am

panzer415 wrote:
Nobody wrote:Hmm, I think Battletech units mostly lack Countermeasures (the occasional anti-missile system and maybe Guardian ECMs). So range would be an issue. On the other hand, they have a high amount of energy weapons, so depending on the makeup of the Battletech force that may not a massive factor.

They actually do have countermeasures, Its sort of been forgotten over the years, but was actually mentioned in the initial releases of the game, to explain why ranges in BT were actually less than current modern equivalents.
If I remember it stated weapons had far greater ranges but electronic targeting would not lock on targets ovet those ranges.

Morgan Kells' Ghost mech skill was an telepathic type skill which basically blinded all electronic targeting , effectively making him invisible to most mech targeting, but it could be countered by pilots who switched the computer of did it by seats of the pants.

I figured it was just to reference the sad state of the technology used for targeting computers (especially 3025 tech). But in all honesty, even accounting for that, there's very little that'd correspond to active countermeasures in DZC, Something like an Arrow IV wouldn't get nearly the range that it does in Battletech.

I thought the Phantom Mech ability was quietly killed off after 2nd ed Mechwarrior? From what I've read the current crop of designers have declared no magic or psychic powers were involved, and have chalked it up to unreliable narrators.

(Probably helps that in canon there were only 3 Mechwarriors who ever showed that ability, and two of them died early on).

panzer415

PostThu May 18, 2017 3:10 pm

Nobody wrote:
panzer415 wrote:

I figured it was just to reference the sad state of the technology used for targeting computers (especially 3025 tech). But in all honesty, even accounting for that, there's very little that'd correspond to active countermeasures in DZC, Something like an Arrow IV wouldn't get nearly the range that it does in Battletech.

I thought the Phantom Mech ability was quietly killed off after 2nd ed Mechwarrior? From what I've read the current crop of designers have declared no magic or psychic powers were involved, and have chalked it up to unreliable narrators.

(Probably helps that in canon there were only 3 Mechwarriors who ever showed that ability, and two of them died early on).

I mentioned the phantom mech skill mainly to point out they have computer targeting assist, and will overide mark one eyeballs.
The early edition blurb certaintly was vague on the point, In theory you are correct with respect the state of Technology, and in the 'Warrior' series of books, it does mention that many of the newly produced mechs were not as technically good as the inherited mechs dating back to the Star League.
But for that matter it does not actually say exactly what the active counter measures are in Dropzone, they are there, but sort of glosses over what they are, which is how it was intially mentioned in BT.
Really how they match up will depend on the ground scale used, and then coverting each to it.
in basic BT using each hex at 30 (not sure if yard or metres) puts a large laser effective range at 3025 at 450 yards/metres. This is based on the ability to target a moving mech, longer ranges being avail to better gunners.
LRMs go out to 600 yards.
Yup short,
But does it give a ground scale for dz?
Are we assuming longer ranges?
plus above in most of the Urban environments we play in DZ, would be more than adequate, look at effective ranges in WW2 in Europe, if fact most modern combat rifles are only sited to 400 yards, as that was all was believed was needed in continental europe, and in fact caused them to bring out Marksmens rifles in Afghanistan.
Next

Return to Off Topic