It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:13 am

Spartan Games

Discussion of other gaming systems
  • Author

Captain Covenant

Spartan Games

PostSat Aug 26, 2017 5:32 am

So... Wow. Spartan Games has gone under. This hit me kind of hard, they made the game which got me into miniatures wargaming. Plus, I was due for a fairly big order of new models from them. But then I had a thought.

Hawk Wargames, the other miniatures making company I trust, is also a British company, and they seem to be doing well! Maybe they might be able to acquire the rights to Firestorm Armada, or Dystopian Wars? Are there maybe plans in the works for that sort of thing? I know it's probably a long shot, but I think it'd be really cool.
I think I have enough miniatures games.

Ooh, look! Dropfleet!

venom1983

Hawk Talon

Re: Spartan Games

PostSat Aug 26, 2017 12:21 pm

Whilst I hope someone does pick up the rights to those games I hope it isnt HWG there is an awful lot of bile that comes with Spartan Games at the moment and Hawk is (seemingly doing well with its own IP

Egge

PostSat Aug 26, 2017 4:56 pm

Their planetfall had some cool ideas on mission types. Sad to see them go but perhaps not so unexpected.

Captain Covenant

PostSun Aug 27, 2017 6:08 am

I can see why there would be a certain amount of bile directed at Spartan right now. Trust me, I feel a bit of that bile myself, I was cheated out of several models. But these games do have a rather dedicated fanbase, a base which wants to see them survive and would likely feel grateful toward someone who managed to save them.
I think I have enough miniatures games.

Ooh, look! Dropfleet!

Aladinn

PostSun Aug 27, 2017 12:29 pm

Seems Dave used to work for Spartan games and designed some of their miniatures before starting Hawk.

ZombiePirate

PostTue Aug 29, 2017 9:58 am

A long time ago, when I first discovered Spartan with Uncharted Seas, when they released Firestorm and then went into Dystopian Wars I talked extensively with friends regarding their apparent penchant for releasing a slight variation of the same game over and over, neglecting previous games. While I'm not happy to see a company fold I really think their lack of focus did this too them, potentially with the burden of the Halo license as well.

I've had a lot of fun with their stuff but stopped playing when Dystopian Wars came out. I know people have a lot of love for that universe. Hopefully someone can pick up the IP and do something good with it.

LiamK

PostTue Aug 29, 2017 10:12 am

We wish all the best to the staff that were unfortunately made redundant from Spartan Games and wish them luck for their future endeavours!

We won't at this time be looking to take on any IP's from Spartan. We are already extremely busy with our own :P

Return to Other Games