It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:40 pm

What other miniature wargames do you play?

Discussion of other gaming systems
  • Author

Efoe

What other miniature wargames do you play?

PostFri Jan 25, 2013 1:47 pm

"What other miniature wargames do you play?
And why? ;)

My favourite wargames besides Dropzone commander will be:

Black Powder.
Lovely system for my 6mm Napoleonic battles. A game about grand movement and lots of units. The game really plays like a story and the units can "get their breath back" by resting after combat. And the deployment of reserve brigades at the right moment spells victory or defeat. Very pleasing.

Hail Caesar.
Almost the same as Black Powder but then for my Romans, Celts, Carthaginians. Or my late medieval knight armies. All 10mm. Lovely system of mass combat, grand troop movement. Improvent on my previous love "warmaster" due to better morale and casualty system.

Epic Armageddon
A system quite similar to Dropzone Commander. Minus the dropships and bar the infantry in buildings. It plays very fast, has an alternative unit activation like DZC. But with more options on activations. Tanks move fast. Roughly 20 to 30 cm, and you can choose to double or triple the movement with huge penalties to shooting.The morale system is clever and effective. In comparison to DZC, this game is more massive, has more tank formation, has huge titans. but is far less detailed. DZC has more depth due to the infantry and dropship use. That and use of titans in EA can be a bit overpowering. (The game system is still for sale, but the miniatures are barely so, save ebay) But it remains one of my favorites.

40k / WFB.
Been there done that, loved it for over 15 years. Had tons of fun with it, yet its over for me. Got bored with the power creep. Got bored of army rosters that can win or lose a game before it is played. Wanted more tactical flexibility in my game. Turn 1 hail of bullet stories get old really quickly. And don't get me started on the anual price raise the last 20 years. Got a huge and fully painted chaos marine army in boxes for nostalgia sake. But sold all my other armies. Considering to sell this last one too.

Flames of War.
For me a relative new system. Playing this one for over a year now. A lovely system with tanks, infantry and artillery that need to support each other. A good game with nice minatures. Not as tactical as DZC but still a good system with lots of options. Played against a likely minded player its a great distraction from my other systems.

Dystopian Wars
Great naval game with cool ships. Cheap too. This system is for laughs, nothing too serious. Nice mechanics but after 20 battles the pattern is slowly showing through. Armies, sorry, fleet nations, can be really rock paper scissors. Germans kill Brits, Brits hurt USA, and USA kill the germans and Japanse. New rules made a rebalance yet some units are really overpowered and other units are really useless. And this can be played that way. A torpedo heavy enemy? bring flyers, a flyer heavy enemy? bring a huge pile of boarders. Or bring the dreadnaughts, thats always a game winner unless your enemy has one too. Shame really, its a good system, but really needs a likely minded opponent for fun. But don't get me started on the utterly random card system. (DZC has done a great job with the system in terms of balance, seen the way the competition handles cards and game intervention )

Warmachine/ Hordes.
Lovely system, lovely miniatures. But in the end sold my armies. I dunno, had my fun. But the endless advancement of new units got me in a manditory arms race to stay on top. That and the rule changing powers put my off like silly. I like my general to do tricks, my infantry to act as infantry and robots to stomp and crush. If spearmen can suddenly fly, my rough terrain spell is bypassed, and my monsters suddenly turned to slugs for a few turns. I cannot think tactically anymore with the pieces on the board. In that case I must keep on top of all the spells and possibilities and not just with my game 'pieces'. So got bored of it.

What do (did) you guys play and enjoy?
Cheers,

Cataphract

Re: What other miniature wargames do you play?

PostFri Jan 25, 2013 3:27 pm

Warhammer - my fav game by far, own three armies and plenty of bits, the history and fluff and I love converting an painting my dark elves

40K - eldar player from way back, started in 2nd and kept on playing. Keep the army because there are quite a few 40K players around and I really enjoy the history and character of the grimdark universe

Epic Space Marine - yes I still have the models and the rules from the second installment of Adeptus Titanicus...great game that was the first game I got involved with

Blood Bowl - awesome game, nothing more to say about this classic

Hybrid/confrontation - the minatures from this company were epic, but very hard to put together, its too bad they went out of buisness

DnD miniatures - few games with these, mainly because I love the huge dragon models and own all of them except the white dragon

Uncharted Seas, Man-O-War, Dreadfleet, Trafalgar, Axis and Allies war at sea - love me some ship battles. Really they are awesome.

Legions of Steel - this is an epicly awesome game that went out of buisness a while back. If you can get the rules and proxie some mini's. Planetstorm is the tabletop version but there is another that plays like space hulk. If you can do the double blind setup! Sweat and terror! I have never ever played a game that cause my pulse to go up faster than the double blind in Legions of Steel.

Speaking of Space Hulk - Space Hulk.

Battlefleet Gothic

Warmahordes - only recently got into this but not a huge fan. I'm not a combo guy. I actually prefer tactics instead of lists for the win destruction, and meta game analysis.

Then there is the massive list of board games that are minature games like Gears of War, numerous zombie games, etc...

Zugov

PostFri Jan 25, 2013 3:29 pm

Hordesmachine - Skorne (since they came out) and starting pigs (because I like bacon :D), Malifaux - Outcasts, Infinity - Got a lot of Nomads and a Hassassin Bahram, and Spartacus the Board Game, occasionally mixed in with Battlestar Galactica Board Game.

poulpox

PostSat Jan 26, 2013 5:52 am

Malifaux - love the mechanics (particularly that you manipulate resources), love that you can have a full experience of the game after spending just £50, love the minis and fluff

40K - when I don't want to think and throw many dice... and roll 1s... love the models, not much else about it, really just a game I play when I can't play the other games

Zombicide - with the wife :)

Hydriatus

PostSun Jan 27, 2013 3:00 pm

Here's my list!

-Warmachine
-Dystopian Wars
-Firestorm Armada
-Kings of War
-Timeline 300
-MERCS
-Blood Bowl
-Gear Krieg
The one and only.

Daniel36

Hawk Talon

PostSun Jan 27, 2013 3:57 pm

I play Warhammer. I have an Empire army hailing from Talabecland, a Wood Elf army and am currently enjoying converting an army of Nurgle from various army books (because I got SOOOO sick of tournament style play).

I have a 40K Imperial Guard army with a matching colour scheme for what my UCM will look like, but I got completely bored out of my wits with 40K. I think it's a terrible gaming system.

I really enjoy Role Playing Games but never managed to become invested enough in one, nor have I ever been able to form a group of friends to play it with longer than one session. That said, I did work on an RPG I wrote myself. It's called Chronicles, and it is currently on hiatus as I am trying to find that one thing to make it the game I want. I don't want it to be a D&D clone. I dislike D&D because they turn lowly heroes into demi gods after slaying 30 goblins and I think the system is stupid and overly complicated.

I play a couple of Mordheim games every two years or so, which I think is fun but nothing more than that. I know some people with extensive and awesome scenery collections so when I meet up with them we play for one night.

I want to play Necromunda but don't have a large enough group of people I see on a regular basis to actually enjoy that. Maybe some day I will be able to get a campaign going.

My gaming club has some people interested in SAGA but I don't think it's for me. I am going to demo Dropzone Commander.

That's about it for me, really... I do really want to continue work on Chronicles but I am really trying to find a balance between the lethality I want in it and my players not dying after one battle. Difficult stuff for sure.
Officially Holland's #4 Dropzone Commander Player!
Now with added Moderator Powers!

Cataphract

PostSun Jan 27, 2013 4:34 pm

Daniel36 wrote:I dislike D&D because they turn lowly heroes into demi gods after slaying 30 goblins and I think the system is stupid and overly complicated.

Which edition? :lol: Sounds like you had a crappy DM. Most RPGs are overly complicated, and the overly simple ones are often crap or lack the depth to keep one interested after a short while. Actually the best RPG I have ever played is the old TSR Marvel Super Heros game. It was spectacular and riotus fun. You can download it for free now, but a great game nevertheless.

Daniel36

Hawk Talon

PostSun Jan 27, 2013 8:36 pm

Cataphract wrote:Which edition? :lol: Sounds like you had a crappy DM.

3.5 and 4, and we did have a crappy DM. It was me! >_<
The game I am writing is not cimplicated from a game mechanics point of view, which is what D&D is. I was well capable of engrossing my players, but D&D was just too much of a fuss for us to get to the good stuff, which is why I am writing what I am writing. It is my dream and my wish to one day play a full and successful campaign, and it will not be with D&D.
Officially Holland's #4 Dropzone Commander Player!
Now with added Moderator Powers!

No Longer Hawk Simon

PostTue Jan 29, 2013 11:38 am

for me its

- Fantasy
- Ancients
- Warmachine/Hordes
- Necromunda
- Mordhiem
- BFG
and of course DZC!

Starscream

PostWed Jan 30, 2013 2:55 pm

- Infinity - great system, with lots of interaction and cool models
- Warmahordes - took me a long time to enjoy this game, but now i love it.
- Malifaux - unique system with no dice at all (i like the fact that your success depends even more of the way you manage stuff). Very entertaining and lots and lots of different themes in here (western, steampunk, horror, gothic, etc)
- Bloodbowl - funniest game ever. Ball on end zone and guy falls while attempting to catch ball? Classic...
* Confrontation - im planning to return to this game
* DZC - currently painting :D

And boardgames / cardgames
Next

Return to Other Games