It is currently Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:41 am

What other miniature wargames do you play?

Discussion of other gaming systems
  • Author

wilsonian

Re: What other miniature wargames do you play?

PostSun Oct 05, 2014 6:40 pm

I'm a 40k man at heart. Been playing it since 2nd ed (early 90's). However with GW releasing 7th ed with the "bring anything to the table" mentality and the silly way things are priced, I don't like the way it's turned into who ever has spent the most money for the "niche" army wins. It just doesn't float my boat like it use to.

So after some arm twisting by a friend I decided to have a starter game, since then I've probably got more UCM that I'll ever field!

Capt Panama

PostFri Oct 17, 2014 4:34 am

My group still play 40K and we had a team tournament practice last Sunday. My team lost and I did not care since I lost interest in the game. Many of my friends were mad when they lost, so I tried to explain them 40K is a beer and pretzel game. I gave them a clear example of why they should play Dropzone Commander. To avoid the rules lawyers and interruptions reading codexes and looking for erratas.

Hexer

PostWed Nov 05, 2014 11:56 am

I only played Cassic Battletech so far. Actually I just restarted playing that last year with 2 friends who, just like me, used to play the game years ago (only one of which kept on playing for a while). Battletech is also what I dived into the most lore-wise as I actually started reading the novels before I even realised that there was a Battletech boardgame and PC game.

I still enjoy building custom mech configs and designs and also modding miniatures to represent them (just ordered a few more along with my basic DzC equipment)

Dropzone Commander now is the second thing I try in this area and while I still love Battletech I'm looking forward to something that plays somewhat faster with less wielding of dice, pencil and paper while still retaining enough depth (at least thats what all reviews sounded like to me as I wasnt able to playtest myself yet).

ElectricPaladin

PostWed Nov 05, 2014 3:07 pm

Er... yes. I play lots of games. My wife makes fun of how easy it is for me to be talked into a new game. My current list includes: Warhammer 40k, Warhammer Fantasy, Battlefleet Gothic, Warmachine, Hordes, Infinity, Dropzone Commander, Firestorm Armada, Confrontation, and Shieldbash. And I'll probably start Planetfall soon. And whatever Hawk calls the DZC space game.
Space Hedgehog

arkan

PostSat Nov 15, 2014 4:14 pm

Yes.

Warmachine/hordes: By far my favourite system. The sheer number of combinations, mixing, buffing/debuffing while keeping the game balanced just makes it awesome. I have about 75 points worth of cryx, and have just started trollbloods.

40K: I was a huge fan for about 10 years. I have about 4000 points of chaos marines, and about 2500 points of eldar. Then 6th edition came out, which was more complicated, very flawed and very unbalanced, in my opinion. Then 7th edition came out, which for me, was the final straw. It's just a horrible system, in my opinion. The mentality of "bring literally anything to the table", rules that completely contradict the lore, failing to fix any of the problems of 6th edition, making the game even more unbalanced and adding a load of unnecessary new rules just drove me away. Especially the ridiculous psychic phase they shoehorned in just to make the system different to the previous edition. Also, a lot of people I end up playing with take it far too seriously. And don't even get me started on the prices.

Fantasy: I have about 2000 points of skaven. I liked the system, but no-one else at my club is interested. Also, GW keeps the system in the shade so they can keep the limelight on 40k, which is a great shame.

DZC: An awesome system. Easy to learn, easy to play, a lot of tactical depth and a hell of a lot of fun. currently have about 2500 point scourge army, and plan to start a resistance army when I get some more money together.

The games I'd like to start playing are:

Flames of war, Bolt action, Firestorm armada, Firestorm planetfall, Dystopian wars, Batman arkham city game, X-wing, Urban war, Malifaux, Dark potential, Infinity, Heavy gear blitz, Deepwars, Kings of war, Warpath, Dust tactics, uncharted seas, Dreadfleet, Deadzone ,AE ww2, Operation squad, Confrontation and Necromunda.

Obviously an army of each of those would take up a lot of space, and cost a lot of money. And finding other people to play with for all of them would be quite hard.

I'm also into board games, as well as role-playing games.

feindusmaximus

Hawk Talon

PostMon Nov 17, 2014 9:58 am

Started DzC this summer when 7th shitte addition came out.

WH40k until next mOnday, last tourney this coming weekend (paid long ago, mize well play sinse I payed)

X-wing by FFG

Long ago in a childhood far away I played; Carwars, Ogre, battle tech, imperial commander/laser burn (precursors to 40k), tank charts, clear for action and several other historical miniature games I don't remember the names too :(.

Shermo

PostMon Nov 17, 2014 11:40 am

Like many here, I've been playing wargames for a very long time and have played so many games...

But currently I play (apart from DzC):

X-wing
Batman Miniature game
Hail Caesar!
Epic Armageddon

Phototoxin

PostThu Jul 02, 2015 12:37 am

Infinity - extremely tactical and pretty well balanced. Really makes you think and gets the brain into overdrive. I do love it.
The main flaw is the company and their useless communication and SLOW release schedule in terms of new books etc.

Malifaux - not played in ages but it's just silly and fun.

Batman - ditto, not too serious but just throw dice and have a laugh.
If you play DzC on the south coast of the UK, join the South Coast Dropzone Commander Facebook group for the latest info on local events, news, to meet other local players and hear about tournaments!

Phoenix

PostSat Aug 22, 2015 7:40 am

I played X-wing and only bought Warmachine and LotR. I enjoy 40K so much though that I never started with LotR and Warmachine. I sold my Warmachine again but enjoy painting the LotR so kept those. Recently I also sold all my X-wing, because so much of my time goes into 40K.
The fun in 40K is absolute not the competitive scene for me. I hate the powerlists where you get blown away on turn 1, or the ridiculous 2++ rerollable. We play 40K in an easy manner, no min/max'ing and we try out scenario's which makes for fun games.

And now offcourse Dropzone Commander, bought Shaltari and PHR, played my first game and liked it, so looking forward to more of them :).

Hexer

PostThu Sep 03, 2015 10:36 am

Infinity got me a while ago and its lots of fun so far. Especially since I hardly ever manage to get to play DzC.
PreviousNext

Return to Other Games