It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:52 pm

What other miniature wargames do you play?

Discussion of other gaming systems
  • Author

Desolator

Re: What other miniature wargames do you play?

PostFri Nov 29, 2013 9:03 pm

WFB - Pure khornate hordes of chaos army
40K - dark angels
DZC - Scourge

This is the first non gw game I have gotten into and so far I'm loving it!!! Like the models, had 1 - 2 games so far and enjoyed them and I love the background!! Humanity losing possession of earth = epic!! Wonder if anyone will do a novel series id love to learn more about the 1st scourge invasion!!
Decided to give up on gw when it started getting hard to get games at my local club. Even my little bro likes DZC!! He is my training partner!!

Slade

PostSat Nov 30, 2013 3:00 am

Sadly I only play two Miniatures games:

DzC: PHR (have the starter box too)
Battletech: Been playing for 15ish years, have 80 or so minis painted up, no specific house/clan nor faction, own about equals parts IS and Clan. :)

Oops forgot: I helped kickstart Golem Arcana. ;)

Other games:
Cyberpunk 2020
Pathfinder
Slew of tabletop board games.
PC gamer also.

draccan

PostSat Nov 30, 2013 11:45 am

I currently have: Warhammer Fantasy (Empire), Epic (Imperial Fists), Dreadball which is in a playable state. I play infrequently on various things.
I would love to revive more things from the closet (Gothic, Warmaster and other stuff).

My playing closet is filled with unfinished armies, things in blisters and lost dreams :oops: :o :shock: :lol:

Blipvert

PostMon Dec 02, 2013 10:35 pm

Still playing DZC, but now with 4 armies. About 3000 points of Shaltari, 1500 of PHR and maybe 1000 of Scrouge and UCM.

Expanded on my MERCS and Warmachine armies.

The newest game is Star Trek Attack Wing. I don't think that technically it's a miniature game. It's a board game with miniatures. Immense amount of fun and lots of nostalgia. Mechanics similiar to X-Wing and the movement system is licensed from Fantasy Flight Games.

HadesGames

PostTue Dec 10, 2013 1:16 pm

Used to play all GW systems but now just blood bowl, norse, amazons and goblins. also play bolt action and dreadball but thats about it as I have an addictive personality and would spend far too much otherwise!

ForumJayz

PostMon Dec 16, 2013 10:16 am

Warhammer 40K: Eldar (before they got cool) Tau, Space Marines
Warmachine: Retribution of Scyrah
Dropzone: Shaltari

Six Actual

PostTue Dec 24, 2013 10:51 pm

As well as the space combat games listed in my sig;

Flames of War - I'm very much a tank guy. My DZC UCM force is named in honor of my favorite WW2 British armoured regiment. I run them in France in 1940, and at Second El Alamein. When I get round to sending a PDF list to BF, I've also got the models for them in 76mm gun Shermans in 1945 (9th Queen's Royal Lancers, in case you were wondering :D ). I mostly play British and US armour, but the new VietNam version of the game is great, too. Not so keen on the Arab-Israeli expansion - having lived in the Middle East, I tend to take that conflict a bit too seriously to want to game it - I'd hate to see 'my' side lose.

Field of Glory - I played DBM for years (badly) and was very excited about FoG when it appeared. Sadly, my Ptolemies, Republican Romans, Byzantines and Venetians have gone from pretty rubbish in DBM to total and utter rubbish in FoG against well-played high end competition armies. I'm waiting to be enthused by some new 15mm ancients game.

Harpoon - Haven't played this for a while but we may be setting up a multiplayer game in the new year. I also have rules (General Quarters) and fleets (RN vs the Italians in the Med) for WW2 naval, but currently neither the time or the opponents to do much with them.

EDIT - Oh- And Saga. Byzantines again (I seem to like them for some odd reason) and a vanilla Viking army in the painting queue following the UCM. The Byzantines do a great deal better in Saga than they do in FoG.
I usually play SFB, Federation Commander, Full Thrust and A Call to Arms.

Planets are normally things to drop ordinance on or avoid colliding with...

buffdrinklot

PostSat Feb 01, 2014 4:45 pm

I bought into the All Quiet on the Martian Front Kickstarter last year: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/11 ... e-tanks-vs

It's a pretty cool concept based on the War of the Worlds; the Martians have returned to Earth in 1910 after their first invasion was repelled by the British. The Americans are caught unprepared but quickly use their massive industrial might to build a resistance force of steam-powered tanks, but the British, having years to study the Martian technology and adapt it, bring more sophisticated and specialized tech to the battlefield.

Figures are scaled at 15mm so that HO-scale terrain and buildings can be easily used.

The Kickstarter was supposed to have been delivered last December, but production delays are pushing things back until a TBD date. The creators are planning plastic core units (Martian Tripods and U.S. steam tanks), and it looks like tooling issues are the main culprit for the delays.

There's been a ton of design put into each unit. The US units have a very industrial look to them, and the larger machines draw from naval designs -- the largest units are described as 'Land Ironclads' bristling with naval cannon and smaller guns, and are at least 12" in length... for an HO-scaled game. I'm looking forward to seeing them. The British Expeditionary Force has a cleaner look due to the Martian tech, with railgun/coilgun-based guns and elite infantry.

The AQ creators are planning a starter set after the Kickstarter ships and regular production begins. The starter should have enough Martian and human forces to stage basic battles and play most scenarios.

welshfurey

PostSat Feb 01, 2014 6:31 pm

buffdrinklot wrote:I bought into the All Quiet on the Martian Front Kickstarter last year: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/11 ... e-tanks-vs

It's a pretty cool concept based on the War of the Worlds; the Martians have returned to Earth in 1910 after their first invasion was repelled by the British. The Americans are caught unprepared but quickly use their massive industrial might to build a resistance force of steam-powered tanks, but the British, having years to study the Martian technology and adapt it, bring more sophisticated and specialized tech to the battlefield.

Figures are scaled at 15mm so that HO-scale terrain and buildings can be easily used.

The Kickstarter was supposed to have been delivered last December, but production delays are pushing things back until a TBD date. The creators are planning plastic core units (Martian Tripods and U.S. steam tanks), and it looks like tooling issues are the main culprit for the delays.

There's been a ton of design put into each unit. The US units have a very industrial look to them, and the larger machines draw from naval designs -- the largest units are described as 'Land Ironclads' bristling with naval cannon and smaller guns, and are at least 12" in length... for an HO-scaled game. I'm looking forward to seeing them. The British Expeditionary Force has a cleaner look due to the Martian tech, with railgun/coilgun-based guns and elite infantry.

The AQ creators are planning a starter set after the Kickstarter ships and regular production begins. The starter should have enough Martian and human forces to stage basic battles and play most scenarios.

I would love to know how well that plays once you receive It I so nearly bought in during the kickstarter but bottled out.
Rambling the ancient art of legal trespassing.

buffdrinklot

PostSun Feb 02, 2014 4:01 am

welshfurey wrote:I would love to know how well that plays once you receive It I so nearly bought in during the kickstarter but bottled out.

Will do! I'm looking forward to my big box of goodies, but i'm not holding my breath for it to arrive anytime soon. The production company seems committed to providing a solid product with good support, and i'm trusting that they'll fulfill that.

Really looking forward to the mini-Ironclad and missile launcher mega Tripods I ordered.
PreviousNext

Return to Other Games