It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:46 am

I hate warmachine....

Discussion of other gaming systems
  • Author

Desolator

I hate warmachine....

PostWed Jan 29, 2014 7:48 am

I hate warmachine, its the bane of my life. It seems to be the only game my club seems to play regurlarly. I had a look at it and found it very dull and was also unimpressed by the models. It was this game that made me drop 40k and I'm not doing it with dzc!! I just can't get the regular games!! I have no idea why they like warmachine so much, does anyone else struggle for dzc games or is it just me? I suppose all I can do is wait and hope the situation changes.... :x

Abrusio

Re: I hate warmachine....

PostWed Jan 29, 2014 8:13 am

Same here. :cry:

I am in 2 clubs, a large one (20+ gamers) of 40k and other warhammer games, and a smaller one (6 players), dedicated to warmachine. Sadly it seems the guys that were more open-minded are not coming anymore.

I have large armies for 40k but I am not currently in the mood for that game. I am still trying to persuade some warmachine players to try a demo game of DZC with me.

I find most of the warmachine's models extremely ugly, and the universe not interesting. So I guess I am confronted to the choice of joining them and playing a game I don't like, or not playing a game that I would very much like to play.

So, I am waiting for better days, making scenery for my DZC board and playing videogames...

Desolator

PostWed Jan 29, 2014 9:10 am

Abrusio we are two of a kind, its a shame we were not local to one another. I'm just going to keep painting my scourge regardless and wait for the mood to change or wait for another dzc player to surface locally. Its nice to know I'm not alone in my hatred of warmachine. I have really gotten into dzc and fallen in love with the scourge (background and model wise). I have only ever played gw games but dzc was a nice surprise. I cannot say the same for warmachine. Its just rubbish.

Abrusio

PostWed Jan 29, 2014 9:26 am

In my case, "hatred" is perhaps a strong word for what is just a growing frustration :)

Desolator

PostWed Jan 29, 2014 12:10 pm

I suppose hatred is a strong word its more of an intense dislike... :)

Blipvert

PostThu Feb 13, 2014 7:47 am

For the first year or so, there were 3 regular players of DZC at my club. A father/son duo and myself. We got a good amount of polite interest but no takers. After about a year of this I started a second army and started offering demo games. I also posted photos to the FLGS Facebook page everytime we played a game as we played it. A little more interest. When the 2 player set came out, we started getting a lot more interest and on February 1st we had our first tournament with 8 players. Pretty modest compared to Warmachine and 40k but it's a start.

FWIW, I play Warmachine too, Convergence, and rather like it. But DZC is my all time favorite.

Desolator

PostThu Feb 13, 2014 8:26 am

I just dislike steam punk so therefore there is no way I will ever buy into warmachine. Unfortunately for me warmachine is the most played system at my club (I'm the only person there without a warmachine army) in all there are 4 players bit a 5th person just bought the dzc starter so maybe things are looking up?

Guard

PostThu Feb 13, 2014 10:02 am

My mate GI Steve went out and bought a big army of UCM (It was a lot anyway)and showed it to me just before Christmas 2012 and I looked at it and thought, "it looks ok but it's expensive and thought it won't be for me" then I had the PHR small starter army for Christmas, then ordered the big army before the New year (I should say I had three games with Steve which I really enjoyed before this) I have since took photos and written very small write ups and sent them to all my war-gaming mates and we now have eight Dropzone guys with models, with hopefully more on the way, one guy at a time.

What I am trying to say is that there was only the two of us at the at the start but now there so many it's not always easy to fit games in. I am very lucky to have so many friends around me who have taken this game up, I wish you guys all the best and hope that you find other DZ gamers soon

gazza1234

PostMon Oct 06, 2014 3:45 am

I now play DZC for scifi and Bushido for fantasy I am really enjoying these games but they are not your most well known games which can be a pain when you want to walk into your local wargaming shop and ask if they have any stock. As soon as I walk in to mine he laughs and sais no Dropzone no Bushido so i just buy some paintbrushes and glue :oops: .
I think some of the atraction of these games to me is they are kind of underground they arent as well known as 40k etc but this does not mean they are not as good as we all know they are, if not better! I am lucky that I always have a friend who enjoys these games with me and if ever we want to play other gamers we know there are tournaments around to play in as long as they are not to serious, the whole point for me is to have fun and enjoy a close game.
my advice is carry on gaming enjoy the games you want to play and collect and paint the models you like whoever makes them.

ElectricPaladin

PostMon Oct 06, 2014 4:33 am

I was pretty big into Warmachine for a while. Hordes as well. I played Cygnar and Everblight, then I traded my Cygnar for Khador and ended up picking up some Circle as well...

But the more I got into it, the less I liked it. It increasingly felt like 90% of the game happens in list building and only 10% happens at the table. Every list operates by trying to get off a killer combo. The killer combos are roughly arranged in an enormous rock-paper-scissors style circle. The only questions are:

1) "How does my killer combo relate to my opponent's killer combo?" Because the man with the combo that is, relationally, stronger, will win.

2) "Can I get into a position to fire off my combo before my opponent fires off his?" Because if your combo works, the game is over.

3) "If my opponent makes a mistake, can I exploit it to win?" Because, obviously, that's a game.

The game was fun while I was learning to play, but when I sat down and decided that I wanted to get good at it... it got old. I seriously felt like I could look at my opponent's list and figure out who was going to win, assuming that we both played competently. I know that at the tournament level there's a whole system built up around bringing two lists and choosing which one to play, but...

Come on. I want to play wargames, not rock paper scissors! I want the decisions I make on the table to be the decisions that decide the outcome.

I'm seriously tempted to sell off my WarmaHordes... except that I really like how my Khador and Everblight turned out. I don't want to lose the models I worked so hard on!
Space Hedgehog
Next

Return to Other Games