It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:35 am

planet fall spartan games

Discussion of other gaming systems
  • Author

riftsinger

planet fall spartan games

PostThu Sep 11, 2014 6:00 am

so this new game will be in 10mm will it :roll: , well i surpose it will mean more terran we can use :D
of course the LZ is hot thats how you your going to the right place,

Abrusio

Re: planet fall spartan games

PostThu Sep 11, 2014 8:15 am

I think DZC has a good head-start compared to planetfall as it is not only not even out yet, but for now most models exists only as 3D art (as far as I know).

I don''t really like any of the models they showed in 3D blueprints, it makes me think of an outdated kind of SF (not a good thing in my book).

ZombiePirate

PostThu Sep 11, 2014 9:41 am

I'll admit that I raised an eyebrow about it when I got the newsletter.....

ElectricPaladin

PostThu Sep 11, 2014 1:29 pm

Spartan has a very different aesthetic, both model-wise and rules-wise. Firestorm - and probably Planetfall as well - is a looser, less tactical, more beer-and-pretzels blow-shit-up kind of game, with more bombastic models. There's definitely room for both the Firestorm Galaxy and the Dropzone… verse (?) on many gamers' shelves and in many gamers' budgets, because the games are actually quite different.

I've been enjoying FSA for some time and eagerly awaiting Planetfall. I've also been enjoying DZC, and can't wait to hear more about Hawk's space naval game (do I get teleporting Shaltari gate ships? I WANT THEM!).
Space Hedgehog

GodHead

PostThu Sep 11, 2014 3:09 pm

I hate the aesthetic of the Planetfall miniatures.

They don't do anything for my suspension of disbelief. There's no elements of "function" in the entire line. They just look like toys.

Can't even identify the weapon hardpoints on most of them.

We'll just throw some blocky shit on top of this other blocky shit, then top it off with some icing of blocky shit. This race gets crystals on top of that, that race gets furnace ducting.

Khealos

PostThu Sep 11, 2014 9:41 pm

I like some of the stuff, others I'm like "huh"? but I'm not knowledgeable about Spartan products. I would not mind some of the infantry models and love the terrains I've seen so far. However nothing to pull me away from DZC

Fate

PostThu Sep 11, 2014 9:45 pm

i would love to see their 28 mm scale downsized to 10, and i quite like some of the aesthetics of planetfall, like stated, the infantry does look good, and some of the vessels are quite nice as well..

buffdrinklot

PostThu Sep 11, 2014 11:27 pm

They've definitely got a different 'feel' than DZC. I would argue that the sculpts aren't as good as what Hawk is putting out; it looks like Planetfall figures and bases are all one piece? Having a one-shot design makes for very static looking vehicles; I like the magnetization options of Dropzone... much more dynamic poses are possible.

Phaedros

PostSat Sep 20, 2014 7:36 pm

GodHead wrote:I hate the aesthetic of the Planetfall miniatures.

They don't do anything for my suspension of disbelief. There's no elements of "function" in the entire line. They just look like toys.

Can't even identify the weapon hardpoints on most of them.

We'll just throw some blocky shit on top of this other blocky shit, then top it off with some icing of blocky shit. This race gets crystals on top of that, that race gets furnace ducting.

Well, I'm not gonna say you aren't entitled to your own opinions, but you're definitely misrepresenting the facts.

The Directorate stuff is a bit blocky, but their ground forces are meant to be more utilitarian.

The Aquan Prime stuff is a little blocky but incorporates the smooth contours the Aquans are known for.

Note: These are production models and not renders. :)

ElectricPaladin

PostSat Sep 20, 2014 8:17 pm

Can I, as a member of this community, make a purely emotional request?

Can we not dump on Planetfall? I get it - if you're here, there's a good chance that you prefer Dropzone Commander. Some of us are here because we want to play both. And even those of us who are here because we prefer DZC probably are not here to poop all over someone else's fun.

This isn't about hurt fee-fees. I just don't want to get a big floater of negativity in my happy fun hobby Internet time, ok? If you want to play DZC, go and play the hell out of it. If you want to play PF, go play that game until it begs for it's mama. But nobody's got anything to prove here. We're all friends. Let's get back to arguing about whether or not the Kodiak is lame and laughing at the Scourge players' pitiful attempts to argue that the space jellyfish are actually the good guys.
Space Hedgehog
Next

Return to Other Games