Fate

Re: planet fall spartan games

PostSat Sep 20, 2014 8:34 pm

i want the scenery set! just because!
!!!

corsair117

PostSun Sep 21, 2014 8:03 pm

ElectricPaladin wrote:Can I, as a member of this community, make a purely emotional request?

Can we not dump on Planetfall? I get it - if you're here, there's a good chance that you prefer Dropzone Commander. Some of us are here because we want to play both. And even those of us who are here because we prefer DZC probably are not here to poop all over someone else's fun.

This isn't about hurt fee-fees. I just don't want to get a big floater of negativity in my happy fun hobby Internet time, ok? If you want to play DZC, go and play the hell out of it. If you want to play PF, go play that game until it begs for it's mama. But nobody's got anything to prove here. We're all friends. Let's get back to arguing about whether or not the Kodiak is lame and laughing at the Scourge players' pitiful attempts to argue that the space jellyfish are actually the good guys.

Funny how you haven't made this request on the Spartan forums despite the DZC bashing that goes on there...

ElectricPaladin

PostSun Sep 21, 2014 8:09 pm

corsair117 wrote:
ElectricPaladin wrote:Can I, as a member of this community, make a purely emotional request?

Can we not dump on Planetfall? I get it - if you're here, there's a good chance that you prefer Dropzone Commander. Some of us are here because we want to play both. And even those of us who are here because we prefer DZC probably are not here to poop all over someone else's fun.

This isn't about hurt fee-fees. I just don't want to get a big floater of negativity in my happy fun hobby Internet time, ok? If you want to play DZC, go and play the hell out of it. If you want to play PF, go play that game until it begs for it's mama. But nobody's got anything to prove here. We're all friends. Let's get back to arguing about whether or not the Kodiak is lame and laughing at the Scourge players' pitiful attempts to argue that the space jellyfish are actually the good guys.

Funny how you haven't made this request on the Spartan forums despite the DZC bashing that goes on there...

I've been there sparingly the last few months, and not often in Planetfall-land.
Space Hedgehog

No Longer Hawk Simon

PostTue Sep 23, 2014 2:48 pm

can we keep it civil guys, everyone is entitled to their own opinions but lets please refrain from excessively aggressive comments!

Khealos

PostThu Sep 25, 2014 9:39 pm

I'm curious to see how it plays. I have no ill-will towards it - and if it does well then it will force Hawk to keep on their toes. I can see doing a combined army with the units I like from both plus the terrain for a little more variety. I doubt it will pull me away from DZC however :D

Delta

PostTue Sep 30, 2014 5:31 pm

I am with you ElectricPaladin. It is easy to fall into a "us vs them" state when two companies compete. The last thing I want to see on this forum is it devolve into competitor bashing. I must admit when I first heard of planet fall my first reaction was irrational defense of DZC, but I realized that there was no real reason for it. Let's welcome a new addition to the wargaming scene.
If my avatar seems oddly familiar it is because it is from Advance Wars.

Capt Panama

PostTue Sep 30, 2014 7:28 pm

Everyone is waiting for the rules and what changes they made to the 2012 version.

Guard

PostTue Sep 30, 2014 9:02 pm

I must admit I might be temped to buy some PF stuff in order to cut them up and use as terrain features on my PHR walker bases, might look good, BTW I love Dystopian Wars as well as Dropzone

moondoggy66

Hawk Talon

PostWed Oct 01, 2014 11:22 am

I can't wait to incorporate some of the pf terrain with dropzone

Councillor

PostWed Oct 01, 2014 8:36 pm

Those Planetfall bunker things have a real nice Hardened building look. The different aesthetic makes them immediately distinguishable and I think nicely obvious to newer players. Not sure they mix well with the 'curvier' Hawk stuff, but I'll have to see them on table together.

I have the beta rules on my desktop and it struck me more like Spartan's take on Flames of War rather than a direct take on Dropzone. Units have skill levels and make skill checks, vehicles can bog down, casualties are taken as a squad, sudden death objective captures, not moving increases firepower effectiveness, etc. It has a few other rules, setting a unit up for overwatch, reactive fire. Nobody with even a passing familiarity with Spartan games wouldn't notice their hallmarks.

The biggest point I noticed about the rules is that infantry and infantry-like combat armor seem to be a battlefield player rather than a separate (but critically important!) part of the game that spends all day in buildings. It wouldn't be hard to incorporate building and garrison rules, but that's not in the copy I have (which is probably hopelessly out of date). I don't know, I'm sure you guys can get your hands on a copy of the rules if you're curious.

Is it derivative of Dropzone? No. Is it a bandwagon on the 10mm Sci-Fi? I couldn't tell you. I do know that - at my store - if you can play all-infantry forces effectively, there's a few players that would prefer that type of game. Those guys are the hardest to sell on Dropzone because of the almost mini-game role of Infantry.

Do the Shaltari follow the Geneva Conventions?
Feels things about wargames and needs to talk with his hands about it.
Based at Pair-A-Dice Games in Rochester, the best store in all New York.
PreviousNext

Return to Other Games