It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:14 pm

Star wars:X-wing

Discussion of other gaming systems
  • Author

Vidfreaky

Hawk Talon

Re: Star wars:X-wing

PostFri Dec 19, 2014 3:46 pm

I've been running the X-Wing group for my FLGS for about 20 months now. I think the game is great, and we get about 12-16 people out each week who agree with me, with about 40 different people in the group, so I guess a few people agree with me.

I think X-Wing is great in that you can play it at so many different levels, and you only need to get "in" at whatever level you feel comfortable with. I think that probably 50% of the people at tournaments are borrowing parts of a friends army to compete. That keeps you from having to buy 4 of anything to get the proximity mines, you just borrow some cards from a couple of friends. That said, I'm definitely in deep. I've got at least 2 of everything, 4 of some others, 6 of a couple, and 8 tie fighters, as well as acrylic range rulers, tokens, and KR Multicases for everything. I routinely play with guys who show up with tupperware containers and some ships jammed in them and they kick my butt. I don't believe for a second it's a game where you can buy your way to a win.

I also think it's a really great gateway game to miniature wargaming. It was mine at least. I had never played a miniatures game before this because the barrier to entry just seemed SOOOO high. A few hundred bucks for an army, $50-$250 for the rules book (or books), templates, range rulers, glue, exacto knife, cutting surface, paint, primer, wash, brushes, supplies, etc. It seemed at the time that to get into a miniatures game it would cost me $600 for an army that I didn't know would be competitive for a game I didn't know I liked yet. X-Wing cost me $45 and came with painted models, rules, templates and missions.

This is what I like about the Dropzone Commander starter set so much. Yes, you have to paint it, which is a serious obstacle to getting some people involved (probably at least 50% of the people in my X-Wing group automatically discount it because they'd have to paint it). However the starter set is very much like the X-Wing starter set in that it really does give you everything you need to start playing the game.

Sorry for the long rambling post, but I'm very passionate about both games. :)

UCM Deathdasher

PostSat Dec 20, 2014 6:02 am

feindusmaximus wrote:
UCM Deathdasher wrote:My favorite ship so far has got to be a joint entry of Y-wing and A-wing. But everybody hates the B-wing.

The B -wing is sweet arse. 5 shields, 3 hull and 3 att for 22 points.

Any one interested, try this web site:
http://www.afewmaneuvers.com/topic/573- ... expansion/

True it can take a lot of damage but I'm thinking about manoeuvrability. Anyway thanks for the link ,really helpful
One of the youngest and worst dzc players around.

Guard

PostSat Dec 20, 2014 3:32 pm

I have just recently started Wings of War / Glory followed by X-Wing and to be honest all the above points made have much validity, for me painting models takes ages so anything where you get it out of the box and you play tends to be in favour. Loads of my mates do X-Wing far more than Dropzone though many are doing both. I like both.
I also do Fire and Fury and Dystopian Wars.

UCM Deathdasher

PostSun Dec 21, 2014 3:52 pm

Have you noticed how weird and ugly the TIE phantom and defender are? I also recommend searching wookiepedia for "TIE Mauler" What shows up is the weirdest thing I've ever set my eye's on.
Last edited by UCM Deathdasher on Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

UCM Deathdasher

PostSun Dec 21, 2014 5:36 pm

I'm gonna get the Coreilean corvette for boxing day :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Does anybody know any good missions for the corvette? My force is currently 2 starter sets, a Y-wing , a TIE advanced ,a A-wing and a TIE bomber.

B1ollanT

PostMon Oct 24, 2016 7:19 pm

I'm just getting into the game using my brothers models. So far he has the starter set, the Star Viper (Which is a beautiful ship!) and the TIE Phantom (Which is not so pretty.)

Capt Panama

PostFri Oct 28, 2016 4:49 am

I also play X-Wing, but my stock is really low. Most of my money has gone to Dropzone
Previous

Return to Other Games