It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:07 pm

Star wars:X-wing

Discussion of other gaming systems
  • Author

UCM Deathdasher

Star wars:X-wing

PostSun Dec 14, 2014 9:30 am

Does anybody round here play X-wing from fantasy flight games?
One of the youngest and worst dzc players around.

SwordOfJustice

Hawk Talon

Re: Star wars:X-wing

PostSun Dec 14, 2014 9:40 am

I've seen it played. It looks like a lot of fun.

Cheers,
Sword
We have evolved beyond mere flesh and bone. We are the Post Human Republic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBC9LIUpKeo

pilgrim

Hawk Talon

PostSun Dec 14, 2014 1:08 pm

Yup - its an interesting game and quite fun.

The problem is it can be very much a meta game in competition with the critical issue being the killer combo of ship and card build. The cards are limited and only issued in certain models, so players can spend "a lot" collecting the specific cards to build your killer set up - in effect it is very much like CCGs rather than a traditional board or tabletop game. Additionally every new release will include new cards that can change the balance. You can't buy your way to automatic victory - there is still some on table skill needed, but you can improve your chances by throwing a lot of money at it.
Razorworms are just Mother Natures way of reminding you why it is important to man the walls.

Ferrums are the UCM's way of reminding you to take enough AA

DZC Zealot

Hawk Talon

PostSun Dec 14, 2014 3:00 pm

As for tabletop minis wargaming, it could possibly be the best rule set out there.

It's really fast to play and relatively low buy-in.
http://www.flightintheshade.blogspot.com/
DropZone Commander Strategy Blog

Slade

PostSun Dec 14, 2014 5:32 pm

Played a few games borrowing pieces, definitely like the maneuverability of the TIE's vs the Rebel ships. Yesterday my LFGS hosted an impromptu tournament and so had a lot of fun :)

I agree that the cards can change a lot on how "good" and army is etc. but it still is NOWHERE near as rough a buy in as say Magic, I mean at least I know for a fact that X card is in Y booster pack. It's actually the biggest thing I like about Fantasy Flight Games method of making LCG's. I know that the best card is in X pack. ;)

pilgrim

Hawk Talon

PostSun Dec 14, 2014 9:32 pm

DZC Zealot wrote:As for tabletop minis wargaming, it could possibly be the best rule set out there.

That's quite "possibly" the least informed response I've ever seen on the internet! :shock:

Please tell me you actually played some real (historical) tabletop miniatures rules like Fire & Fury, Chain of Command, Empire (nothing to do w GW) or similar before making such a statement?

X Wing is certainly clever - or rather the Wings of War system they blatantly ripped off is (to be fair, XWing improves on some stuff WoW did but is a backward step in others) but the real clever bit is the dail & the cards.

I have to admit its quick, and easy to learn, fun and hey - you get to fly an X Wing, but its not exactly world beating. Entry cost is not too bad but it can ramp up alarmingly, and there are distinct signs of power creep.

I don't mind playing it, in fact I recommend having a go, but I wouldn't say more than that
Razorworms are just Mother Natures way of reminding you why it is important to man the walls.

pilgrim

Hawk Talon

PostSun Dec 14, 2014 9:33 pm

and Real Men fly TIE Fighters!

feindusmaximus

Hawk Talon

PostMon Dec 15, 2014 10:21 am

I've played in 1 tourney and bunch w/ friends. The game is much better w/ friends, nothing like getting in 3-4 100pt games in a 5 hour playing session. Tournament really turned me off, like the poster above = lots of $$$ to get high level 100 pt squadron.
I played 1 guy that had 4 TIE bombers w/ poxi mines each + a shuttle w/ Darth vader. That's $15 a bomber (60), $30 a proxi mine card because they only come w/ SLAVE I ($120), $30 for shuttle and no sure what set Darth comes in. So $210 USD + $15 min for darth. Guy did well and took 2nd.

UCM Deathdasher

PostThu Dec 18, 2014 7:57 am

My favorite ship so far has got to be a joint entry of Y-wing and A-wing. But everybody hates the B-wing.
One of the youngest and worst dzc players around.

feindusmaximus

Hawk Talon

PostThu Dec 18, 2014 9:26 am

UCM Deathdasher wrote:My favorite ship so far has got to be a joint entry of Y-wing and A-wing. But everybody hates the B-wing.

The B -wing is sweet arse. 5 shields, 3 hull and 3 att for 22 points.

Any one interested, try this web site:
http://www.afewmaneuvers.com/topic/573- ... expansion/
Next

Return to Other Games