It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:40 pm

I'm making my own WW2 game using airfix minatures

Discussion of other gaming systems
  • Author

UCM Deathdasher

I'm making my own WW2 game using airfix minatures

PostSun Jun 21, 2015 3:13 pm

All I'm pretty much asking for is some help or guidance of how to start. Some ideas for mechanics would also be appreciated. I did it mainly because my granddad has a lot of airfix and I didn't want to spend £60 on a new game.
One of the youngest and worst dzc players around.

wowskyguy

Hawk Talon

Re: I'm making my own WW2 game using airfix minatures

PostMon Jun 22, 2015 9:25 pm

You want rules for your toys and don't want to spend $$ on it.

Aircraft, ground or naval minis?
--
Andy

"Here's everything I know
about war: Somebody wins,
somebody loses, and
nothing is ever the same again."
Admiral Constanza Stark,
C.Y. 9784

UCM Deathdasher

PostTue Jun 23, 2015 8:11 pm

All. My granddad has about 50 planes (at least 5 spitfires) and the full D-day kit along with Japanese infantry, US marines, Afrika Korps, British commando's and paratroopers with the D-day British and German infantry. I also have 2 shermans, a panther, a DUWK, 2 buffaloes with jeeps, a 25 pounder, a 5.5 inch gun with AEC matador and a 2 tiger tanks. Naval wise we have a E-boat and a MTB. I also just realised how lucky I am to have relatives with all of that and how spoiled I sound. To add icing on the cake, that's not accounting for my mates models ;) (smug, superior grin)

wowskyguy

Hawk Talon

PostTue Jun 23, 2015 10:11 pm

Here a list of Print & Play WW2 games

Cheers,
--
Andy

"Here's everything I know
about war: Somebody wins,
somebody loses, and
nothing is ever the same again."
Admiral Constanza Stark,
C.Y. 9784

UCM Deathdasher

PostWed Jun 24, 2015 6:27 am

Oh, thanks!!!

PullsyJr

PostWed Jun 24, 2015 9:06 am

If you're after a good squad based game, try Chain of Command by Two Fat Lardies. I'd post a link but I'm on my phone and it's a right pain in the ring. It's better at smaller scales (10-15mm) but can be used for any size minis.

It is a good "simulation" style system, which has elements not often present in other games. Stuff such as the fact you can't rely on units being available etc. It has an awesome deployment mechanic too.

Don't know if it is free or not, but TFL seem to be in it for the quality rather than the cash.

UCM Deathdasher

PostWed Jun 24, 2015 3:24 pm

It seems cool, but I want to be able to have companies of men with tanks and air support because I'm doing it so that we can have our own WW2 game to celebrate D-day.

UCM Deathdasher

PostSat Aug 01, 2015 11:00 pm

Would anybody be interested in seeing the finished rules? I ask because there not complex but long. Me and my Dad have been working on it like we're possessed. After I've done this we're work on a modified version to represent the Pacific. I'll say about it that it doesn't lie in killing your opponent but his desire to fight. And LOTS of turns to skirmish and prepare for the big assault.

UCM Deathdasher

PostTue Nov 24, 2015 6:05 am

I've added this cool mechanic to it:moral.. The idea behind it is every weapon has a certain amount of suppression. If a squad takes to much suppression it will hit the deck or retreat if it gets suppressed. The US will be the best at suppressing with all their semi or fully auto guns but the Brits will be the best at taking it and the Russians will have really cheap infantry. The Germans have the best tanks and the Japanese can do a banzai charge which insanely destroys moral. This allows squads to be beaten but they don't always get wasted.

pilgrim

Hawk Talon

PostSat Jul 16, 2016 11:28 pm

UCM Deathdasher wrote:I've added this cool mechanic to it:moral.. The idea behind it is every weapon has a certain amount of suppression. If a squad takes to much suppression it will hit the deck or retreat if it gets suppressed. The US will be the best at suppressing with all their semi or fully auto guns but the Brits will be the best at taking it and the Russians will have really cheap infantry. The Germans have the best tanks and the Japanese can do a banzai charge which insanely destroys moral. This allows squads to be beaten but they don't always get wasted.

Its a mechanic that is used fairly regularly in one form or another - Chain of Command and Bolt Action to name a few both use something similar

You have the ratings a bit wrong - the Germans have by far the best suppression ability, due to the monster that is the MG42. After that the US and British are pretty much tied - the Garands are better at putting rounds down range compared to the SMLE but the US "LMGs" such as the BAR and Browning are awful compared to the British Bren. The BAR is particularly poor because it has no barrel change, a very light bipod, and a bottom mounted mag. The Bren has the opposite. easy barrel change, good bipod and probably most useful a top mounted 30 round mag. If you think that is no big deal try changing a mag lying down in a firing position. The Browning in LMG form is really too heavy.

Try getting hold of Joseph Balkowski's "Beyond the Beachhead" which deals with the 29th IDs assault on D-Day and the fighting afterwards, It has by far the best assessment of the merits of the German and US infantry capabilities I have ever read.
Razorworms are just Mother Natures way of reminding you why it is important to man the walls.

Ferrums are the UCM's way of reminding you to take enough AA

Return to Other Games