It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:53 pm

Flames of war

Discussion of other gaming systems
  • Author

UCM Deathdasher

Flames of war

PostWed Sep 23, 2015 7:24 pm

I've been considering taking up WW2 games including flames of war. What is it like though compared to DzC price range? My pockets a big hole in it. Does the game progress as fast as DzC? What is a standard British army list like in a standard game? Is it about killing the enemy or holding ground? I would really appreciate some answers.
One of the youngest and worst dzc players around.

piperider361

Hawk Talon

Re: Flames of war

PostThu Sep 24, 2015 1:15 am

FoW is a bit longer than a typical DZC game...tournament rounds are usually 2.5 hours each. There are a dozen or scenarios that are usually Attacker/Defender based, and usually involve the Attacker having to take a specific area from the Defender. You can also always win games through killing the opponent...bringing their force below a certain point and forcing them to fail morale checks.

Remember that there are literally hundreds of manufacturers for 15mm WW2 figures, which makes it both easy and difficult to decide what to buy from whom, but if you shop around, you can get armies very cheaply.

pilgrim

Hawk Talon

PostThu Sep 24, 2015 7:23 am

Just to follow up on the general consensus, the availability of plastic 15mm ww2 makes most armies reasonably priced - something that they were not until recently. I wouldn't say it was cheaper than DZC though, as the basic $$$\£££ cost of a unit in both is probably similar - in fact FoW possibly more, for example if you want to add a tank hunter platoon to a German late war army the four models will cost something between £18-25 and represent about a fifth of your army points at the standard game levels. Thats about the same as adding a similar proportion to a DZC arny, but you will get more for your money as you are not paying "Fantasy\Sci Fi Tax". One major cost for FOW is the rules and army lists, of which there are more than you can keep track of,

Personally I find FoW a good game but don't think it tells you much about WW2 - there are some damned stupid counter historical situations the rules encourage like on table artillery (so they can sell you model guns)
Razorworms are just Mother Natures way of reminding you why it is important to man the walls.

Ferrums are the UCM's way of reminding you to take enough AA

SwordOfJustice

Hawk Talon

PostThu Sep 24, 2015 11:34 pm

IMHO FOW is like 40K set in WW2. It's not a realistic game. For example, you don't plan your ambushes, they just popout magically wherever you're allowed to spring them. TDs have cloaking devices and just appear on the board.... many of the rules are totally abstract and game oriented.

Reasonably fun if you play against similar level opponents but it has plenty of killer lists and play balance issues IMO, just like 40K. Many people enjoy it though.
We have evolved beyond mere flesh and bone. We are the Post Human Republic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBC9LIUpKeo

Petrov

PostTue Nov 03, 2015 8:57 pm

Is FoW realistic? No not really, fun? I have lots of fun playing it. The models themselves are VERY realistic historically speaking.

Drcox

PostMon Mar 14, 2016 8:26 am

I've played a lot of FoW, the rules are pretty good, not 100% realistic but are complicated without being too complicated. The rule set for 'team yankee' their Cold War version is even more simplified. It actually got me into this, as playing 15mm games solidly for 5 years, when I wanted a sci-fi game, DZC's 10mm looked great

Paul7926

PostMon Mar 14, 2016 8:56 am

Tried it a while back but never really got into it. Too many different rules and supplements and you need to find an opponent with the right 'early', 'late' war army etc. I know it has it's supporters but it just wasn't for me.

PullsyJr

PostMon Mar 21, 2016 2:47 pm

For WW2 stuff, I'd strongly recommend Chain of Command. Far more realistic than FoW (which as mentioned above, is Warhammer 40k mechanics in a different setting), a lot more tactical, and and all round excellent game.

Playable in any scale, meaning you can get your minis from a huge range of suppliers. My mate bought about 140 models (15mm scale, I believe) for less than $50 a few weeks ago. Bargain.

Plus, the people who make it (Too Fat Lardies) will be releasing a modern version called Fighting Season. I'm excited about this! Time to get my Australians out against the insurgents... :D

pilgrim

Hawk Talon

PostFri Jul 15, 2016 11:45 pm

PullsyJr wrote:For WW2 stuff, I'd strongly recommend Chain of Command. Far more realistic than FoW (which as mentioned above, is Warhammer 40k mechanics in a different setting), a lot more tactical, and and all round excellent game.

Playable in any scale, meaning you can get your minis from a huge range of suppliers. My mate bought about 140 models (15mm scale, I believe) for less than $50 a few weeks ago. Bargain.

Plus, the people who make it (Too Fat Lardies) will be releasing a modern version called Fighting Season. I'm excited about this! Time to get my Australians out against the insurgents... :D

This - 150%

CoC actually makes you think about why units did things the way they did. It is absolutely brutal. Do something stupid (such as frontal assaults) and you lose. Try and out-shoot MG42s - good luck with that. Use real fire and movement and suddenly it works. It needs a bit more thinking about, but it is the only game I have ever played that I looked back on and thought I understand WW2 infantry combat a bit better
Razorworms are just Mother Natures way of reminding you why it is important to man the walls.

Ferrums are the UCM's way of reminding you to take enough AA

Grauenacht

PostTue Apr 11, 2017 7:43 am

As a FoW player myself, I recommend Heroes of Normandie, it's a real ww2 miniature game without the miniatures. The good thing with this game is, this is a"fully painted" wargame, which gives me more time to paint things like DZC or other miniature games :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qECyOZ2xa6E
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/53093/heroes-normandie
-=IF YOU MAKE SOMETHING IDIOTPROOF, THEY KEEP MAKING BETTER IDIOTS=-
Next

Return to Other Games