It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:25 pm

Updating issues

Discuss the FFoR list builder here!
  • Author

marmalade87

Updating issues

PostWed May 15, 2013 8:32 pm

I'm having a lot of trouble getting the update to download. I know it was mentioned that it would take a while but 3 hours and still on 0% seems odd.
Anyone else having/had issues?
How can I resolve this?

Orlanth

Re: Updating issues

PostThu May 16, 2013 2:04 am

Uninstall, and download the whole package again.

That works, though I am finding with a fresh install I cannot save, I just get errors.
"Razorworms are just Mother Natures way of reminding you why it is important to man the walls." - True, but: PHR and UCM don't deploy Razorworms, and Scourge don't have lots of secondary machine gun mounts looking for target.

ExquisiteMonkey

PostThu May 16, 2013 3:31 am

I almost always get

'Unable to retrieve current file list.

Please try to update again later.'

when I try and update, so usually just get an updated installer and go fresh.
Shaltari - We come forth from the Gates of HELL!

Buhallin

PostThu May 16, 2013 5:33 am

The "Unable to Retrieve File List" error is due to a permission issue in Windows. Try installing into a directory outside Program Files - something like C:\FFoR. That usually fixes it.

I really should change the default on that. I'm not sure when Windows started locking down permissions in Program Files so tightly, but even running as Administrator doesn't seem to fix it.

marmalade87

PostThu May 16, 2013 6:47 am

I've tried reinstalling it still having issues but I will try again but outside of programme files.

Daniel36

Hawk Talon

PostFri Jun 21, 2013 2:57 pm

Heya,

I reinstalled today into a different directory, but I cannot update either nor can I save my army files.
Is there any way I can fix this?

Hmm... It works now... O_o
If I use the executable from the folder in which the program is installed, it works fine.
Officially Holland's #4 Dropzone Commander Player!
Now with added Moderator Powers!

Goljsin

PostFri Jun 21, 2013 4:20 pm

This is a standard problem a lot of people have. The default installation directory is Program Files but FFOR doesn't have permission to edit files in that folder. Try installing the program to one of your personal user directories like My Documents, or if you know what you are doing you can grant it access to your Program Files directory.

You will have the same problem when you come to save your army lists. Because they are in a fixed location in the program files directory the save will fail.

Daniel36

Hawk Talon

PostSun Jun 23, 2013 3:37 pm

That wasn't the issue though, because I reinstalled it in a personal folder on a personal drive.
The problem, for my computer anyways, stems from the program launcher. It launches the program, but doesn't allow me to save, nor does it do anything when "updating".

When I open the executable jar file "DzC-FFoR" simple from the folder the program is in, it works fine. I am guessing though I have one of the first versions.
Officially Holland's #4 Dropzone Commander Player!
Now with added Moderator Powers!

Buhallin

PostMon Jun 24, 2013 4:27 pm

When you start from the shortcut, try right-clicking and "Run as Administrator" rather than just clicking it.

If you were just reinstalling an early downloaded version, you might want to try grabbing a new installer. I've made a few improvements to the installer (and the shortcuts) since the first release that might help resolve this.

Return to FFoR