Code Backup/Archived?

Discuss the FFoR list builder here!
  • Author

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

Code Backup/Archived?

PostMon Jan 19, 2015 8:34 am

Hey, Buhallin.

Not to be morbid or anything, but have you supplied Hawk Wargames (or anyone) with a backup of your source code for FFoR, in case something unexpected happens to you?

Having been in software development for 34 years, it occurs to me that there should be a " Golden" copy of your code, refreshed with every update, kept safe somewhere where that The Powers That Be (HWG) can get at it in case you get abducted by aliens. (Which would be PHR, no doubt, looking to enhance your already obvious exceptional skills to Post-Human levels for our..., erm, I mean, their own nefarious purposes...). :lol:

Also (and please don't take this as an insult), but is your code documented, at least internally, so that someone could take over maintaining it should the PHR recruitment ship show up?

Just wondering, as one professional to another. "Business Continuation Plan", and all that. You've got us hooked on FFoR, and HWG is constantly expanding the game, so the need for future updates and enhancements is inevitable. A simple BCP should be in order, I humbly suggest... ;)

Thanks again for all you do for us! :D
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

Buhallin

Re: Code Backup/Archived?

PostMon Jan 19, 2015 9:59 am

At my last job, we had a fun/morbid game... The standard software line is "What happens if you get hit by a bus?" We decided that was boring, and we came up with personalized versions of it. As an avid diver with a huge love of the pointy-toothed denizens of the sea, mine was "What happens if you get eaten by a shark?"

Short of my death, the code is safe. It's in a cloud backup, so not likely to go anywhere any time soon.

But "What happens if I get eaten by a shark?" Well, the code is probably about as well-documented as you can expect from most personal projects ;) There's some unit testing on the data side, which is probably outdated. I'm fairly obsessive about readability, so there's broadly good code formatting, naming structures, etc. Overall API and Javadoc is definitely on the thin side, but there is usually commenting in places where something weird happens.

Overall, I've felt like it wouldn't be hard for someone to pick up. That may have changed a bit with the arrival of the famous commanders - they added more specific coding for them as units than everything else in DzC combined. But even they're decently well documented where things get odd, and it probably wouldn't be too much trouble for someone with a debugger to go through it and figure out what was going on.

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostTue Jan 20, 2015 1:50 am

OK, great. Fair enough.

Yeah, the standard line is, "What if you get hit by a bus?", but that's where I didn't want to get morbid, so I came up with the PHR abduction at 1:30 AM, which I thought was pretty cute. ;) I like yours, too.

Follow up question: So, it's out on the cloud somewhere. Does anyone else know where it is, and could they retrieve it should you get eaten by a shark? I'm thinking someone at Hawk Wargames, or something like that, or a couple of close friends you could leave envelopes with with the title "Open In Case I Get Eaten By A Shark", or something to that effect. It's great that it's up on the cloud; not so great if no one knows where it is, and/or can't access it because of rights/privs.

Just sayin'... :D

Thanks...
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

Buhallin

PostTue Jan 20, 2015 8:02 am

The code exists, but I have not made proper arrangements for FFoR's continuation in the event of my untimely demise, shark-related or otherwise.

It's a fair idea, though, I'll see about getting something set up :)

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostWed Jan 21, 2015 4:59 am

Buhallin wrote:The code exists, but I have not made proper arrangements for FFoR's continuation in the event of my untimely demise, shark-related or otherwise.

It's a fair idea, though, I'll see about getting something set up :)

Thanks! You're an industry unto yourself; would hate to see your legacy dwindle, wither and die without you...

Return to FFoR