It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:12 pm


Apple did it to me again.

Discuss the FFoR list builder here!
  • Author
  • Message
Offline
User avatar

Blipvert

  • Posts: 592
  • Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:18 am

Apple did it to me again.

PostSun Oct 11, 2015 4:14 am

When I start FFOR I get the following error:

To use the "java-jar DzC-FFoR-Launacher.jar" command -line tool you need to install a JDK.

Click "More Info..." to visit the Java Developer Kit download website.

This is less than useful as I have no idea what this means or what it is I'm supposed to download.

Using Mac OS 10.11.
Offline

darthgus

  • Posts: 45
  • Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:32 pm
  • Location: Forres, Moray

Re: Apple did it to me again.

PostSun Oct 11, 2015 6:31 am

Apple have a version of Java specifically for use with OSX. You need to download it and install it.

FFoR is written in Java, as are many applications like Photoshop etc. Without the Java package none of them will work.

But there should be link in your error message to the download page (or it is from the webpage it takes you to to explain whats wrong, I forget).
Offline

Buhallin

  • Posts: 530
  • Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: Apple did it to me again.

PostSun Oct 11, 2015 10:27 am

It looks like the new version of OSX basically disables Java if you have an older version. You'll need to install a newer one, but FFoR should run fine on Java 7 or 8 (note: Not actually tested on a Mac, so there may be some glitches, please let me know if there are).

Try following the instructions here:

https://www.java.com/en/download/help/mac_install.xml
Offline
User avatar

Blipvert

  • Posts: 592
  • Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:18 am

Re: Apple did it to me again.

PostSun Oct 11, 2015 7:24 pm

darthgus wrote:Apple have a version of Java specifically for use with OSX. You need to download it and install it.

FFoR is written in Java, as are many applications like Photoshop etc. Without the Java package none of them will work.

But there should be link in your error message to the download page (or it is from the webpage it takes you to to explain whats wrong, I forget).


There is a link, and it wants you to download something, but there is no guidance and what to download. There are about a dozen files.
Offline
User avatar

Blipvert

  • Posts: 592
  • Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:18 am

Re: Apple did it to me again.

PostSun Oct 11, 2015 7:25 pm

Buhallin wrote:It looks like the new version of OSX basically disables Java if you have an older version. You'll need to install a newer one, but FFoR should run fine on Java 7 or 8 (note: Not actually tested on a Mac, so there may be some glitches, please let me know if there are).

Try following the instructions here:

https://www.java.com/en/download/help/mac_install.xml


Nope, when you try to download you get the same error message as in post 1.
Offline

Buhallin

  • Posts: 530
  • Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: Apple did it to me again.

PostTue Oct 13, 2015 7:14 am

This one, maybe?

https://oliverdowling.com.au/2014/03/28/java-se-8-on-mac-os-x/

Sorry I can't be more help, I don't have general access to a Mac.
Offline
User avatar

Blipvert

  • Posts: 592
  • Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:18 am

Re: Apple did it to me again.

PostWed Oct 14, 2015 3:40 pm

Buhallin wrote:This one, maybe?

https://oliverdowling.com.au/2014/03/28/java-se-8-on-mac-os-x/

Sorry I can't be more help, I don't have general access to a Mac.


Ok, that seemed to work. Thanks!
Offline

Buhallin

  • Posts: 530
  • Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: Apple did it to me again.

PostFri Oct 16, 2015 7:38 pm

Glad it got you back up and running!

Return to FFoR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests