It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:12 pm

Feature request, re: Collections

Discuss the FFoR list builder here!
  • Author

kaffis

Feature request, re: Collections

PostFri Oct 16, 2015 4:37 am

First off, Buhallin, thanks for creating and maintaining this handy tool. It took me a little bit to figure out some of the edge-case interface stuff (such as how to link squads so they can properly share transports without throwing an error), but now that I've been playing around with it a bit, it's (relatively -- PHR mixed-squad rules mean a lot of adding and removing via the drop-downs) quick and easy to work with.

However, as I decided to go in and set up my collection, I ran into a little problem: I'm a nutjob, and magnetized my PHR starter set walkers. I'm sure you can see where this is going -- I have 4 Type-1 chassis and two sets of each weapon loadout. Which the collection feature is simply not equipped to recognize and track. It would be pretty great if I could enter that I have those 4 adaptable chassis, and then indicate which arms I have in what quantities and have the program be smart enough to "use up" any fixed-loadout resin blisters (or plastic sets I decide not to bother magnetizing, I suppose) I get in the future first and then fill gaps with the adaptable models as needed when checking lists against my collection.

Obviously not a huge priority, as the quantity of models that have multiple options for them is pretty low, still, but food for thought if you're looking for a feature to add...

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

Re: Feature request, re: Collections

PostFri Oct 16, 2015 5:18 am

I find that the main utility of the Collections is to produce a Shopping List for you should you work up a list that has something in it that's not in your collection. So I just include everything I have with every option.

For example, when I modeled up my Triton A1's I glued the miniguns and Twin Stealth Missile Systems in place; I didn't see the value of my time in trying to magnetize them, and didn't like the potential of losing such little bitz when they weren't in use. So all of the Triton A1's have both miniguns and Steath missiles on the models, but I don't always take either/both in my lists. In this game, no one really cares that your models aren't strictly WYSIWYG. Then in FFoR I indicated that I had that number (4) of all of the different configurations of A1's, even tho strictly speaking I only have four models.

Now this could present a problem if I include more A1's in my list than the four ones I actually have, but it's not too hard to remember that I only really have just four of them, so when I check the Model List, I can see how many of all loadouts are included in the list and quickly get a total count of A1's in that list, and know right away if I've got more than four total in that army list.

That seems like a much simpler and easier solution than to have Buhallin spend valuable calories trying to figure out a way to modularize the Collections list for folks who choose to magnetize all their options, but don't really have that many chassis. (And as I know he does most of his work on FFoR to keep it up to date and fix any bugs that crop up in the wee hours of the morning, and has a very demanding job on top of that, it seems the least I can do...) ;)
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

Buhallin

PostFri Oct 16, 2015 7:38 pm

Hm. Definitely an odd case. I can certainly appreciate the issue - I magnetize some of my units for other games, so would run into the same thing.

The problem is that I'm honestly not sure I can reasonably fix it to cover all the possible cases for mangetization. Some are pretty easy, such as the Ares/Phobos, but others might be possible with more effort. Hades/Barros? Condor to Eagle? It could get really messy, really fast. It's probably not really something I can do with the time I'm devoting to FFoR right now.

On some of your other points, I have some bad/good news. I know the linking has a problem with discoverability, but for all the time I've been working on this I have yet to come up with a better option. On the good news side, I do have a better interface in mind for the mixed squads. I just haven't gotten around to it yet... FFoR has been in maintenance mode for a while, and isn't getting much of my time these days beyond keeping it up with new units. You might look forward to something over the holidays, though :)

kaffis

PostSat Oct 17, 2015 5:47 pm

That's certainly a reasonable argument against. As J.D. pointed out, I certainly have no intention of magnetizing A1 weapons. Being new to the game, and having thus not really looked hard around at other factions than PHR, I didn't consider that there might be a plethora of other stuff with magnetization opportunities, as I had assumed it was pretty limited to the plastic starter kits' tank-equivalents.

To return to the other point you made; I really like "discoverability" to describe the issue. You captured it perfectly. The issue isn't that the linking process is too clumsy or annoying; it's that I didn't know it was there until I was browsing the pre-made lists that came with the install and saw that the Neptune-sharing Immortals there didn't throw the error. It *wasn't* that I couldn't figure out why I was getting the warning/error... a little experimentation quickly lead me to the correct conclusion that it happened whenever two squads shared a dropship. Instead, the issue is that the error doesn't do anything to tell me how to resolve it.

So, with that in mind; could you make it so that the '!' warning that is currently "invalid transport, must carry 4 units" checked to see if there was an additional squad of an appropriate type to share, and instead displayed "Invalid Transport, Must be linked with Second Squad", that might be enough to prompt one to look for ways to link them.

Return to FFoR