It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:09 am

Decapitation Scenario - Defender

Discuss the FFoR list builder here!
  • Author

grege

Decapitation Scenario - Defender

PostThu Dec 24, 2015 11:04 pm

When putting together a defense force using FFoR for this scenario, why does it make one take two Command Units?

One in the 'free' commander box and another is required with the Command Battle Group.

Am I missing something?

SwordOfJustice

Hawk Talon

Re: Decapitation Scenario - Defender

PostFri Dec 25, 2015 2:15 am

The way I read that scenario is that you get a normal army roster then a free command unit into which your highest level commander goes.
We have evolved beyond mere flesh and bone. We are the Post Human Republic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBC9LIUpKeo

grege

PostFri Dec 25, 2015 11:51 am

So, it does require two Command models, then? :?

For the Scourge, I need two Oppressors to play this scenario? That's an investment!!! :oops:

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostSat Dec 26, 2015 7:54 am

grege wrote:So, it does require two Command models, then? :?

For the Scourge, I need two Oppressors to play this scenario? That's an investment!!! :oops:

No, you can use an Annihilator as a Command vehicle, or any other non-Command vehicle for your other Commander, but if you do the latter your Sphere of Influence is cut in half if your higher level commander is killed. But then, for this scenario, that's a loss, isn't it?

Anyway, you can use any vehicle for your Commander to ride in in any game, it just cuts your SoI in half if it's not a designated Command vehicle...
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

SwordOfJustice

Hawk Talon

PostMon Dec 28, 2015 1:29 am

JD is right in that you can put commanders into any vehicle or aircraft.

What Grege means though is the army roster. The way I read the scenario: yes, you need two command units if you play Clash or Battle. One to fulfil the army list and then a free one given by the mission.

It's a weird mission to be honest. Nice idea, but weird implementation.
We have evolved beyond mere flesh and bone. We are the Post Human Republic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBC9LIUpKeo

Buhallin

PostMon Dec 28, 2015 2:46 am

SwordOfJustice wrote:What Grege means though is the army roster. The way I read the scenario: yes, you need two command units if you play Clash or Battle. One to fulfil the army list and then a free one given by the mission.

This is correct. I verified it with Simon when I was first implementing FFoR - the commander for Decapitation is a completely separate unit outside the normal army list. That's why it gets its own battlegroup in the roster.

grege

PostThu Dec 31, 2015 3:23 am

But FFoR requires you to use a Command Unit for this freebie.

If I can use any old Commander as the unit, why does FFoR not let me do this?

What am I still missing...? As the Scourge, the only legal list this lets me build to defend is two Oppressors (Hero's aside). :?

Buhallin

PostSat Jan 02, 2016 8:27 pm

grege wrote:But FFoR requires you to use a Command Unit for this freebie.

Sorry, I may have missed a bit of the discussion in my sickened state, but this is correct. Here's the scenario detail:

"Defender's Command Unit costs 0 pts and is taken in addition to the Army Rosters. This Command Unit must contain the highest ranking Commander chosen by the Defender."

Emphasis mine. So for Decapitation, the bonus commander does actually have to be a command unit, not just any unit with a commander. That means that yes, you'll need two command units - one for the freebie, and one to satisfy the standard HQ requirement (dependent on game size, as normal). I won't argue the wisdom or pain of this requirement, but I think FFoR does handle it correctly :)

grege

PostSun Jan 03, 2016 10:15 am

OK. Thanks.

Looks like Hawk will get another $30 out of me for the second Commander... :cry: :mrgreen:

Return to FFoR