It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:02 pm

Unable to print

Discuss the FFoR list builder here!
  • Author

moondoggy66

Hawk Talon

Unable to print

PostWed Apr 20, 2016 3:04 am

When I installed the last update a few days ago I am unable to print. No print options or other information come up after selecting printing just a blue spinning busy icon. Windows 8 is the operation version and have not had any problems before the update. I had an older version on a usb drive that printed then was updated with the latest and no printing from then on.

SwordOfJustice

Hawk Talon

Re: Unable to print

PostThu Apr 21, 2016 12:40 am

I've had that same problem before but not at the moment. The only way I fixed it was with a combination of uninstalling FFoR, uninstalling the print driver, reinstalling print driver then FFoR. You could also try reinstalling Java run time environment on your machine amongst the other steps.

I never found an exact answer. It seemed to be a random combination of actions and the fact that Buhallin switched on Java debug the last time it happened, which theoretically shouldn't change anything with printing.

I suspect there is some bug going on with the Java library used for printing.
We have evolved beyond mere flesh and bone. We are the Post Human Republic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBC9LIUpKeo

Garrack

PostThu Apr 21, 2016 12:17 pm

Your best bet is probably to do the print preview and use the windows snapping tool to paste it into something you can print from.

Tarota

PostThu Jun 01, 2017 2:49 am

(Not sure what the forum policy on thread necromancy is yet, so sorry if I should have started a new thread.)

I'm also unable to print, because I'm too cheap to reload my color toner. Every other application I use allows me to set the printing to monochrome, so this isn't generally a problem, but in FFoR that option is greyed out. (Mac user, as well, just to absolutely minimize any overlap with another user.) I also can't save as a file: the dialog comes up, but no file is ever saved to disk. I also tried the screenshot method, but the resolution isn't good enough: the text is already small, so the extra fuzziness just makes for lots of eyestrain.

Any ideas? Thanks.

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostThu Jun 01, 2017 3:07 am

Print to PDF file, then print the PDF.

Dunno, haven't used a Mac in several decades... Don't know what utilities you have available to you, but I'm sure you can print to a PDF file and print the file.

Play around with FFoR, too, and maybe turn off the water mark. I've got a very old HP Laserjet that still cranks out B&W just fine, but most modern grey scales make it choke.

You also can turn off the images for each unit -- I don't use those, they take up too much room on the page, and I know what each unit looks like. Maybe that's giving your printer fits...

What I do is print to a PDF, then email the PDF to my Kindle account, and then open the document in Kindle on my iPad. You've got a Mac -- do you also have an iPad? Makes it a lot easier to have different list variations when you don't have to constantly kill trees and haul their carcasses around... ;)
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

Tarota

PostThu Jun 01, 2017 3:26 am

Unfortunately, print to PDF doesn't seem to be an option. It is for the standard dialogs every other program uses, but apparently not Java? I guess I should look into my Java install.

(There is an option to print to file, which allows me to set a name for a .ps postscript file. But that file doesn't actually get saved, so not much help there...)

Buhallin

PostSat Jun 03, 2017 4:47 pm

Sadly, the options I have to control Java printing are relatively limited.

You best bet to print to PDF is to find one that pretends to be a printer driver. I haven't gone looking for these for Mac, but I believe other people have used them in the past.

Return to FFoR