It is currently Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:42 pm

Command Cards?

Tell the world your Dropfleet related trials and tribulations!
  • Author

starbreaker

Re: Command Cards?

PostSat Jul 15, 2017 2:33 pm

Nobody wrote:
wdarkk wrote:
CaptainCrunch wrote:I ordered them from the Warstore last week and should be receiving them today.

Warstore said they didn't have them when I ordered and had no idea when they'd be getting them. I ended up ordering them from Hawk directly but I'm a bit worried about how hard it is to get them in NA.

Most places I have checked haven't restocked Battleships or worse, starters since the initial wave.

The FLGS here stocked the battleships and maintained restocks on other things fairly well for a while, but the minute the initial sales rush dropped off that stopped and the remaining much-thinned stock has been relegated to what I'd call the "dead game" section. They never had much luck with DzC play in store and DfC has not had any longer legs with the locals (who are now being pushed a steady diet of some new pirate game - Blood & Plunder?). This is a fairly normal business cycle for the owner, who's long since realized that the store and its customer base can only support so many actively-played games at a time and the best sales are always on the newer items. He's stayed in business for years this way and gotten good at identifying what he can and can't expect to sell and adapting fast when he gets one wrong.

I am always kind of amused by how sincere he comes across when touting his current New Thing, and how quickly that stops the moment it's time to move on. Gotta do what you have to to stay afloat, but you'd think more of his regulars (some of whom have been around for nearly 30 years now) would see through the salesmanship.

samspace

Hawk Talon

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 1:57 am

I think that's the model for most FLGS. I was talking about it with one FLGS's owner the other day. The model of a FLGS is difficult to keep afloat. The profit margins are thin and stores come and go very quickly. The only way for them to stay afloat is to sell the "new shiny toy" a whole new game, a whole new army. No way they can pay the bills with gamers supplementing their armies with one or two new units.

Kelbesq

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 3:31 am

Most of my LGS (friendly or otherwise) can special order almost anything that the major distributors carry. The one I actually play at the most gives a 15% discount on minis that they have to special order. It's really a win-win. They get a sale where they still make profit, without having to dedicate shelf space. They still have to front the money, but they at least they know they have a customer, rather than buying inventory blind and hoping for the best.

Nobody

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 4:01 am

I should clarify:

My LGS will happily order stuff. The problem is the distributors.

I've also checked multiple online retailers, and they tend to have the same problem.

Kelbesq

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 4:53 pm

Good point. You can check e-figures inventory without an account, but the other ones I've found (and that many LGS's use) require a non-personal account to access.

wdarkk

Hawk Talon

PostMon Jul 24, 2017 4:26 am

I wish something could be done about the distributor problem, none of my local game stores can get Dropfleet stuff even as a special order. I feel like this will make it really hard to interest people in playing it.

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostMon Jul 24, 2017 7:24 am

wdarkk wrote:I wish something could be done about the distributor problem, none of my local game stores can get Dropfleet stuff even as a special order. I feel like this will make it really hard to interest people in playing it.

Send an email to info@hawkwargames.com and let them know. Tell them the name of your LGS's, and try to find out the names of the distributors these stores are trying to order from and tell them that, too.

The more squeaky wheels we can get, the better, IMO...
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com
Previous

Return to General Discussion