It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:16 pm

Dropfleet Deathclock...??

Tell the world your Dropfleet related trials and tribulations!
  • Author

Jam800

Dropfleet Deathclock...??

PostFri Jun 02, 2017 10:48 pm

Hi guys,

Had an interesting chat with some of the guys down the local FLGS.

Our new local Talon is looking to run a dropfleet tournament in the near future and has been trying to think of how best to run this in a day.

One suggestion was to have a death clock for each round to ensure a quick turn around and high volume of games in a day.

I'm not fully convinced this would work for Dropfleet due to the VP scoring being limited to specific turns but interested to see how it would work. I just feel you'll end up with a load of semi-finished games, which will eventually result in straight up slug fests as games get won or lost on kill points alone.

Has anyone else out there tried this method of play and how did you find it...?

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

Re: Dropfleet Deathclock...??

PostSat Jun 03, 2017 8:41 am

I hate Deathclocks.

Just do 1,250 points, three 2.5 hour rounds, and use the Pendulum method of resolving Ground Combat. You should be fine.

Where are you located?
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

Ljevid

Hawk Talon

PostSat Jun 03, 2017 12:35 pm

Well, I love Deathclocks...

Decisions under (time) pressure provide me with a more realistic and demanding experience

With Dropfleet I`m not sure that it works as well - the deathclock would punish inexperienced players, players with (numerically) larger fleets, people who loose fewer ships (!!), and people who don`t enjoy this form of pressure. The other problem I see of the top of my head is that turns become faster once people start loosing their ships. So a fixed amount of time per turn seems illogical.

What "could" work is (if everybody likes the deathclock idea): Give every player 2.5 hours for the game. If one runs out of time before the end of the game - the other automatically gains 2* (*or more) VP. This should be enough incentive to play fast.
But again - people who loose fewer ships or with larger fleets are at a disadvantage.

What do you think?
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man ON fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life...

Jam800

PostSat Jun 03, 2017 5:45 pm

Thanks for the comments guys.

You kinda confirmed my own thoughts really, i'm not sure it's such a good idea and the level of experience isn't that high in the local group, given that there are about half a dozen regular players at best and the rest are just starting to dip their toe in the water!

I'm based in Lincoln in the UK, JD. The death clock idea sprung up as we have quite a few Warmahordes players round us, so they're kinda used to fast and furious.

I may still try a game on a death clock with our talon and see how it works but I just can't see it fitting with this game.

I think the idea was to have 1.5 hour games per round because of time and space available in store. To hit that I think you need to be playing around the 750 to 999 point mark tops even with the sanitised ground combat rules...

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostSun Jun 04, 2017 8:19 am

Half a dozen players with more "dipping their toes in"? Brilliant! That's a good sized group. Who's your Talon? (Forum name, if you don't mind -- just curious...).

Yeah, WarmaHordes players tend to always want to solve the problem of time with Deathclocks, but as you say (and Ljevid pointed out), it just doesn't work well with Dropfleet.

For 1.5 hour rounds I'd suggest 999 points. It's a decent level, where you can bring a good variety of ships. 750 isn't bad, but you should be able to get to at least Turn 4 with 999 in 1.5 hours, and as players get more experienced, more will make it to Turn 6. As Ljevid also pointed out, later turns tend to go a lot quicker, and this is magnified with smaller points games.

Also, very often you know what the outcome of the game is going to be after scoring Turn 4. Not always, but for example in my game tonight, at T4 it was Scourge (him) 15 VPs to my 5 VPs with my PHR. We started late, and it was clear that the score would continue going in that direction. Of course, this isn't always the case, but often it is, and that's "good enough" for tournament scoring.

I would also use the Optional scoring methods explained in the Tournament Pack for 1) dropping the value of Clusters as Sectors are destroyed, and 2) having Kill Points (on both sides) count for bonus VPs. For example, in our game tonight, the Scourge player would have score a bunch more VPs considering how much of my stuff he was able to kill, while I would have maybe scored the minimum. This I would have considered fair for only making it to T4, as it would have given the Scourge player a much better Tournament Points result, which he deserved.

Anyway, hope that helps! Best of luck with the tournament!
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

Jam800

PostSun Jun 04, 2017 5:07 pm

Thanks JD, although it isn't my tournament - just happy to help to see it succeed and help the Hawk games proliferate in my area (mainly because I want a few more opponents :D ).

Not sure what our talon's forum name is, i'd have to find out... he's literally just picked up the mantle this week, as our last talon has since become a full time Hawk employee.

We've certainly got a good number of Dropzone players after the latest escalation league and some of these folk are showing a bit of interest in Fleet but it really needs a got escalation league to really take off...

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostTue Jun 06, 2017 4:41 am

Might not be your tournament to run, but you can certainly give your Talon the feedback. ;)

Best of luck!

Guardian

Hawk Talon

PostTue Aug 01, 2017 2:07 am

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but why not a 1.75 hour or 2 hour clock but score on turns 3 and 5? Still make the games six turns long so people can try to table their opponent. Or have a custom objective that can only be obtained on turn 6 and is worth 4 or 5 VP. That way there is incentive to finish turn 6 - if the game is close and the lower VP player can claim the T6 objective, then that might win them the game.

And JD, what do you mean by the pendulum method of ground combat? I've been out of the loop for a few months.
- Guardian

Dropzone - Shaltari, Scourge
Dropfleet - Shaltari, Scourge

Cohost of The HotLZ Podcast

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostTue Aug 01, 2017 4:51 am

Guardian wrote:And JD, what do you mean by the pendulum method of ground combat? I've been out of the loop for a few months.

See this thread, starting with Ravanar's post on Page 4 and going to Page 6:

http://www.hawkforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=9674&start=30

It may seem a little disjointed, as Ravanar's images appear to be gone. But poke around on the Talon Forum, Page 2, and you'll see some related topics.

It's basically a system for quick ground combat resolution that doesn't involve dice rolling, just "netting out" Armor and Infantry based on assigning a value of 2 to each Armor, 1 to each Infantry, and 0 to Defense Batteries.

Let me know if you still have questions after reading this and the other threads...

Shikatanai

PostTue Aug 01, 2017 6:26 am

I would really appreciate a Deathclock... even at 1250 Pts and 3 hours there is the potential to delay games long enough to change the outcome if you play slow.
Also I really like the idea of timepressure - it is a very interesting dimension if you do not only have to make decisions but to make them fast.
Next

Return to General Discussion