It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:21 am

Space stations and drop heavy lists

Tell the world your Dropfleet related trials and tribulations!
  • Author

Shunter

Space stations and drop heavy lists

PostSun Sep 24, 2017 10:54 am

Just a quick question. I think i know the answer after reading the book again but without any experience i wanted to check.

Why do drop heavy lists suffer with space stations missions?

Is it because there's no atmosphere to hide vulnerable strike carriers in? Or something else?

If heavy on strike carriers. Cant you soak these hits up anyway?

swampsheep

Re: Space stations and drop heavy lists

PostSun Sep 24, 2017 11:55 am

I think you are spot on. With no atmosphere to hide in, strike carriers are easy prey. This is - IMO - one of the primary reasons why any all-comers all-scenario list should include at least one troopship. They are significantly better at dropping to space stations than the strike carriers are.

Being heavy on strike carriers you can soak up some of the hits, but they are (PHR excluded) vulnerable ships not really meant to be in the receiving end of a cruisers full firepower. Of course, sending a small handful to a space station or delay their movement to minimize the amount of time in a turn they are within firing distance might land you some troops, but they are unlikely to be able to stay there for long.

Another aspect is that for a shooting heavy list it is easier to destroy a space station than a sector. So if a drop heavy list gets a very strong foothold on a particular space station the easy response for the shooting heavy list is simply to give it up and shoot it to pieces. Especially for medium and small space stations. A similar tactic on a sector would require a lot of bombardment in the list.
http://linkedbroadsides.com - My blog with analysis, tactics and thoughts about dropfleet. Updates Mondays and Thursdays.

Shunter

PostSun Sep 24, 2017 3:15 pm

Ahhhh. I hadn't considered blowing up a space station. Yes i understand more now and can see how that also would make a difference. Seems like there should be a vp negative for blowing up a valuable space station though.

I am struggling to choose a1250pt list currently. And as i have not played a proper game i keep dropping out strike carriers for more fun stuff. But wondering how much it might hinder me. I am down to3phr troop sgips and just 2 medeas. And hoping the troopships make up for lack of strike carriers.

swampsheep

PostSun Sep 24, 2017 5:32 pm

I think PHR, as the only faction, can go rather low on strike carriers if you use troopships to compensate.
I'm currently trying out a 999p army based around 2-3 Orpheus (trying out different options) and only 2 Medeas. It has worked wonders so far, and that is in missions that are not particular space station heavy.

You might have a point with the victory points penalty. However, I don't think anybody would destroy a space station (or a sector) unless the enemy is so heavily entrenched there, that gaining control is out of the question. In that case, I see it more as a secondary object as in "Primary objective: Capture space station, secondary objective: Make sure it is not in enemy hands". Seen from that perspective, it is punishment enough that you are unable to gain victory points from it.
http://linkedbroadsides.com - My blog with analysis, tactics and thoughts about dropfleet. Updates Mondays and Thursdays.

Shunter

PostSun Sep 24, 2017 7:21 pm

Yes good points.

As i don't see me getting any practise games before a tournament, i am writing a lot of lists and trying to figure out something that will work.

But the amount of variety and the game mechanic makes our very difficult. I think because so many ships are a viable option. Which is great.

Admiral JCJF

PostSun Sep 24, 2017 10:35 pm

The space station based missions do seem to be a pretty good inclusion in terms of their impact on the "meta".

They make a big difference to the viability of the Strike Carrier swarm as a list building approach, and further contribute to the balance between Strike Carriers and Troop Ships.

Comparative ease of engaging and destroying space stations in comparison to sectors (simply through the comparative effect and availability of void weapons vs bombardment weapons) is an element which I hadn't considered.

Space stations seem to be much better "armed" than comparable clusters, how much of an impact does that seem to have?
Why would we waste words on Prey?

jjakaalbinoboy

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 4:25 pm

Yeah we played the Station Assault mission at UKGE and it was a tough mission, more so for those with no troopships.

My fall-back plan was to capture the closest stations and blow up the rest.
JJ - DzC: UCM DfC: UCM

Gaming @ Redditch Wargaming Society - Redditch, Worcestershire, UK

Return to General Discussion