It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:52 am

Destroyer Preview

Tell the world your Dropfleet related trials and tribulations!
  • Author

dread2005

Hawk Talon

Re: Destroyer Preview

PostWed Oct 25, 2017 12:19 pm

well well

i am still alive! ,-P i thought of waiting for my Wave II items, til i rock deeper into Dropfleet again... well they are not at my hands yet...

Here my new opinion on the UCM Preview, how about a bigger Brother of the Dropship? something between a dropship and troopship?

maybe can land Tanks, Batteries or Infantry, Heavy Dropship!

or its the First Tech ship, which can Repair lost HP or other fail-functions? that would be cool

or a small UCM Carrier?! Bombers away ;-P

all these vatiants dont need weapon mounts, why show a unfinished model? (maybe because of variants could be)
Quote: " nothing is ever easy " by zedicus zul zorrander

Dropfleet ADMIRAL may Mankind conquer the universe
UCM ~2500 Points, PHR ~2000 Points

Dropzone GENERAL revenge of Mankind
PHR 2000 Points, UCM 3500 Points

Stompzilla

PostWed Oct 25, 2017 12:47 pm

Personally, I'd like to see destroyers have an atmospheric effect. A way of shooting down SCs from low orbit without having to spam out groups with Corvettes and hopefully bring a bit more balance to the Troopship vs Strike Carrier situation and make orbital dominance a bit more important.

Dheran

PostWed Oct 25, 2017 1:37 pm

I also hope each race will get an ASW (anti-submarine weapon) dedicated Destroyer to hunt those pesky atmosphere diving subs. I mean ships.

Admiral JCJF

PostWed Oct 25, 2017 8:20 pm

Dheran wrote:I also hope each race will get an ASW (anti-submarine weapon) dedicated Destroyer to hunt those pesky atmosphere diving subs. I mean ships.

The game would certainly be better for the existence of another predator for the otherwise all-conquering Strike Carrier swarm.

And I say that as a Scourge player, the faction with the most to lose from the Atmosphere becoming a more dangerous place.
Why would we waste words on Prey?

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

PostWed Oct 25, 2017 9:45 pm

Dheran wrote:I need my rulebook to make image by image comparison.
However to me, the things sticking out of the wing housings (on the inside of each wing) look like missile warheads similar to what each UCM frigate has in the nose. The rulebook on the Strike Carrier schematic defines those as CA missiles. That's why I assumed those are destroyer CA missile housings.

The ones on the other ships are rounded nosed missile like things. These look more like a bump with a nipple type sensor pod to me. Happy to be wrong if they are missiles (maybe those into atmo missiles look different if that is what we are getting). The fact they are mounted in their own box structure does suggest they are somewhat important if not the purpose for the ship.

Nobody

PostWed Oct 25, 2017 11:52 pm

I'm kinda worried that if Destroyers are too good at killing ships in the atmosphere, Corvettes will become shelf-warmers for some factions.

Admiral JCJF

PostThu Oct 26, 2017 3:31 am

Nobody wrote:I'm kinda worried that if Destroyers are too good at killing ships in the atmosphere, Corvettes will become shelf-warmers for some factions.

Haven't they already?
Why would we waste words on Prey?

Nobody

PostThu Oct 26, 2017 4:59 am

Admiral JCJF wrote:
Nobody wrote:I'm kinda worried that if Destroyers are too good at killing ships in the atmosphere, Corvettes will become shelf-warmers for some factions.

Haven't they already?

Kinda? People still try with them though and Hawk (TTCombat?) can still look at improving them.

If Destroyers are good enough though, it'll pretty much mean that it's not just the serious business players that have given up on Corvettes and will signal the rest that it's time to put them to bed.

Dheran

PostThu Oct 26, 2017 9:49 am

We don't know if any of the destroyers will have anti-atmosphere weapons right now. It is wishful thinking on our part. I love the idea, but nothing has been confirmed in the matter.

I imagine if the ASW destroyers have similar atmosphere killing capability per point as corvettes, then it should be balanced enough. They will be tougher to kill (assuming 5hp base) but they will have many other drawbacks: sitting duck in low orbit, high thrust requiring station keeping to keep over target, etc.

On a side note: the UCM destroyer seems to be very modular - having 3 wings and a spinal weapon/sensor. Maybe we will see plastic destroyers? I mean you only switch the spinal weapon/sensor for something else and you have a new ship class.
E.g.:
- Small BTL to have Pandora equivalent in UCM
- Mauler BT CAW (it's coming, I'm telling you :D )
- ASW with missile racks pointing downwards
- support with I have no idea what
- EDIT: gunboat with large cruiser mass drivers, but only frontal cone?
One can dream, right? ;)

Drcox

PostThu Oct 26, 2017 9:23 pm

I read that a lot of destroyers now are ant sub or anti air, so perhaps a anti strike carrier and aegis equivalent for each race (well not very need some differences)

Then an attack build, and perhaps a unique variant too? So perhaps PHR it’s got heavy caliber guns, or Shaltari it’s a gate booster etc
PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion