It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:24 am

Destroyer Preview

Tell the world your Dropfleet related trials and tribulations!
  • Author

snuggles05

Re: Destroyer Preview

PostFri Oct 27, 2017 1:42 am

this is a link to the UCM destroyer in question:

https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5A6907B6

That being said, it looks like there is fixed weapon of some kind under each of the 3 wing/claw extensions off the middle section. it also looks like there are to weapon ports on each extension about halfway between the tip and the connection pieces on the part of the hull that protrudes towards the center. so it could be anything they want really. Honestly I just want the destroyers to be fun to play, and any light UCM model that I can paint a shark face on.

Nobody

PostFri Oct 27, 2017 4:59 am

They could go the Eve Online route and make them frigate killers. Perhaps equipped with weapons that allow them to savage large groups of them

Jam800

PostSun Oct 29, 2017 8:13 am

Could this be a mine-layer of some sort...? Other that the point defence lasers, I can't see any other armament....

Gauntlet

PostSun Oct 29, 2017 5:10 pm

It does have a square/angled structure jutting from the rear of the central spire... it isn't an engine, those are on the three wings... so that could be some sort of rear mounted launcher for mines...

Obviously mines would be... odd, in open space, but much less so in atmosphere. So perhaps.

snuggles05

PostMon Oct 30, 2017 10:19 am

Gauntlet wrote:It does have a square/angled structure jutting from the rear of the central spire... it isn't an engine, those are on the three wings... so that could be some sort of rear mounted launcher for mines...

Obviously mines would be... odd, in open space, but much less so in atmosphere. So perhaps.

I see that too, and I am a little worried it will be either a 1-launch carrier, or a fluff maintaining strike craft (since the San Francisco is pretty lackluster).
There is still a possibility of a mass driver type weapon on each of the three prong tips. you can see what could pretty easily be accelerators. equally possible is the bulge in each of the three prongs, right behind the proposed accelerators. it could be a smaller torpedo launcher, but there are 2 protrusions in each one.

lothlanathorian

PostMon Oct 30, 2017 2:29 pm

Central dome-jangler: Sensor sweet or command bubble. Humans are stupid and REALLY like having command bubbles.

Half way up each "claw": Those definitely look like missile bays to me. Just because they aren't duplicates of extant missile systems doesn't mean they aren't a variant system. Likely, they'll have different stats than the current crop of UCM missiles.

The tips of each "claw": I'm hoping for that CAW Burnthrough. I wanted to think they'd be three heavy railguns mounted on a smaller ship with the forward narrow firing arc (thinking along the lines of the Eagle with these and the missiles), but the actual ends of the weapon made me think it would be energy based.

My hopes and dreams: Those are a new missile weapon system and that's a CAW Burnthrough so I can get in real close and then rip your face off, because that appeals to me.
aags_jim7 wrote:Tactics aren't something to bitch about. They're what separate games from just rolling dice in a parking lot.

Lordprinceps

PostMon Oct 30, 2017 3:36 pm

Ehhh, I don't think the tips are weapons either. They don't have the same aesthetic as other UCM lasers, and the bits that could be seen as shooty bits are quite similar to the sensor gubbins that are seen on every other UCM prow.
If you're talking about the grill/radiators on the inside of each wing, every UCM cruiser has something like that on the inside middle of their upper prow, so that's not indicative either.

In particular, the little nubs that are halfway sunk into the ends of the prows are similar to the details on the Johannesburg/Perth.

WizardLizard

PostTue Oct 31, 2017 8:04 am

The missile pods are the only obviously visible weapon systems that I can see, the little spikey things on the wings are very similar to the sensors on other UCM ships.

I wouldn't be surprised if this ship only has a close action weapon, perhaps with 'swarmer', although that would make it very similar to the Taipei.

Tim

PostTue Oct 31, 2017 8:10 am

So sounds like a teipie that can shoot low orbit to atmosphere then

dread2005

Hawk Talon

PostTue Oct 31, 2017 9:16 am

well well, lets wait and see some actual sneak preview on this...

i am not sure if i like new from low to atmo weapon systems.... that would be a hard designchange
Quote: " nothing is ever easy " by zedicus zul zorrander

Dropfleet ADMIRAL may Mankind conquer the universe
UCM ~2500 Points, PHR ~2000 Points

Dropzone GENERAL revenge of Mankind
PHR 2000 Points, UCM 3500 Points
PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion