It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:23 am

And Now - The Monitor!

Tell the world your Dropfleet related trials and tribulations!
  • Author

Maverick

Re: And Now - The Monitor!

PostThu Nov 09, 2017 4:07 pm

In my humble assessment:

A monitor would be a ship smaller than a frigate but bigger than a corvette. A monitor might have the option to skirt the atmosphere or operate at the "shallows" of an atmosphere. I would not limit monitors with definitions on armour, weapons, tech or operation definition. It should be flexible like the frigate but smaller, and small enough to operate at the edge or just within the edge of atmospheres.

A Destroyer should be a ship that is sized between the frigates and light cruisers. Again I wouldn't limit options on these ships, but I tend to think of "overloaded multiple weapons" or one large weapon (a new true battleship weapon) on a ship that may not have enough armour, energy or speed for the weapon load out.

A Drednought may just be a Battleship or similar size ship with new weapons that are a "battleship" class instead of multiples of smaller weapons.
Winter is coming

Dheran

PostThu Nov 09, 2017 5:59 pm

The problem I see with monitors of your size is that a ship sized between corvette and frigate will actually be tougher than frigates. In Dropfleet 3>4 when it comes to max hull points.

Your definition of destroyer is where I see the monitor, except light cruiser sized.

IIRC Andy Chambers said that last time he has seen Dropfleet destroyer stats, they were 6HP. And that they were designed for killing ships in atmo from low orbit.

Admiral JCJF

PostFri Nov 10, 2017 2:08 am

Dheran wrote:The problem I see with monitors of your size is that a ship sized between corvette and frigate will actually be tougher than frigates. In Dropfleet 3>4 when it comes to max hull points.

Yeah, but 3 hull would be an interesting way to make something "tough".

If that's the direction they wanted to go.
Why would we waste words on Prey?

Maverick

PostFri Nov 10, 2017 4:17 am

Dheran wrote:Your definition of destroyer is where I see the monitor, except light cruiser sized.

I just believe that it would be a good thing to spread out the weight class/size of the new ships and give the new ships a new hull design for variety.

Right now there isn't a lot of different ship hulls out there and another cruiser type ship doesn't peek my interest. Yea, I know, that's a very meta game and personal reason.
Winter is coming
Previous

Return to General Discussion