It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:31 am

Drop Spam Commander

Tell the world your Dropfleet related trials and tribulations!
  • Author

dread2005

Hawk Talon

Re: Drop Spam Commander

PostFri Feb 09, 2018 4:30 pm

AdamJHilton wrote:"BTL"?

Yeah, I guess Madrids are kind of worthless in a space station scenario. Good point. It does make more sense to bring ships that will be worthwhile in all scenarios. Maybe a single Madrid at most; two is a huge points investment for underpowered cruises when there are no ground clusters to target.

Your list looks to be roughly half ground game and half combat. That still seems to be a bit much in the ground game, but at least there will still be starships blowing up; which is what makes DFC a fun game!

I do think that Madrids can do duty in a Space Station scenario, by holding the Crititcals for example! and with combinated CAW of tow Madrids, its 4 - 14 dice. So CAW can do hurt in orbital game

Well Dropfleet without a drop.. is somehow ridicules isn't it... and i like the part of this game very much!

The intend that you don't need to blow up your enemy, i love this part most! ;-7
Quote: " nothing is ever easy " by zedicus zul zorrander

Dropfleet ADMIRAL may Mankind conquer the universe
UCM ~2500 Points, PHR ~2000 Points

Dropzone GENERAL revenge of Mankind
PHR 2000 Points, UCM 3500 Points

AdamJHilton

PostFri Feb 09, 2018 5:30 pm

I do like the balance aspect of DFC. I just hate that the idea that the game could come down to whoever has the most strike carriers wins. Fighting in orbit is the fun part!

Gauntlet

PostSat Feb 10, 2018 12:42 am

I enjoy the game... But I hate how important striking first is and how little endurance ships have.

Oh and how irrelevant the damage charts are... Yet how cumbersome they are too.

Stompzilla

PostMon Feb 12, 2018 11:37 am

Shikatanai wrote:--------------------------------------
UCM 1250 - 1250pts
UCM - 0 launch assets

SR11 Vanguard battlegroup (227pts)
1 x Avalon - 195pts - H
+ UCM Commodore (40pts, 3AV)
1 x New Orleans - 32pts - L

SR11 Vanguard battlegroup (227pts)
1 x Perth - 195pts - H

SR11 Line battlegroup (208pts)
2 x New Cairo - 176pts - M

SR6 Line battlegroup (137pts)
1 x Berlin - 105pts - M

SR9 Pathfinder battlegroup (239pts)
1 x San Francisco - 111pts - M
2 x New Orleans - 64pts - L

SR6 Pathfinder battlegroup (192pts)
------------- dflist.com -------------

Yep. This is sadly the state of things at present. You may be able to develop tactics to deal with it but the advantage is always going to be with the UCM player.

I'm still planning to build and use a Moscow and some Tolouns along with a Madrid but I know that I'm hampering myself compared to taking more burnthroughs and Strike Carriers.

Shikatanai

PostMon Feb 12, 2018 12:03 pm

dread2005 wrote:
I do think that Madrids can do duty in a Space Station scenario, by holding the Crititcals for example! and with combinated CAW of tow Madrids, its 4 - 14 dice. So CAW can do hurt in orbital game

The thing about that is that you invest a lot of pts... and than you can hold a crit or get really bad CAW damage output at best. I'm afraid that's not how you can win tournaments. Bringing lists that are subpar for certain scenarios basicly kills most chances getting placed on top - especially if the subpar part of the list is arguabely not better than other setups in scenarios you take them for...

Metal_Oida

PostWed Mar 14, 2018 9:06 pm

Well, just a short drive by... wow, this thread exploded. I'm not much of a forum user nowadays but I still play a lot DfC.
Anyway.. I didn't read everything here. My little gaminggroup (okay, we are 2...but in orkish terms that's nearly a warband ^^) tried too boost troopships by giving them 2 more hullpoints... problem is...this certainly does not increase the number of fighting ships on the table, and second it didnt change much.
Over the course of the last year the amount of strike carriers in our lists constantly grew, although we have some sort of gentleman agreement NOT to use imba lists... like 18 strike carriers or...well playing shaltari at all :P (you dont play shaltari if you're good sport...)
anyway... atm we are planning to make some houserules to a) make troopships more attractive and b) make strike carriers more unattractive.

The big problem without at least 2 Troopships is, that the orbital game becomes nearly irrelevant and you lose or win the game in atmosphere... all that beautiful Medium Cruiser are useless already, the super cool Heavy cruisers are way too expensive and the light cruisers are the only viable fighting ships in this game and even they are not that important if you look at the ratio of points spent for StrikeCarriers vs.... pretty much everything else.
Well, lets hope the game grows in a direction so that I can advertise it to new gamers... but as of now our group will remain an orkish warband ^
What should I tell new players? The mechanics are beautiful, the Minis are gorgeous, but ffs dont play Shaltari, and plz... dont hurt yourself like I did and start this game playing PHR, aaand btw... go and buy at least16 strike carriers....

wellwell, lets hope the best

Gauntlet

PostWed Mar 14, 2018 9:27 pm

Well plenty of games have a few factions that people shouldn't start with... so PHR is ours... no biggy.

The Shaltari are always going to be a problem, but they are not so Imba that it isn't fun to play in my opinion. If you just keep them from using their Battleship... that's pretty good :)

As for Strike Carriers... my group just sets a range... at 1250 you are allowed between 4 and 8. You can have as many Troopships as you like :)

Try to play with stations that are important, and the Troopships start being a bit more useful too!

BlackLegion

PostThu Mar 15, 2018 6:11 am

Had a 999pts game Scourge vs PHR. Scourge had 8 Gargoyles and PHR 3 Medeas and 1 Orpheus(? The troop ship with light batterys).
The troop ship landed troops once and then was killed. By round 4 the Scourge had nothing left in orbit and scored 12:6 in turn 4. In turn 6 it ended with 18:18.
4 Nikars needed 4 turns to kill a Medea and tok 2 damage from another Medea.
Previous

Return to General Discussion