It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:42 am

Sell me on Dropfleet

Tell the world your Dropfleet related trials and tribulations!
  • Author

Overread

Sell me on Dropfleet

PostMon Jan 29, 2018 4:01 pm

With the exclusives up for sale for a bit and with Dropfleet returning to life the fantastic sculpts are tempting me in. However at present I find it near impossible to make a choice on focusing on a single fleet (and there's no way I can justify two or three or four at once).

I've also found it tricky finding a nice reference of photos showing things such as all the cruiser variations for each faction (even the great official photos don't quite cover all the options).

So far I've only (just) managed to write off Scourge as a choice - even though many of their ships do look very neat they are not quite what I'm after.

PHR - Smooth covers on many of their ships (which suggests to me that they should be the easiest army to clean up mould line wise); with rank after rank of broadsides. Rather arrow-like with the flares on the rear of their ships and the smooth fronts, yet deep with those ranks of guns.

Shaltari - Almost literal Glass Cannon faction with a love of long range. Some very sleek and alien looking designs, although possibly a bit scary to clean with all those ridges and flares and such?
Some art of them really sparks the imagination too
https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/550987335648661162/

UCM - Ships that just ooz the "human" side to their design; as well as having turreted cannon bridling from all sides. Certainly sparks the whole spaceship wars feel with the guns firing off (just the kind of sci-fi one would get in the 80-90s animation).

If anyone has good fleet photos, giving a feel of what a collection of the ships look like (as well as sizes next to other things and each other); as well as general points on assembly, playstyle etc.... Basically whatever you've got to try and sell me on each of those three factions.

Also any comparison photos comparing the exclusive to the regular ships would be good - my impression is that the Scourge and UCM got the better exclusives - Shaltari doesn't look "too" different from what I can tell and PHR I can't tell much either.

ghostgundam1

Re: Sell me on Dropfleet

PostTue Jan 30, 2018 2:11 pm

If you are drawn to a certain aesthetic, then I think you should go in that direction and then learn to play that faction. I actually find the scourge fun to play with their cloak, stealth, and scald ability on most of their weapons. However, if you want a more balanced fleet go with UCM, want a reach out and touch you fleet then the Hedgehogs, if you want up in your face wand sneaky then Scourge, and finally the PHR which is very good at taking and holding with their defense and unique units. If you want pictures there are many online to look at, but again if you are going to aesthetic then only you can choose that for yourself. Good Luck man.... I think all the fleets have their pros and cons, but figure out what kind of Admiral you want to be and make a choice then..... :D

Overread

PostTue Jan 30, 2018 4:11 pm

You're right that aesthetic choices have to be personal as its all down the person. I've been hunting around the forums here and google and such for photos. Oddly I can't find any comparison photos between the exclusive and regular battlecruisers (ergo both in the same photo).

I've almost boiled it down to just the UCM and Shaltari [of men and hedgehogs]. I think almost the only detraction for Shaltari is the lack of obvious "engines" on them as compared to the other factions

ghostgundam1

PostTue Jan 30, 2018 6:13 pm

The UCM is going to be a easier faction to learn to play the game with in my opinion. I own a good size fleet for Scourge, UCM, and PHR but haven't bough the Shaltari yet. I have played against them and those who know how to play their ships tend to be a great opponent and those who don't are much easier to beat because they can't play them like the other ones. I think if you want a challenge at first go with the Shaltari, but if you want to just learn the in and outs of the games with different strategies then go with the UCM. I like the way my UCM look the best out off all the fleets I have.

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

PostTue Jan 30, 2018 6:47 pm

Factions are reasonably balanced between each other right now as a whole (some internal balance issues but nothing major). I'd suggest just going for what you think you will enjoy painting the most.

Here are a couple quick shots I took of my Scourge and UCM battle cruisers next to the special versions:

Keep in mind the UCM standard ship is much narrower than the regular cruisers as it does not have those engine/weapon pod/wings. Harder to tell in pictures but it is a very sleak design that many people I have met do not like in person (compared to the special version that just adds on the the normal ship). Scourge special ship is kinda boring in my opinion when compared to the new hotness.

Overread

PostTue Jan 30, 2018 7:19 pm

Ghost - aye I've read that Shaltari are very much the glass cannon faction - powerful yet easily used wrong or damaged by fire compared to others.

Cry thanks for the photos - and yes you are right that some of the newer designs look very good for the battlecruisers. Have to say I do prefer the hangers on the original UCM version where they are far more visible. Out of interest did you ever see the Shaltari versions to compare?

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

PostTue Jan 30, 2018 7:37 pm

I have not seen the official resin battle cruisers besides my own. A few people have had the special versions of either Shaltari or PHR but I honestly don't think they look all that different so it is down to personal taste more so than normal.

I would call Scourge the glass cannon over the Shaltari. Between shields and Opals they can be very tough to kill (plus they can stay out of danager while Scourge need to get that alpha strike in with their close action ships). The way the crippling table works also means the Shaltari are as likely to be crippled as a 10 hull ship with their 9 hull. This is a bigger deal than it sounds like on paper especially with shields negating the auto damage of criticals (and you will quickly find out that criticals are what kill ships more often than not).

Shikatanai

PostTue Jan 30, 2018 7:55 pm

I disagree on the balancing stuff - right now imho Shaltari are by far the strongest faction and they are everything but glass cannons. Due to shields they have several advantages other Factions don't have that give them the highest sustain if you want them to plus the best drop performance. The only scenarios where I would not call a battle against Shaltari uphill are station heavy scenarios.
Of course this only applies to really maxed out fleets.

Besides that I'd just follow the advice of everybody here: At first go for aesthetics especially if you only want to go for 1 faction :)

Edit:
Concerning the Shaltari BCs:
I personally prefer the KS exclusive because the new one seems a lot more fragile to me modelwise... only a really small part for gluing together and the parts are very easy to bent because they are relatively thin. I like "solid" models where I do not have to fear damaging it. Designwise I think both have their own charm.

wundergoat

PostWed Jan 31, 2018 1:32 am

I'm afraid I don't have a side by side, but the Shaltari BC is made wholly of resin, so all those long, thin pieces were a royal pain to straighten and align. As for the KS BC, I ended up using the sprues to make two cruisers instead, figuring I can make the BC at a later date.

Overread

PostWed Jan 31, 2018 3:59 pm

Well the choice is made - damage to the bank balance done and the postman is now the only thing I'm waiting for

Details - photos - revelations on the choice to come once the parcel arrives
Next

Return to General Discussion