It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:25 pm

Getting Started with Shaltari

Tell the world your Dropfleet related trials and tribulations!
  • Author

Overread

Getting Started with Shaltari

PostFri Feb 02, 2018 9:39 pm

So I figure with the relaunch there should be a few of us getting into the game who might have some early on questions, so in advance of the other races getting ahead here's a thread for general questions, chat and (hopefully) answers on the Shaltari.

Giving a start to things - Cruisers and Frigate build choices.

Be it if people have got a starting set or the new battle fleets, that means having a block of cruiser and frigate hulls and a huge variety of choices to make. So that starts to beg a few questions

1) What would the ideal cruiser and frigate ship types be to establish a solid starting fleet. Ergo which choices can't you go wrong with and will either regularly appear in fleets and/or provide a strong solid core.

2) What are you fleet counts for different cruiser/frigate types? This is just a general question to get an idea of what people find popular and what works. IT also gives people a rough idea of what kind of numbers of each type tend to see use - as there are surely some that are good in groups whilst others which tend to only need one or two only ever.

3) Are there any getting started guides or similar that you'd recommend to read/watch. Not just for gaming, but for building, assembly etc...

4) How would you expand beyond a starting fleet/battle fleet

Note if any are unaware there are building guides on the official Hawk Website here:
https://www.hawkwargames.com/blogs/down ... ion-guides
There are 10 different types of cruiser and 4 different types of frigate

My early thoughts on building are:
1) Be very very careful when cutting the models out of the sprue. There's a good few parts held on by very small connection points onto spikes/spines (esp on the frigates). These really need to be very carefully clipped off first before removing any of the bugger sprue parts (as removing bigger parts can cause the parts to jump a little, which can break off fine parts connected on other segments).

2) The plastic sprue is actually pretty thick (probably one of the thickest I've encountered for plastics). This, plus the aspect above, makes me often clip the part far from the join area and then trim the part down and then use a blade (scalpel) to finally remove the sprue. This way you don't jolt the model as your working on removing the part and damage another part; or end up clipping too much off and damaging the model

3) I notice that a LOT of the spine joins on the thicker parts are on the edges of crests that have a corner rather than a flat surface. So these require some careful removing - cutting off the bulk of the sprue then carefully scraping it down so that one can retain the angled edge (these parts really benefit from cutting far back from the join area and then working it down as noted above in point 2).

4) There's a lot of spare parts for the cruisers so there's some ripe material here for some kit-bashing or conversions. I've casually seen one or two using the main hull part for the carrier (the large circle part that isn't a gate), be interesting to see if there's any other good ones out there.

5) Looking at the join areas there's potential here to use magnets if you want on some of the join areas. A few tiny magnets along the main weapon join arms on the cruisers would be possible (I'm thinking very few, but a good 5 or so magnets - since the base section is not that thick); Frigates you could also affix a magnet to the front and then interchange the different front sections.
Not a must, but its possible.

6) If one gets the battle fleet there's also a resin battleship within. Great details on it, but the resin parts are long and mine certainly require some straightening. Some hot (not boiling) water and patience with careful steady bending is required. If you do this remember that you want to do it in small steps and repeat the warming process over and over again. A series of small changes is better than trying to force it with one big movement (a big movement is more likely to break the resin than change its direction).
I suspect I'll use a thick book or other surface to place atop the wings to help get them as flat as possible. Any tips from anyone who has done this already would be most valuable.

7) On the battleship (another resin cast) there's some straightening needed again (not just the long main gun, but also the crest that curls around the ship - again same resin straightening method as outlined earlier for the battlecruiser). The trickier part here is the join area between the two hull sections; right now it looks like it will be a case of not just cleaning it up, but also some greenstuff to fill in a little bit of a gap. Fiddly but should be doable. I might pin this as well as whilst its resin (so not heavy) its a major join area between the two sections of the ship and the weakest point.

Note - whilst there's a lot of fiddly parts in these ships the battleship (either variation) is one where paint before assembly might be a must have. This is mostly when placing the main weapon (hanger or gun) as that covers over areas that are still visible when the model is assembled (esp the hanger which reveal the fantastic interior detail of ships ready to launch).
One could also place a magnet in the very rear of the hanger area (inside the edge outline and where the rearmost ships are shown) and magnetize both top options. Note whilst this would technically be destroying detail, the very back of the hanger is very shadowed once assembled so its detail you won't miss if its gone in most cases.

Personally (having started with a battle fleet) I'm thinking of using the 6 cruisers and 8 frigates to build:
Cruisers - a couple of easy choices in the popular mothership and also the obsidian (because who doesn't want a cruiser with 3 large guns on it!)
2 Emerald Motherships
1 Obsidian Heavy Cruiser

3 spare cruiser hulls to pick choices from

Frigates: (I figure a functional pair of each of the various types
2 Amethyst
2 Opal
2 Topaz
2 Jade

I've also got a Battleship where I'm not sure which variation to build. I'm half considering magnetizing it, but its such a great model that I know I'll wind up owning two in time so that sort of then begs the question of if anyone would ever field two of the same variation at the same time.

Eddieddi

Re: Getting Started with Shaltari

PostMon Feb 05, 2018 2:59 pm

I will answer Inside the quote in red.

Overread wrote:So I figure with the relaunch there should be a few of us getting into the game who might have some early on questions, so in advance of the other races getting ahead here's a thread for general questions, chat and (hopefully) answers on the Shaltari.

Giving a start to things - Cruisers and Frigate build choices.

Be it if people have got a starting set or the new battle fleets, that means having a block of cruiser and frigate hulls and a huge variety of choices to make. So that starts to beg a few questions

1) What would the ideal cruiser and frigate ship types be to establish a solid starting fleet. Ergo which choices can't you go wrong with and will either regularly appear in fleets and/or provide a strong solid core.

Amber, The amber is your bread and butter cruiser, I have never played a game without at least 1 or more often a pair of them. frigates are your personal choice, but I like taking 2 of the partical lance frigates as active scan toys and poke damage

2) What are you fleet counts for different cruiser/frigate types? This is just a general question to get an idea of what people find popular and what works. IT also gives people a rough idea of what kind of numbers of each type tend to see use - as there are surely some that are good in groups whilst others which tend to only need one or two only ever.

Lots of void gates, several glass. That is pretty much what it boils down to 1 or 2 super big ships, then voidgates taking up the slots not eaten by glass. Shaltari are in a odd, and rather annoying spot. They are REALLY good,
but only when using a particular set up. Amathysts were left behind when glass began to be used and the ammy got nerfed, it was once very good, it is now acceptably meh. Basalt's are good, Shaltari have some of the longest range fighters and bombers in the game and the fighter launch is critical when you go sheilds up.

3) Are there any getting started guides or similar that you'd recommend to read/watch. Not just for gaming, but for building, assembly etc...

Not as so far as I am aware, there are some for PHR floating round, I have found a single one on magnatizing the shaltari https://poisontail.wordpress.com/2017/0 ... -cruisers/ THere's the link. but its very difficult to do in my opinion.

4) How would you expand beyond a starting fleet/battle fleet

Note if any are unaware there are building guides on the official Hawk Website here:
https://www.hawkwargames.com/blogs/down ... ion-guides
There are 10 different types of cruiser and 4 different types of frigate

Starting fleet? Or battle fleet? If you got a starter box, I would grab 2 crusier boxes and a single frigate box. If you got the battle box with 6 and 8 I would buy the 2 battleships to get both varients (unless you are magnatizing) and a BB (its push fit, so don't worry)

My early thoughts on building are:
1) Be very very careful when cutting the models out of the sprue. There's a good few parts held on by very small connection points onto spikes/spines (esp on the frigates). These really need to be very carefully clipped off first before removing any of the bugger sprue parts (as removing bigger parts can cause the parts to jump a little, which can break off fine parts connected on other segments).

2) The plastic sprue is actually pretty thick (probably one of the thickest I've encountered for plastics). This, plus the aspect above, makes me often clip the part far from the join area and then trim the part down and then use a blade (scalpel) to finally remove the sprue. This way you don't jolt the model as your working on removing the part and damage another part; or end up clipping too much off and damaging the model

3) I notice that a LOT of the spine joins on the thicker parts are on the edges of crests that have a corner rather than a flat surface. So these require some careful removing - cutting off the bulk of the sprue then carefully scraping it down so that one can retain the angled edge (these parts really benefit from cutting far back from the join area and then working it down as noted above in point 2).

4) There's a lot of spare parts for the cruisers so there's some ripe material here for some kit-bashing or conversions. I've casually seen one or two using the main hull part for the carrier (the large circle part that isn't a gate), be interesting to see if there's any other good ones out there.

Take the Light cruiser body, Glue the basalt's hanger bay's either side with the spiky end forward (to look like engine nacells) then take the medium cruiser's spike or trim something like it off other spare bits, and stick it in the indent on the top,to look like a control fin, Then take the light cruser's stand holder connection point, and glue it in to the indent in the bottom. WHAM kitbashed glass that doesn't look like a icecream cone and looks like a scifi interceptor.

5) Looking at the join areas there's potential here to use magnets if you want on some of the join areas. A few tiny magnets along the main weapon join arms on the cruisers would be possible (I'm thinking very few, but a good 5 or so magnets - since the base section is not that thick); Frigates you could also affix a magnet to the front and then interchange the different front sections.
Not a must, but its possible.
You will hate your life by the end of it. Not kidding. you will never want to see a magnet again. I tried it. Leave the magnetization to the PHR and UCM.

6) If one gets the battle fleet there's also a resin battleship within. Great details on it, but the resin parts are long and mine certainly require some straightening. Some hot (not boiling) water and patience with careful steady bending is required. If you do this remember that you want to do it in small steps and repeat the warming process over and over again. A series of small changes is better than trying to force it with one big movement (a big movement is more likely to break the resin than change its direction).
I suspect I'll use a thick book or other surface to place atop the wings to help get them as flat as possible. Any tips from anyone who has done this already would be most valuable.

A hairdryer can help. along with the use of a hot towel to stop it cooling fast.

7) On the battleship (another resin cast) there's some straightening needed again (not just the long main gun, but also the crest that curls around the ship - again same resin straightening method as outlined earlier for the battlecruiser). The trickier part here is the join area between the two hull sections; right now it looks like it will be a case of not just cleaning it up, but also some greenstuff to fill in a little bit of a gap. Fiddly but should be doable. I might pin this as well as whilst its resin (so not heavy) its a major join area between the two sections of the ship and the weakest point.

Note - whilst there's a lot of fiddly parts in these ships the battleship (either variation) is one where paint before assembly might be a must have. This is mostly when placing the main weapon (hanger or gun) as that covers over areas that are still visible when the model is assembled (esp the hanger which reveal the fantastic interior detail of ships ready to launch).
One could also place a magnet in the very rear of the hanger area (inside the edge outline and where the rearmost ships are shown) and magnetize both top options. Note whilst this would technically be destroying detail, the very back of the hanger is very shadowed once assembled so its detail you won't miss if its gone in most cases.

You don't even need to magnatize it, If you 'squish' the overarching spine, you can use it as a clip

Personally (having started with a battle fleet) I'm thinking of using the 6 cruisers and 8 frigates to build:
Cruisers - a couple of easy choices in the popular mothership and also the obsidian (because who doesn't want a cruiser with 3 large guns on it!)
2 Emerald Motherships
1 Obsidian Heavy Cruiser

3 spare cruiser hulls to pick choices from
*screams internally* the obsidian was probably your worst choice, If you can make it work good on you.
but I would have advised a jet the issue with the obsidian is that it just doesn't perform as well as any of its other counterparts and suffers from 'front narrow free' syndrome, where all its guns are F(n) and to get full value it needs to go WF.

Frigates: (I figure a functional pair of each of the various types
2 Amethyst
2 Opal
2 Topaz
2 Jade

Personally with the current nerf/buffs that having gone on I would have not built the 2 ammy's and built 4 topaz's to give me a hunter wolf pack.

I've also got a Battleship where I'm not sure which variation to build. I'm half considering magnetizing it, but its such a great model that I know I'll wind up owning two in time so that sort of then begs the question of if anyone would ever field two of the same variation at the same time.
Battleship? I've played a lot of games, but never a high enough points to warrent 2 battleships, I've played games with a BB and a BC on the feild at the same time. However in the Shaltari fleet? Diamond, every time,
all the time, it is THE strongest ship in the game. the huge power of the main gun combined with the very low signature is amazing, the sheilds are just gravy, put 2 opal's with it and they can't be seen and you have a near immortal ship that is likely to take a lot of fire as the enemy try and kill it, leaving the rest of your fleet to go round and do what the shaltari do best. cause problems.

My advice: You will need 3 voidgates per mothership + 2/3/4 (depending on battle size)
Get some glass, they are a terror on the field. Make yourself some amber, 2 of, best cruiser in your fleet.
Do not build the light cruisers, They are aweful, Impell guns just don't function properly, they don't do enough damage, and because they don't group their impell it rarely goes off, and when it does it's underwhelming, and the other light cruiser has the same gun as the emerald for 15 less points, just take another emerald.
Beyond that, I would make yourself a ship with the Ion storm generators. Fantastic ships, your only bombardment tool and a horrifically powerful close action ship.

Return to General Discussion