It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:37 pm

Destroyers!

Tell the world your Dropfleet related trials and tribulations!
  • Author

Lordprinceps

Re: Destroyers!

PostSat Mar 24, 2018 3:48 pm

It's looking to me like all four of the PHR guns are exactly the same, so they're all definitely all 4x medium, or 4x [new gun], or 4x heavy.

I'm thinking they're heavy; the overall size and length is pretty similar, and a full heavy broadside on the front isn't an outrageous idea. Destroyers are supposed to be powerful for their size, so equaling or exceeding (lightly armed, Scourge notwithstanding) light cruisers in firepower is pretty reasonable in my mind. Besides, the PHR really do need some more heavies in their lineup; the Battleships are good but expensive, the Achilles is mediocre for their prices, the Perseus is just a really bad and confused loadout, so having something that's (presumably) cheap and armed with all heavies will help get them into the field. Being all forward arc is also a massive plus.

Dheran

PostSat Mar 24, 2018 5:03 pm

I don't disagree with putting large caliber on destroyers. However, it seems to be a complete overkill to put 4 of them in forward configuration on one destroyer.
I mean it's a heavy cruiser's broadside in a more favourable firing arc (forward/forward+sides for the turret) in a cheaper, faster package. Seems to be too much over the top.

That being said, the weapon barrels do look more like large caliber barrels.

Lordprinceps

PostSat Mar 24, 2018 5:07 pm

It probably is overkill, you're right, but all four of those guns are definitely the same type. If they're not heavies, then I'll bet they're some intermediate version between medium or heavy, or an alternate version too.
I wonder what the optional CAW will be; I doubt neutron missiles, since those technically count as a superweapon, but the UCM have a torpedo destroyer so anything is possible.

Nobody

PostSat Mar 24, 2018 5:19 pm

This one does have more engines than the other Destroyers, so it could be more of a pursuit vessel.

Dheran

PostSat Mar 24, 2018 5:35 pm

Maybe the weapon setup is different than we assumed from the pictures?

I mean engine/CAW + 2 large caliber mass drivers in a turret is kinda good. Same goes for hangar bay + 2 large caliber mass firing forward.

Lordprinceps

PostSat Mar 24, 2018 5:37 pm

I think that's whats been expected; there are four different loadouts for the PHR destroyer.
Gun/Gun
Hangar/Gun
Gun/CAW
Hangar/CAW

Brutoni

PostSat Mar 24, 2018 6:01 pm

I don't think Neutron missiles are unreasonable. UCM have a Torpedo destroyer WITH CAW on top.

Scourge have a Stealth Carrier that also potentially has other weapons.

PHR also don't really have a CAW ship atm. Wouldn't be surprised to see the PHR destroyer fill that role.

Astral Templar

PostSat Mar 24, 2018 9:35 pm

I've seen a lot of discussion on the triad destroyer and what weapon it has. I'm wondering if it's a sensor dome
for pinging targets, especially silent running. I agree that the side parts look like mass drivers.

Just a wild guess though.
"There's a horror movie call Alien!? That's offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you." - The Doctor

Lordprinceps

PostSat Mar 24, 2018 9:54 pm

I really doubt that it's (and hope that it isn't) a bigger Lima; definitely some kind of auxiliary system, though. Maybe it increases the range of a friendly ship(s), or improves friendly lock?

Doktor

PostSun Mar 25, 2018 8:06 am

PHR could easily be 4 heavy railguns! but as 2/3 weapon systems, all with F(N) arc. The „CAW” parts were confirmed to be extra engines.

The fussilade is not needed, as multiple weapon systems also need WF.

And unfortunately I don’t believe there will be any AA destroyer. That was only community wishful thinking.
PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion