It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:44 am

Dreadnoughts

Tell the world your Dropfleet related trials and tribulations!
  • Author

Intruder313

Dreadnoughts

PostSat Mar 31, 2018 8:25 am

Dreadnoughts: what we know so far including the updates from Gen Con 2018.

1. As per their historical influence these are larger and more powerful than Battleships. 'Any of these Dreadnoughts will destroy a Battlship in one salvo if they mean business'.
2. Each Faction has two designs with parts 'in the box' to make either. No way these will fit in Blisters so expect boxes with great art such as the recently revealed Scourge Dreadnought art.
3. Dave Lewis said they will cost about 500 points and there may be a specific rule that allows them to appear in 1,250-point games since that's the de facto standard now.
4. Dreadnoughts to go on sale in August.
>Not yet confirmed and now seems unlikely.
5. Dreadnought Stats are in the new 'Battle for Earth' book due to launch in Q1 2019 (he clarified this would be March or even delayed to April).
6. They have been play-tested a lot and rules might change but they are 'pretty set now'.
Names and Designs:
Note that the DfC background text ('fluff') puts the UCM Dreadnought inventory at '9 Dreadnoughts and 5 Supercarriers'.

UCM
London: '40 Dice of Guns'.
Washington: Launch 15
26 Hull, 2+ Armour
‘Almost nothing re-used from existing models’

PHR
Romulus: Hypernova Laser and 18 Energy Claves per side*
<Unknown but possibly Remus>: Nothing is known about this variant
Unknown Hull but should be >30, 2+ Armour

‘The largest Dreadnought’

The Romulus has an Overcharge mechanic which doubles the damage of energy weapons on Weapons Free: Dave Lewis then described this bringing the broadside up to '16 dice, 3+ Lock, 2 Damage each', but he also said you can 'only fire one of these weapons' so I suspect this means you can't fire the Laser if you are Overcharging the Broadside, you may not even be able to fire both Broadsides in this mode.
*Once again the model has more guns than it can use as Dave said it only rolls 16 dice when it clearly has 18 weapons ☹

Scourge
Nosferatu: 'A whole lot of Oculus Beams'
Cthulhu: 'Three big Lasers on the front'.
26 Hull, 3+ Armour, Stealth and Full Cloak.

‘The longest Dreadnought’ and ‘Fear it’

Shaltari
Uranium: we know it has a huge Impel Cannon mounted centrally. I've counted 12 Large and 12 Medium Guns per side, these are in 4 banks of 3 Large/3 Medium so could be capable of engaging 4-8 targets per side. Overall I could see 48 obvious guns; there may be more on the spine.
>Confirmed to have lots of Maulers ('Close Action Burnthrough'), Microwave Cannon and Disintegrators.
<Unknown but still hoping for Tungsten> Nothing is known about this variant
26 Hull, Signature 12"/36" with 4+ Shields

‘Paint it before you build it!’
Last edited by Intruder313 on Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:41 pm, edited 10 times in total.

BlackLegion

Re: Dreadnoughts

PostSat Mar 31, 2018 8:38 am

Oh that is interesting.
But changing how armor works in general is a BIG change.

_ghost_

PostSat Mar 31, 2018 6:59 pm

I'm wondering if I am the only one that has lots of broken stems in mind...

Lorn

Hawk Talon

PostSat Mar 31, 2018 11:11 pm

I hope they do either an open beta or better internal testing for the DFC rule revamps even if it is "only" armour. The Centurion situation has shown that they are a bit uncertain to their approach to the system.

I am willing to give them that they, like Hawk are willing to change things but do a more extreme degree which is good if the issue is serious but can be terrible in case of hatehypes (looking at Shaltari or my beloved Overseer). Though I don´t know if they are as willing to quickly change printed rules as pdf ones.

German space magic for PHR would you like to know more?
http://www.hawkforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=7017

German space magic for all and this time it is in Space!
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=10506

abakus

PostMon Apr 02, 2018 3:39 pm

Lorn wrote:I hope they do either an open beta or better internal testing for the DFC rule revamps even if it is "only" armour. The Centurion situation has shown that they are a bit uncertain to their approach to the system.

This makes it sound like Dave isn't writing the rules anymore. I thought he was still head designer for the acquired Hawk properties, even if he's sort of working for TTC. Has this changed? Is he off the team?

Dheran

PostMon Apr 02, 2018 4:53 pm

Nope. He is designing ships 24/7 in a design gulag (hence head designer).
Afaik large part of the rules were written by Andy Chambers and he said that he is doing the destroyers right now.
Also rules in a game set can evolve based on accumulated data. Maybe they noticed there s an issue with high armour values?

Intruder313

PostMon Apr 02, 2018 9:56 pm

Andy Chambers wrote the original rules, Dave did the story, models and probably the very basics of the games.

Brutoni

PostMon Apr 02, 2018 10:19 pm

Dheran wrote:Nope. He is designing ships 24/7 in a design gulag (hence head designer).
Afaik large part of the rules were written by Andy Chambers and he said that he is doing the destroyers right now.
Also rules in a game set can evolve based on accumulated data. Maybe they noticed there s an issue with high armour values?

Issue with high armour values? How so? Dropfleet commander is increasingly a "point and kill" game with "resilience" or "plinker" designs very rapidly becoming shelved for the Alpha designs.

Gauntlet

PostTue Apr 03, 2018 2:36 am

The complete lack of durability of ships, I find to be a turn off. Its not that players can't take having their fleet decimated, or even halved in a game... but when BOTH sides tend to end a game with 75% of their fleets wiped out... no matter the point score, things seem a bit... Pyrrhic. It also does little for one's imagination... hard to care about your ship's actions when you know exactly how fragile they are.

Furthermore, the HP of ships is a misleading stat, in many cases, you might as well imagine it being thirded or halved, because of the crippling chart.

A 2+ armor save is going to do very little to changing this nature of the game, and as such? So what?

The crippling chart is cumbersome and a bit too murderous. Reducing that, and spreading the "Reinforced" trait to a good deal of ships (Heavy Cruisers, Battleships, Dreadnoughts, I'd skip Battlecruisers for thematic reasons) would do well for this game... focusing the points on CL in orbit a bit more, will also create a additional need and value for staying power in our fleets.

Currently though, you should generally spam glass cannons and strike carriers and just ignore the sheer insane callousness of war in orbit lol.

Lordprinceps

PostTue Apr 03, 2018 4:38 am

I agree with Gauntlet; the general idea of the crippling table is good, but there's just too much damage scattered about on it. It pretty much makes frigates only have effectively 2 hull, since crippling damage will finish them off 2/3 of the time anyways.

While I do like the wide variety of effects that crippling causes, it can definitely use some work. Personally, I'd put forward the following system:

When a ship is crippled, roll 1d6
1-2: it suffers one system failure
3-4: it suffers one system failure and extra damage
5-6: it suffers two system failures and extra damage

If a ship would suffer a system failure, roll 1d6
1: the ship gains a minor spike
2: the ship's scan is reduced to 1
3: the ship's armor is increased by +2
4: the ships' thrust is reduced by half, rounded up
5: the ship's weapons are disabled until the end of its next activation
6: the ship becomes subject to orbital decay

If a ship would suffer extra damage, roll 1d3 to determine how much damage it takes. This damage cannot be saved against.

Pretty much all of the crippling effects are preserved (with the potential to have multiple from a single crippling), while the average damage from crippling is brought down from ~1.75 or so (including the recursion from reactor overload) to only 1.33. There's still the potential for a frigate to go critical, but it's nowhere near as assured as it was before.
Next

Return to General Discussion