It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:16 am

Attack rolls simulator

Tell the world your Dropfleet related trials and tribulations!
  • Author

dread2005

Hawk Talon

Re: Attack rolls simulator

PostThu Jul 12, 2018 1:42 pm

well overall at 100% the BTL does more than 1 damage at 23% and MD at 38% with a armor 4+ (not counting shilds) if i can trust this simulator

but its well known that the BTL is a gambler weapon so zero damage is as often you get 5+ damage

i always look at the 0 Damage as well, and BTL has a chance of 15 % to do 0 damage, MassDriver 6 only 2%

it could be that overall the BTL may do more damage, but i bet in a long run it does lesser damage
Quote: " nothing is ever easy " by zedicus zul zorrander

Dropfleet ADMIRAL may Mankind conquer the universe
UCM ~2500 Points, PHR ~2000 Points

Dropzone GENERAL revenge of Mankind
PHR 2000 Points, UCM 3500 Points

Lorn

Hawk Talon

PostThu Jul 12, 2018 6:42 pm

dread2005 wrote:it could be that overall the BTL may do more damage, but i bet in a long run it does lesser damage

I fail to understand this, what long run are you referring to? Not averages because they are the long run. I fail to see what point you are trying to make.

You state correctly that the BTL has a higher chance for 0 damage, even if we compare the Cobra with the "normal" 4 shot UF-6400 Massdrivers. Yet in terms of damage your assessment is not backed up by numbers, "in the long run" the BTL always win against comparable Massdrivers. To be precise they deal 42,5% more damage on average at 4+ armour then Massdrivers and 52,2% against 3+ Armour targets.

BTL are however are affected way stronger by modifiers to their to hit value then "normal" weapons. The secret to their dominance in raw damage lies in their high number of crits everything that either let´s that number drop significantly or affects crits negatively affects them stronger as well.

I cannot repeat it often enough apparently if you are looking for raw damage there is no debate between BTL and Massdrivers unless the Massdrivers are one "weight class" higher. And even then it is a close call as we saw. There are other factors which work in favour of Massdrivers (not enough for UCM ones in my opinion) as stated above.

German space magic for PHR would you like to know more?
http://www.hawkforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=7017

German space magic for all and this time it is in Space!
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=10506

wundergoat

PostThu Jul 12, 2018 7:59 pm

It is also worth mentioning that fixating on damage can lead you into a logic trap. Damage is a means to an end, not the goal. The goal is removing opposing ships from the board, and in that respect many times 1 point of chip damage is nearly as useless as doing 0 damage; if you don’t cripple or kill the target, it fights at full efficiency. This is another advantage of BTLs: they are MUCH more likely to single handedly cripple a cruiser than standard gun batteries.

dread2005

Hawk Talon

PostTue Jul 17, 2018 3:20 pm

@Sachiel

i like your "Simulator", will this Tool be completed by all Weapon Profiles an the Special rules?

like Scald?

are you going to implement shalatri Schilds?

keep it up

maybe a addon for or into dflist? lol would be cool, the design is similar too
Quote: " nothing is ever easy " by zedicus zul zorrander

Dropfleet ADMIRAL may Mankind conquer the universe
UCM ~2500 Points, PHR ~2000 Points

Dropzone GENERAL revenge of Mankind
PHR 2000 Points, UCM 3500 Points
Previous

Return to General Discussion