It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 6:40 am

Homebrew Resistance Fleet

Tell the world your Dropfleet related trials and tribulations!
  • Author

Achiles625

Re: Homebrew Resistance Fleet

PostWed May 03, 2017 2:10 am

I don't see why this same argument wouldn't apply to space borne fleets of pirates and nomads harrying the Scourge from remote/hidden bases. Why wouldn't there be pirates and aggressive salvagers picking at the edges of everyone, in fact?

Gadgetron

PostWed May 03, 2017 10:09 am

Terry Perdue wrote:It would be interesting if the UCM makes contact with a coalition of races that have survived the Scourge invasions and are chasing them down. The Lizard race, even the Razorworms, which in their natural state might not even be violent.

I like this idea, it would be a cool way to add some visual variation to UCM fleets.

Achiles625

PostWed May 03, 2017 2:31 pm

Gadgetron wrote:
Terry Perdue wrote:It would be interesting if the UCM makes contact with a coalition of races that have survived the Scourge invasions and are chasing them down. The Lizard race, even the Razorworms, which in their natural state might not even be violent.

I like this idea, it would be a cool way to add some visual variation to UCM fleets.

I'd prefer to see it as its own fleet. Like a league of minor powers. They could be survivors joined together to fight the Scourge and maintain their last redoubts. It would be a fleet of many different styles of ships, very cool.

panzer415

PostTue May 09, 2017 12:38 pm

Achiles625 wrote:
Gadgetron wrote:

I'd prefer to see it as its own fleet. Like a league of minor powers. They could be survivors joined together to fight the Scourge and maintain their last redoubts. It would be a fleet of many different styles of ships, very cool.

Like the above idea plus couple of rationales for resistance fleets do easily come to mind:

1) The white sphere gave a warning of impending doom. Though only a year it is possible various Governments / corporation who did not necessarily believe it, decided to plan on the safe side, maybe already using assets for new ships equipment etc.
If so they may have decided to increase public panic by hiding such projects at non core world sites, moons etc off the beaten track away from prying eyes. These bases would have been untouched in the invasion and possible rally points in case of things (as they did ) going tits up. Reasonably well equipped and probably in construction with construction crews on them at time of invasion, They would though have been cot off from the outer colonies when jump nodes were cut.
Initially survival would have been the main concern, but as the years went on they may begun raiding.

2) It does mention in the background When the nodes were cut, escaping ships were left stranded. It is assumed they either perished or where captured in the scourge roundup. Some may have decided to make wild jumps ala pre nodes.
Maybe a few made it to a safish haven and like the UCM have begun to rebuild.
They wouldn't have grown the way the UCM did but may be out there and and may have made contact with the alien survivors from earlier scourge invasions.

3) Warships on long range missions patrols and not with the fleet , Explorer ship as in Babylon 5 etc.
Nobody sends their whole fleet even to bring back the exodus ships, many would not have been able to get there in time if on the edges etc. As with the above 2, they would have been cut off from the outer colonies and may have used either 1 or 2 options.

It was always a Battletech thing that your merc unit was a survivor of the Star league when their exodus happened, though lets avoid the clans(technically the PHR)

In addition most of the major warships of the pre-invasion where destroyed during the invasion, but any that where not have been involved for any of above reasons may have had new tech that those that made it to the UCM had, so may not have super tech, but different weapon systems that were experimental at time and never reached the colonies.

Achiles625

PostTue May 09, 2017 3:18 pm

I totally agree panzer. I think that you laid out the case very well. As for why the rovers might be assaulting planets, well to grab some booty of course! I mean they don't have to be launching major planetary invasions. Think about it; in the fluff they describe hundreds of ships and millions of soldiers battling it out above and on the cradle worlds. Yet, even in a 3000pt game you're not likely to see more than a few dozen vessels. We are not representing entire theaters of war, but in fact are playing out only individual battles or operations within large conflicts.

Imagine it; perhaps the Scourge and UCM flights are fighting a massive battle consisting of hundreds of ships over one of the cradle worldss. A small rover fleet of a few dozen vessels detects the battle from deep space, and seeing an opportunity, jumps in for a quick raid. They strike at the flank of the UCM or Scourge fleet. A quick, hectic face off ensues between the incoming rover force and the flanking ships of the larger enemy fleet. Ships are crippled, raiders pour onto the surface and, possibly in coordination with allied resistance forces, seize several sectors. Once the space is secured the area is stripped of all valuables, long term raiding parties go to ground, wrecks are quickly towed and salvaged, and the fleet breaks for deep space to their remote, hidden base.

Since the beginning of warfare, small powers and disparate groups how thrived at the fringes and upon the leavings of the conflicts of other powers. It seems to me that certainly such a group could endure the Scourge invasion. Perhaps until now they have been keeping a low profile, only assaulting remote outposts and isolated convoys before. With the chaos created by the reconquest they can strike more boldly and aggressively and, much like the resistance, rovers would only now be bringing to bear now their most advanced weaponry that they have carefully stockpiled so far. I can imagine colonies of rovers living on habitats and asteroids around dim stars, cut off from the outer colonies and hiding from the Scourge. Such remote outposts would barely be worth the time of the Scourge to hunt down and take while they are busy subduing populations numbering in the billions on more than a dozen worlds

As for old hulls, I was mainly imagining that these were salvaged wrecks from the invasion. That, or new vessels built on old patterns at remote, ramshackle shipyards. Other than the Diviner EW frigate, I tried to avoid giving the rovers much original tech. The only experimental weapon that I really came up with was the spinal mounted mass driver cannons.

I would like to see an example ship of some original tech that you had thought up. I would love to see people post their own ideas of ships that might be present in a rover fleet! The more ideas the better.

panzer415

PostWed May 10, 2017 12:42 pm

Hadn't really thought of what weapons could be, but the base idea funnily enough came from an Old 'Dan Dare' story from the Eagle, when the Mekon conquers Earth , two Space fleet experimental ships had escaped the general destruction as they had been at a secret research base.
Also Babylon 5 'Call to Arms' film with the introduction of totally new tech in the Victory and Excalibur.
In both cases the research base was destroyed and all the tech notes lost, so the only way to rebuild them would be a very heavy reverse engineering project which would put the ships out of use, unlikely when survival is the most important factor

The sky really is the limit with what you could come up with it, but it cant be a doomsday device otherwise it would have been used.
Though if you look at the old military tech used by the Resistance, much of its as good if not better than UCM/PHR tech but is overly complicated and hard to maintain, discarded by both for that reason, So you could go for really killer wpn systems that are likely to fail.

Achiles625

PostWed May 10, 2017 1:32 pm

Actually a lightning cannon sounds really cool. I could imagine the EAA building a test bed ship for that based off of Shaltari designs. It might make a cool second heavy cruiser option!

Hey what do you guys think of the EW frigate, the Diviner, that I created? Is it useful? Should it not be rare? Should the Comms Array weapon be close action or not? Also, do you guys think that the mass driver cannon on the Nobunaga and the Timur is balanced, or not? I'm enjoying the back and forth here!

panzer415

PostWed May 10, 2017 3:07 pm

Couple of wpns from the 'lost Fleet' books by Jack Cambell come to mind:

One a high tech experimental type
1) The particle lance, in the above, you had to get in close, but if it hits, it literally tears your ships molecules apart,
Broadside only from the way it appears to read only in books, close but ignores armour and point defence

An low tech for scavengers etc

2) Grapeshot, basically were gun barrels firing ball bearings, which given ship speeds could be lethal and shread ships, at close range again. would ignore point defence.

There was also Hellboars, cant remember how they work, but were close to Scorge plasma weaponry as well as I remember.

Previous

Return to General Discussion