It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 1:52 pm

The Tokyo Drift Maneuver

Tell the world your Dropfleet related trials and tribulations!
  • Author

Major Awesome

The Tokyo Drift Maneuver

PostTue May 02, 2017 11:06 pm

Hello awesome forumites!

I wanted to share a tactic I used to awesome success at a recent local tournament, with my brand new PHR fleet: The Tokyo Drift Maneuver (I'll also accept the Major Awesome Maneuver).

The relevant bits of the 1500 point list were a Flag group with a Minos, and two Line groups each with 2Orion/2Calypso.

Turn 1: Max Thrust to get up the board.
Turn 2: Give a Course Change order, turning 45 degrees at the end of the move so that the Broadside is barely, but legitimately, lined up with something DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF YOU. Shoot. Profit. (Note, Minos may need another turn of Max Thrust)
Turn 3: Give another Course Change order, turning at the start of the move to return to forward movement, then turn again at the end of the move to line up a Broadside, again, directly forward if needed.
Turn 4: Likely another Course Change order and end the move with targets in multiple broadsides.

Essentially what this does is render the nose gun of the Orion completely superfluous, meaningless, because why bother with 2 shots on 4s when you can throw out 8 shots on 4s. This may "fix" PHR Broadside fleets, as I felt like I had all the firepower I ever needed out of my Orion pairs and it wasn't delayed by waiting for Bombers. A Minos doing the Tokyo Drift (Major Awesome Maneuver...) is a truly amazing beast once it gets in range as it's using a heavy caliber broadside, CAW neutron missiles, and 2 torpedoes.

The Calypso are rather important for this maneuver because of the incredible amount of protection they offer. While the cruiser/battleship is Course Changing and gaining spikes (oh no...), the Calypso takes a standard order and sails along with minimal sig. It helps ensure that the Orion get into the thick of things.

At our tournament I landed in second place and this was my first ever time playing PHR. I attribute my performance to A) me being awesome
B) The Tokyo Drift Maneuver (Major Awesome Maneuver) letting my Orion pairs pump out 16 dice on 4+ MINIMUM... because when I got in range of multiple targets the pair put out 32 dice per turn!
C) Echo being way too good
D) Calypso being probably too good- maybe they need to not stack now that it's working on a group of enemy weapons

Threat ranges for the Orion pairs, straight up the table: Turn 2 you can shoot something in a straight line from your board edge at the 32" line not counting enemy sig/spike. Turn 3 you can hit something at the 40" line not counting enemy sig/spike.

Some of you may recall I've been down on Course Change and I still am. I don't actually think this maneuver (Tokyo Drift) is good for the game. The idea of my cruisers (and battleship!) Tokyo Drifting toward the enemy shooting broadside weaponry directly forward on the approach is like nails on a chalkboard for my inner fluffbunny. But I decided to try it and see if I could break it... we'll see...

Try the Tokyo Drift Maneuver (Major Awesome Maneuver...) and let me know what you think.

Finally, here's a pic from the tournament, after turn 1 round 1. I call it "The Pain Train Cometh."
The Pain Train Cometh.jpg
The Pain Train Cometh.jpg (96.59 KiB) Viewed 496 times
~Major Awesome~
Hedgehog schemer, Resistance lover, and on those random full moons when PHR aren't everywhere my true nature as cyborg comes out.

Klarg1

Re: The Tokyo Drift Maneuver

PostWed May 03, 2017 2:23 am

Points off for Tokyo drifting without a Tokyo class ship. :lol:

I'll accept "Awesome Maneuver". I don't have my book handy, but doesn't course change give you a spike? If yes, that would at least be a minor draw back.
Forsan et haec olim pinxisse iuvabit

I maintain a Miniatures Blog, full of detailed WIPs and random miniatures-ramblings.You can read it here: http://blindmetalminis.blogspot.com

Nicius

PostWed May 03, 2017 5:05 am

it does, but the Calypso's offset the spikes by increasing the enemies lock values for these groups.

shuul

PostWed May 03, 2017 6:28 am

It was an obvious tactic for PHR ships from start, what is new about it?

EDIT: also, calypso buff is fine as it is, once enemy starts to focus fire your Orions they are pretty screwed (remember, calypso can use ECM only once per turn). It also becomes less useful as game points grow and enemy have more combat groups.
Last edited by shuul on Wed May 03, 2017 6:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

dread2005

Hawk Talon

PostWed May 03, 2017 6:30 am

Well a never ending story is it... all complaining that Phr durability is to weak and broadside damage again to weak!

Now that some of use lernt to play them correctly, and got a buff making them tanking enemy damage it goes reverse... well ill take it a laugh!

I was always fine with broadsides and even more with curse change... and well maybe increase the points of calypso but i would keep the mechanic as it is in DZC. Byside you can only use them once a turn and not against bombers so it should help overcome them. Nice write up sounds cool

In in fluff therms i see cinematics of all kind of sapce ships manouvering in best shooting positions... everything else would be nonsense so keep this tactic up i like it
Quote: " nothing is ever easy " by zedicus zul zorrander

Dropfleet ADMIRAL may Mankind conquer the universe
UCM ~2500 Points, PHR ~2000 Points

Dropzone GENERAL revenge of Mankind
PHR 2000 Points, UCM 3500 Points

Shadow Broker

PostWed May 03, 2017 7:32 am

There should be extra rules to play the game with vector movement (whats the name of that very famous and old space combat tabletop game again?).
That way you can simply drift sideways with PHR ships towards the enemies, like no fucks given :D

What is the racio of the different ship classes, especially light and heavy/super-heavy on tournaments? With the experimental rules, wouldn't a Perseus and / or the light-cruiser-I-totally-forgot-the-name-of be a better choice than the Orion?

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostWed May 03, 2017 7:52 am

shuul wrote:It was an obvious tactic for PHR ships from start, what is new about it?

If it was so obvious, why has everyone and his brother been bitching about PHR broadsides since Day 1? ;)

shuul wrote:EDIT: also, calypso buff is fine as it is, once enemy starts to focus fire your Orions they are pretty screwed (remember, calypso can use ECM only once per turn). It also becomes less useful as game points grow and enemy have more combat groups.

This was a 1,500 point tournament, and still pretty useful, I'd say. How far do the game points need to grow to for it to become ineffective, do you reckon? :P
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

shuul

PostWed May 03, 2017 8:13 am

J.D. Welch wrote:If it was so obvious, why has everyone and his brother been bitching about PHR broadsides since Day 1? ;)

Well, its theirs problem :D I was totally fine with PHR firepower (after experimental rules).

J.D. Welch wrote:
This was a 1,500 point tournament, and still pretty useful, I'd say. How far do the game points need to grow to for it to become ineffective, do you reckon? :P

Well yeah, but still, my opponents usually focus heavy fire on calypsos, or do split fire to main target AND calypso, so you cant really influence all the shots from the enemy group. And calypso dies fast if hit, especially with Scourge bombers as addition.
And currently the real killer of Calypsos in my games are Djinns/Amethysts.

Kelbesq

PostWed May 03, 2017 2:00 pm

Shadow Broker wrote:That way you can simply drift sideways with PHR ships towards the enemies, like no fucks given :D

You mean like real physics actually works outside of atmosphere?

Shadow Broker

PostWed May 03, 2017 7:32 pm

Yes.
The game is called "Full Thrust" and the vector rules are in the "Fleetbook 1". They should be available on the internet for free (legally).

To sum the up shortly:
Every ship has a thrust rating ("main drive" -> MD), which is the maximum velocity a ship can change its speed per turn (in inch). Half of that value is the ships maneuvering thrust ("Thrusters"). For one thrusters point you can rotate the ship for 30° or move it 1" in any direction (left, side, backwards) without changing the ships rotation. They are separate "pools", so if you have a thrust rating of 10, than you have a thrusters value of 5 and you can both, increase your thrust by 10" and rotate up to 5x30°.

The main thrust is of course only applied along the ships length axis ("forward"), because the main thrusters are facing backwards.

In Full Thrust both players write down all ships movement secretly at the same time and therefore the ships are moved at the same time.
Because ships stays at their previous velocity, before you move them according to your orders, they are moved at the velocity and in the direction they ended their last movement.

For example:
Your ship starts with velocity 0" and has a thrust rating of 10.
Your orders are:
MD 5 ; TP 3 ; MD 5
This means
Main Drive 5, so you move the ship 5" forward.
Turn Port 3 points, so you turn the ship to port 90°.
Main drive 5, so you move the ship 5" forward again.

Before you move the ship the first time, you mark your original location.
The end velocity is now the distance between the start and the ships end position (after the second MD 5 order).
The ships movement direction (not the ships actually facing!) is that direction.

With that rules you can do some crazy maneuvers that give you as much headaches as you want and because everyone moves at the same time its basically guaranteed that your calculations about the enemies new positions, relative to your ships new position after moving, will not be always correct :D
Next

Return to General Discussion