It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 6:35 am

The Tokyo Drift Maneuver

Tell the world your Dropfleet related trials and tribulations!
  • Author

Major Awesome

Re: The Tokyo Drift Maneuver

PostThu May 04, 2017 4:51 am

Shadow Broker wrote:Yes.
The game is called "Full Thrust" and the vector rules are in the "Fleetbook 1". (then a whole bunch of awesome stuff)

HOLY CRAP that sounds AWESOME. I don't necessarily think Dropfleet needs to get that detailed, but wow, kudos to those guys for taking vectored movement to the extreme.

Regarding the other posts: I don't know if the Calypso are necessarily all that vulnerable. Once past the initial turn of Max Thrust they don't need to take a spike. Therefore the enemy has a very well-lit target in the Orions, but a harder time getting the Calypsos in range. It seemed to work out well for me, and there is a whole rest of the list for their Djinn and Amethysts and such to go after anyways (Echos, strike carriers, bulk lander, and whatnot). Furthermore, lets say they do hit the Calypsos with their frigate hunting pack, that's still another turn for the Orions to live and in a sense the Calypsos are still defending their buddies by taking the heat. 5 hull frigates with 3+ armor and the ECM bonus is pretty darn resilient.

I personally like the Orion class cruiser because for me it sits at a sweet spot of good hull, good armor, alright speed, decent points. If you go heavier than the Orion you lose out of speed and it costs a lot more. If you go cheaper than the Orion you lose out on hull... or armor... or something... no rulebook handy at the moment, but you'd certainly gain speed. It's all personal preference, but the Tokyo Drift Maneuver (Major Awesome Maneuver...) would certainly work with Theseus or Achilles or whatever your broadside cruiser-of-choice is.

shuul wrote:It was an obvious tactic for PHR ships from start, what is new about it?

My bad, never saw anyone post about it before... here, PHR tactics section, or Facebook. Love to look at that discussion if you can point me in that direction, because it was a new tactic in our meta.
~Major Awesome~
Hedgehog schemer, Resistance lover, and on those random full moons when PHR aren't everywhere my true nature as cyborg comes out.

Major Awesome

PostThu May 04, 2017 5:11 am

Ohh, I just had a thought. I do believe Calypso are a bit too good in their current whole-group, stacking, version after using them myself. So what if they gained a minor spike when using their ECM? That way they may take more fire and the enemy could "bait" them into blowing their load early, gaining a spike, and becoming vulnerable to a wider range of return fire.

Same could be applied to the Opal when it gives a reroll- add a spike.
~Major Awesome~
Hedgehog schemer, Resistance lover, and on those random full moons when PHR aren't everywhere my true nature as cyborg comes out.

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostThu May 04, 2017 6:55 am

Major Awesome wrote:Ohh, I just had a thought. I do believe Calypso are a bit too good in their current whole-group, stacking, version after using them myself. So what if they gained a minor spike when using their ECM? That way they may take more fire and the enemy could "bait" them into blowing their load early, gaining a spike, and becoming vulnerable to a wider range of return fire.

I like this (for both ships)^...
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

dread2005

Hawk Talon

PostThu May 04, 2017 7:37 am

J.D. Welch wrote:
Major Awesome wrote:Ohh, I just had a thought. I do believe Calypso are a bit too good in their current whole-group, stacking, version after using them myself. So what if they gained a minor spike when using their ECM? That way they may take more fire and the enemy could "bait" them into blowing their load early, gaining a spike, and becoming vulnerable to a wider range of return fire.

I like this (for both ships)^...

makes tracking of the use of the "1x use a turn ability" maybe easier
Quote: " nothing is ever easy " by zedicus zul zorrander

Dropfleet ADMIRAL may Mankind conquer the universe
UCM ~2500 Points, PHR ~2000 Points

Dropzone GENERAL revenge of Mankind
PHR 2000 Points, UCM 3500 Points

shuul

PostThu May 04, 2017 10:02 am

Major Awesome wrote:
shuul wrote:It was an obvious tactic for PHR ships from start, what is new about it?

My bad, never saw anyone post about it before... here, PHR tactics section, or Facebook. Love to look at that discussion if you can point me in that direction, because it was a new tactic in our meta.

Sorry, it was just not discussed here or facebook. Im the only PHR player in my group and used this tactic from the start, I thought that it is really obvious :P
"If there is a special order that can be used to turn at the end of movement then it was made for broad-side ships" - I thought.

Im totally for this. Will fix both problems with Calypso and Opal while not directly nerfing their abilities.

Stompzilla

PostThu May 04, 2017 11:32 am

What was the list Major? I want to give its downfall some thought.

Tychonaut

PostThu May 04, 2017 2:43 pm

You could do this, or just take the ships with Burnthrough, joust with their heavy assets in the opening exchange, and use the Light Callibre weapons batteries to spam lots of dice at the Frigates and Corvettes they have left?

No need to turn then, and your playing to PHR's strengths.

Major Awesome

PostThu May 04, 2017 4:30 pm

Tychonaut wrote:You could do this, or just take the ships with Burnthrough, joust with their heavy assets in the opening exchange, and use the Light Callibre weapons batteries to spam lots of dice at the Frigates and Corvettes they have left?

No need to turn then, and your playing to PHR's strengths.

I don't think the burnthroughs are a strength of PHR at all, that's the domain of UCM. PHR strength (and curse?) is side-arc firepower when you get multiple targets in arcs. The tactic presented here is to minimize the reliance on weak forward-facing shooting by bringing those side-arcs to bear AS forward-facing weapons. I love the Bellerophon but it's not viable as the whole of your space-based shooting. 3 BTLs is great, but UCM get that without even trying hard. When players in my area are serious about BTLs it's not uncommon to see UCM with 9-10 BTLs in a list. That hurts.

Stompzilla wrote:What was the list Major? I want to give its downfall some thought.

--------------------------------------
PHR: The Blackfleet - 1494pts
PHR - 2 launch assets

SR15 Flag battlegroup (285pts)
1 x Minos - 285pts - S
+ Fleet Vizier (20pts, 2AV)

SR12 Line battlegroup (288pts)
2 x Orion - 214pts - M
2 x Calypso - 74pts - L

SR12 Line battlegroup (288pts)
2 x Orion - 214pts - M
2 x Calypso - 74pts - L

SR8 Line battlegroup (247pts)
1 x Orpheus - 130pts - M
2 x Medea - 78pts - L
1 x Medea - 39pts - L

SR4 Pathfinder battlegroup (156pts)
2 x Medea - 78pts - L
2 x Medea - 78pts - L

SR7 Pathfinder battlegroup (210pts)
3 x Echo - 90pts - L
3 x Echo - 90pts - L
1 x Echo - 30pts - L------------- dflist.com -------------

If I were to re-do the list after having played a few games with PHR now, I would probably drop the Orpheus and take more Medea. They were pretty darn resilient, even against Nickar/Glass shooting at them. Maybe I'm just too used to having Voidgates that implode when someone sneezes at them, or New Orleans that like to go nuclear when they take 2 damage.

The Echo were MVPs in my game against Shaltari, helped me own half the board against another PHR list, then in my game against Scourge an SR6 Djinn pack got the jump on them and erased them all. This hurt a lot and I really felt the hole it left in my list because I was counting on them to even up the troop game.

Against Shaltari the Echo did amazing work. Deployed along the left side to cover a few clusters they got the jump on a Glass/Gate group and had a 1-1 kill ratio. Moved up 23" turn one (because he had something that could have threatened them if they were at the 24" line, forget what... yeah, I'm an a-hole sometimes). Turn 2 comes around and 4 Gates and 3 Glass instantly disappeared first activation of turn 2. This spooked the Shaltari player as that was about a third of his gates. I "casually" mention how they have that mean turret (for a corvette) that could swing around and threaten motherships Turn 3 now that this side was under control... and he raises shields on his motherships (I tried not to twirl my mustache like an evil villain... helps that I don't have a mustache). Orions came on the board Tokyo Drifting and start putting shots downrange on the motherships because of the crazy high sig.
~Major Awesome~

Tychonaut

PostFri May 05, 2017 11:43 am

Major Awesome wrote:
I don't think the burnthroughs are a strength of PHR at all, that's the domain of UCM. PHR strength (and curse?) is side-arc firepower when you get multiple targets in arcs. The tactic presented here is to minimize the reliance on weak forward-facing shooting by bringing those side-arcs to bear AS forward-facing weapons. I love the Bellerophon but it's not viable as the whole of your space-based shooting. 3 BTLs is great, but UCM get that without even trying hard. When players in my area are serious about BTLs it's not uncommon to see UCM with 9-10 BTLs in a list. That hurts.

You misread me.. The Burnthrough isn't our strength, it's the correct use of our combined arms approach.
Because the ships with Burnthrough weapons tend to also have the Light Callibre Broadsides, it's smart to use the Burnthrough on the larger targets as you jockey for position, to bring your broadsides to bear on the smaller ships.

As for my 999 list, I manage to get 8 Burnthrough without trying very hard.
Admittedly the PHR ones aren't as good as the UCM, but in these numbers they pack a punch.

Bellerophon
3x Pandora

2x Ajax

Orpheus
2x Medea

Orpheus
2x Medea

dread2005

Hawk Talon

PostFri May 05, 2017 12:51 pm

if i would adapt the tokyo drift... i would try this :lol: