It is currently Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:41 am

House Rules

Tell the world your Dropfleet related trials and tribulations!
  • Author

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

House Rules

PostFri May 05, 2017 4:58 pm

I've seen a few people around Facebook posting some ideas they have for their local games. I'm wondering if many of you have your own house rules in place?

I've heard of people putting caps on Strike Carriers/Troopships to force their games to be more space oriented. There are about 3 different versions of home brew ground combat I've seen too (including the removal/pendulum method).

My local group in Calgary has taken to measuring to Clusters instead of Sectors. Everything else in the game is a dot point on the table except for Sectors which is kindda odd. When targeting a Sector you have to be in range of the Cluster point and simply declaring which one you are targeting. I think range wise this only effects UCM in a couple scenarios with all other factions Strike Carriers either still reaching points without Max Thrust or in PHR case still requiring it.

Lyraeus

Hawk Talon

Re: House Rules

PostFri May 05, 2017 5:39 pm

Measuring to Cluster favors Scourge and Shaltari strike carriers/voidgates becuase they can get the 21" needed to hit that centerline cluster while for PHR and UCM they can't unless you max thrust.
Remember to check my Blog out at http://thehotlz.blogspot.com/

If you are on Facebook check out my Page https://www.facebook.com/thehotlz/ where I post all my articles videos, and do contests and events!

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

PostFri May 05, 2017 5:56 pm

Lyraeus wrote:Measuring to Cluster favors Scourge and Shaltari strike carriers/voidgates becuase they can get the 21" needed to hit that centerline cluster while for PHR and UCM they can't unless you max thrust.

It does but we found people doing max thrust most 1st turns anyway because debris making strait lines tough or impossible sometimes. Given the small sig of strike carriers it won't matter to most fleets targetting them since they only max thrust the minmum needed to get in range. Most strike carrier hunter groups seem to be CAW which don't care about the sig anyway. I suppose an Echo would gain the most out of this but then the PHR player has to max thrust too. I'm the only one around here using non CAW for when I feel like playing the strike carrier hunting game and then I can spike things anyway (if all I needed was one spike to hit you it makes no difference other than sometime one frigate on my side is now lit up from active scanning). We have a good mix of factions here and have been playing like this for over a month with no issues or complaints.

It also prevents one player from getting an advantage from how clusters are set up. Some of them give one side an extra military sector (Power Grab) or industrial sector (Take and Hold, Erupting Battlefront) just for being on the right side of the table. This makes it even for everyone. I can't remember the measurements but for the small clusters on the centre line I'm pretty sure they a half an inch (or less even) short for UCM/PHR to hit turn 2 without max thrust as well. It also eliminates the telegraphing of where strike carriers need to go for UCM and PHR since say in Mixed Engagement they cannot reach both military sectors so are forced to attack one flank if they want to get one without spike while Scoruge and Shaltari can pick and choose, this allows the Scourge/Shaltari player to plan their corvette attacks a little easier. So yes there are some negatives for UCM and PHR I think the positives far outweight them with this house rule.

W0lfBane

PostFri May 05, 2017 11:21 pm

Wait what? I thought measuring to the cluster was the rules. Am i going crazy?

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

PostFri May 05, 2017 11:38 pm

W0lfBane wrote:Wait what? I thought measuring to the cluster was the rules. Am i going crazy?

You are. Pg 55, if you need to be in range of a Sector measure to the edge of it. Dropships target Sectors not Clusters so measure to the edge of the Sector.

BlackLegion

PostFri May 05, 2017 11:44 pm

That's actually the reason why the sectors are placed in the specific spots shown on the scenario maps.

Lyraeus

Hawk Talon

PostSat May 06, 2017 1:06 am

Cry of the Wind wrote: This makes it even for everyone. I can't remember the measurements but for the small clusters on the centre line I'm pretty sure they a half an inch (or less even) short for UCM/PHR to hit turn 2 without max thrust as well. It also eliminates the telegraphing of where strike carriers need to go for UCM and PHR since say in Mixed Engagement they cannot reach both military sectors so are forced to attack one flank if they want to get one without spike while Scoruge and Shaltari can pick and choose, this allows the Scourge/Shaltari player to plan their corvette attacks a little easier. So yes there are some negatives for UCM and PHR I think the positives far outweight them with this house rule.

If you are going for the center maybe, but the 6" rule prevents a lot of that. Most side clusters are 6" or closer to the sides which means too close for debris to block a straight line since they are measured from the edge to edge.
Remember to check my Blog out at http://thehotlz.blogspot.com/

If you are on Facebook check out my Page https://www.facebook.com/thehotlz/ where I post all my articles videos, and do contests and events!

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

PostSat May 06, 2017 3:37 am

Sure but you still can't reach the small clusters without max thrust and you need to be right along the edge if there is any debris near the area at all which means the enemy knows exactly where you need to go if you want to grab that cluster while Scourge and Shaltari have more options.

All in all the negatives are very small and the positives are work it.

Return to General Discussion